Author Topic: Alternative to FIRE Calc?  (Read 3135 times)

Rebecca Stapler

• Pencil Stache
    • Stapler Confessions
Alternative to FIRE Calc?
« on: August 09, 2014, 09:57:46 AM »
I would love to be able to use the same method as FIRE Calc to look at what our retirement could be like if we retire in 30 years, and FIRE Calc's maximum is 30 years. So, I can use it to see where my portfolio could be in 30 years, but I would like to see what it could look like during retirement, given our current spending.

Any suggestions?

sol

• Walrus Stache
Re: Alternative to FIRE Calc?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 10:01:29 AM »
Firecalc will do periods longer than 30 years.  It's right there on the front page, the third box is labelled "Years" and you can turn it up to 50 or whatever.

The best alternative to firecalc is cFIREsim but it's really designed for people with a deeper understanding of the problems who want to explore some of the subtleties.  If you haven't figured out how to ask firecalc for a 50 year retirement, it might be too complicated for you right now.

Rebecca Stapler

• Pencil Stache
    • Stapler Confessions
Re: Alternative to FIRE Calc?
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 10:07:42 AM »
Firecalc will do periods longer than 30 years.  It's right there on the front page, the third box is labelled "Years" and you can turn it up to 50 or whatever.

The best alternative to firecalc is cFIREsim but it's really designed for people with a deeper understanding of the problems who want to explore some of the subtleties.  If you haven't figured out how to ask firecalc for a 50 year retirement, it might be too complicated for you right now.

LOL! that's what I get for not reading the directions carefully! And no, I don't want subtleties. Just a general picture. Thanks!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!