Author Topic: All these acronyms!  (Read 7550 times)

TygerTung

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
All these acronyms!
« on: October 20, 2013, 12:27:15 AM »
Please tell me what they all mean!

C. K.

• Bristles
Re: All these acronyms!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 01:50:56 AM »
Which acronyms do you mean? Please be specific so we can help you.

These might start you off:
  • DIY = Do It Yourself. Usually referring to manual labor that is often hired out but a homeowner has decided to do himself/herself, like fixing the plumbing. A Mustachian tries to cut costs by knowing these skills.
  • ELF =  Easy, Light and Fun. ELF is the name of Rob Cotter's line of bikes/electric cars
  • ER = Early Retirement
  • ERE = Early Retirement Extreme. Also refers to the website of the same name and its philosophies.
  • FIRE = Financially Independent, Retiring Early. (or some variation of those words) No two definitions of "independent" and "early" and "retirement" are the same for Mustachians. Some use just FI or just RE sometimes because they are talking about one but not the other in a post.
  • FU ="Forget You" That is a more polite way to say it.  And "FU Money" just means having enough cash saved to walk off your job without fear of being able to support yourself because you are FI (or getting there).
  • GSM = Global System for Mobile Communications. It's one of two major radio systems used in cell phones. Read this article: GSM vs SDMA
  • GV = Google Voice. Lots of Mustachians ask about using this service to reduce phone bills.
  • MMM = Mr. Money Mustache, of course. Our host, the man who started the blog and forum. Also known as Mr. MM.  It also refers to the simplistic lifestyle and philosophies that that he espouses. It also refers to the blog.
  • MMMer = A person who follows at least some of MMM's advice.
  • Mrs. MM = Mrs. Money Mustache. Our host's wife and co-contributor to the blog.
  • SFBA of SF Bay= San Fransisco Bay Area. There seem to be a lot of Californians among us.
  • WaPo = Washington Post. A U.S. newspaper that some Mustachians refer to a bit.
I don't mean to insult you with any of these. I just don't know which acronyms are giving you trouble. Be specific, please. Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------
Edit
I could have saved myself some time.

The official Mr. Money Mustache Frequently Asked Questions section links to the following page of acronyms on the Early Retirement Forum (a completely other website): http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f32/acronyms-and-slang-frequently-used-on-the-forum-19058.html
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 02:24:28 AM by C. K. Dexter Haven »

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 02:14:11 AM »
Also you can google acronyms. I often need to, being older (=not groovy) and from a different country.

TygerTung

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 11:23:19 AM »
Thanks thats great.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 01:48:45 PM »
Also you can google acronyms. I often need to, being older (=not groovy) and from a different country.

LMGTFY      :-)

Maybe this should be a sticky

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 12:53:37 AM »
BMG :)

laughing_paddler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 07:41:53 AM »