Author Topic: Aldi experiment  (Read 27250 times)

PencilThinMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Aldi experiment
« on: July 01, 2014, 04:30:18 AM »
One month ago I ventured on here with our family's massive spending budget and asked for some suggestions on how to whittle down expenses.  I have some (OK, well lots) of work to do.  But also have some positive progress to report. 

The first was related to our $750/mo grocery budget/habit.  I embarked on an experiment to only shop at Aldi, not the usually bi-weekly trips to the local upscale Publix chain.  Of course I failed.  Went to Sam's Club as well as a local butcher/fish shop, but managed to avoid Publix save for one trip to buy milk for our son.

I should qualify this by pointing out that despite the budget being 750, we routinely spent $800 or more monthly on groceries

The June result: $458

We nearly trimmed it in HALF.  Now I know it will seem high to many of you still, but the fact remains that with little "sacrifice" we were able to strip nearly $400 off our budget.  The challenge of saving money appealed to my wife who has taken up some "couponing" endeavors to save even more.  Im pretty confident we can get it below $400.  and let me be clear: we still ate like kings.  Fresh meats, fruits, veggies and paleo goodness (not all organic though).   

Now I'm ready for the next challenge!  Thanks for your support Mustachians!

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Aldi experiment
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 05:49:31 AM »
That's fantastic!  I love Aldi's, especially their fruit and veg sales.  We just recently became Costco members, and I'm still trying to navigate what is a deal there and what is not.

If your wife will work your menus around what goes on sale/what she has a coupon for plus you start buying in bulk on some items, it will get even lower!  Also, paleo is pretty meat heavy (or at least what I've seen) but we've been known to make a large steak last by slicing it thinly and tossing with vegetables - we've gotten 2 meals out of one steak before for our family of 4 (to be fair, our kids are little!).  So consider really stretching out your meat or going meatless a few nights a week as veg and sides are usually less per pound than meat. 

But good job!  That's fantastic progress. 

darkadams00

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 06:03:04 AM »
Congrats on your first month! With three of us in the house (2 adults/1 college student), we manage to stay roughly around the $100/week level. It's also easier to make budget in the summer because produce prices fall, we don't tend to eat as heavily because we're outside more, and we eat less meat/more produce due to fresh, local supply. Some folks on this board beat that number, but that's a number that's below the family budget of every friend and family I personally know (if we've ever discussed such things). To get lower would require much more work for less savings...diminishing returns and all that.

The one thing we did change this spring was that we bought a nearly new bike trailer, put a sturdy "floor" in it, and now use it exclusively to go to the grocery stores, produce stand, and farmer's market. That is an effort to minimize costs and maximize life that we embrace.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 06:07:12 AM »
After years of hearing about Aldi, I finally got to go into one last week while visiting NY State.

I thought they had very good prices on staples compared to the local stores.

I hope they come to Texas soon.

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 07:18:24 AM »
After years of hearing about Aldi, I finally got to go into one last week while visiting NY State.

There's one down the street from me in Houston. I had never heard of Aldi until I saw it posted on here. Then I noticed the store about 2 weeks later. Still haven't been in there though... :/

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 07:27:17 AM »
Make sure you take your quarter for your cart, bring bags to pack up, and be ready to bag your own groceries.  My DH didn't realize this and his first trip to Aldi's annoyed him so much he hasn't gone by himself since.  LOL.  I love it, though, as long as I'm prepared. 

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 07:31:02 AM »
Awesome! It's amazing how much "low hanging fruit" there can be in a bloated budget--stuff that you can improve without even a lifestyle change. Keep it up! I used to live where there was a Publix and I sympathize with the struggle to stay out of it :-).

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 07:32:13 AM »
That's fantastic!  I love Aldi's, especially their fruit and veg sales.  We just recently became Costco members, and I'm still trying to navigate what is a deal there and what is not. 

Let us know how that works out for you. I shop regularly at Aldi and have considered joining Costco, but I'm convinced Costco is actually any cheaper (let alone cheaper enough to be worth it).

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 07:37:04 AM »
Sounds obvious, but I've learned to keep a couple of quarters and my packing bags in my car. That way, I am always prepared for Aldi's. (Did this after forgetting a couple times and merrily heading out from home without what I needed--a waste of gas having to go back.) Aldi's grocery bills are routinely half of what I pay at our nearby Giant Eagle--although Aldi's doesn't have everything I need, and I do have to pick up some things at other stores.

