Author Topic: Allergen - free shelf stable food for hospital?  (Read 2689 times)

Kaydedid

• Stubble
Allergen - free shelf stable food for hospital?
« on: February 17, 2015, 09:56:44 PM »
We're getting ready to have a baby in a few weeks, and I'm getting together a bag of stuff for the husband and I while we're in the hospital.

One of the major things to pack will be food/snacks for the husband - he eats a lot, hospital dining services are pricey and not open at all hours, and the vending machines are full of overpriced crap. 

I normally would pack nuts and nut products for something like this, but want to be sensitive about bringing allergens in.  I have a background in food safety, so nuts are really the only allergen I'm worried about due to the potential of serious problems with minor (even secondary) exposure.

I'm thinking maybe granola bars, dried fruit, maybe jerky?  Any other suggestions?  Fresh fruits and veggies are nice, but I don't know if we'll have the time to prep them before going in.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Allergen - free shelf stable food for hospital?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 10:11:21 PM »
Wowbutter.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 11:21:34 PM »
I have spent more time in hospitals the last couple of weeks then I care to think about. Having a couple tetra packs (resealable) of coconut water really helped.  I would add a squeezed lemon and some chia seeds to the carton to slip in some extra nutrition and variety.

Will you have access to a communal or patient fridge? Mason Jar salads, instant soups in jars http://www.veggiebelly.com/2013/11/almost-instant-noodle-soup-recipe.html and http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/09/diy-instant-noodle-cups-food-lab.html are both good options, or you could bring in a travel cooler if no fridge is available.

Good Luck, best wishes to your new family:)

Clarion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 11:29:00 PM »
Bake some healthy muffins, biscuits, sausage rolls and pack them individually in the freezer ready to pull out if needed.  You can take them in to the hospital frozen. 

mollyjade

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 10:10:26 AM »
I would check with the hospital about allergens. The maternity ward I was in had a jar of peanut butter in the kitchen area for people to make themselves sandwiches. You might be making things more difficult for yourself for no reason.

For produce, try unsweetened applesauce cups, tetrapack tomato soup, sun dried tomatoes, dried edamame, and mandarins.

You could also look for ready-to-eat pouches of Indian food, though these would be significantly better heated.