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 07:48:23 AM »
Make sure you take your quarter for your cart, bring bags to pack up, and be ready to bag your own groceries.  My DH didn't realize this and his first trip to Aldi's annoyed him so much he hasn't gone by himself since.  LOL.  I love it, though, as long as I'm prepared.

So, for us new guys, we take our own grocery bags/sacks?

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 07:55:02 AM »

One interesting thing about Aldi is that they don't take goods out of boxes and set them on shelves individually; instead they merely stack up the inventory in the boxes it gets shipped in and open the first box. The upshot is that if you forget your bags, you can just go grab one of the empty boxes to carry your groceries around in.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 07:56:26 AM »

Yup.

Also, if no one mentioned it before, they don't take credit cards.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 08:00:04 AM »
The cashiers don't bag, they just put the food in another cart they have standing by. There's a long shelf at the end where you can pause to bag or box up your stuff at your leisure.

The quarters are for the carts. They're linked together and you insert a quarter to release one. You get it back when you bring it back and plug it back in.

It takes some getting used to, but I understand that it helps keep costs down by reducing staff.

unseenstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 08:02:03 AM »
We recently switched to Aldi from our local grocery chain.  Cut our monthly Grocery bill for 2 adults from $400 to $200.  We get everything but Veggies there, as we stop on the way home at the local Farmers Market.  I find I greatly enjoy the way the store is run.  I notice they keep their inventory very low, they use limited amount of workers whom they seem to pay well and are happy.  They have you bag your own groceries and use the simple quarter trick to get you to return your cart.  I also find our local store to be incredibly clean and very efficiently planned.  I find our time spend shopping is cut in half from this efficiency as well.  I enjoy bagging the groceries when done, as I just marvel at how simple the whole process is, and think about how the savings is passed onto me.  I am 100% sold on Aldi.   

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 08:12:46 AM »

Yup.

Well that's a bummer. But I guess it's another way they keep costs down.

The whole thing sounds super interesting!

rebel100

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 08:17:32 AM »
Totally into Aldi, there Save-a-lot, and Trader Joe's (occasionally) account for 95%+ of our shopping.

Aldi tends to be in much better neighborhoods than Save-a-lot.  I'm not scared of much but SaL's tend to make my spidey senses tingle, I walk through the parking lot looking for cover and identifying good spots from which I could return fire, but the prices are great! :)

Did you know that Trader Joe's is owned, though operated independently, by the same family that owns Aldi?  I see similarities across many of their product lines and suspect they may often share sources.

rebel100

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 08:19:26 AM »
True, but you can use your debit card for purchases https://www.aldi.us/en/services/faqs/

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2014, 08:24:04 AM »

We have one in Grand Prairie, Texas.  Went once and hated it, but we pretty much only buy meat and veggies, so the selection was pretty sparce for us.

keepitsimple

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2014, 08:27:32 AM »
Just in for the Aldi lovefest...I used to be a doubter now I'm a huge fan!  Did you know they carry both almond and soymilk?  Be still my non-dairy heart.

PencilThinMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2014, 08:48:05 AM »
Thanks for the responses!

Sydneystache

• Bristles
  • Aiming for RE!
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2014, 08:55:56 AM »
From last week's special here, bought 25g of Italian summer black truffles from Aldi. Not as pungent as the winter or French ones...but at $8, I ain't complaining. The Aussie truffles here are charging $50-100 for the same amount.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2014, 10:12:16 AM »
I've also been having my own little Aldi experiment. I'm trying extra hard to cut costs because I'm quitting my job to go back to grad school this fall...Right now we'll need to take out about $5k in loans to cover the costs, so every dollar we spend is a $ that we are borrowing & vice versa. It finally dawned on me that Aldi is on one block, 4 blocks south is Target & Jewel, and 4 block north is Food 4 Less.

So now, we go to Aldi first every weekend, then depending on what's left on my list, go to Food 4 Less (cheap meat, but I'm trying not to buy any while it's summer & produce is so affordable), Target (cheap staples and reasonable selection but lousy produce & and I'm SO bad at not buying unnecessary things there), or Jewel (great produce but ridiculous prices). The last three weeks, we've managed to spend only about $60/week, instead of the $100 or so we've been averaging, although to be fair I am draining our freezer some at the same time. I'm really happy with our "experiment" so far though!

I also think that Aldi has really upped their game in terms of selection & product offerings, so if you haven't been in a couple years, take another look! I was really amazed at some of the things they carry & at great prices!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2014, 10:59:32 AM »
Meh. Aldi's is not cheaper for me. The regional grocer I shop at has a ridiculously low markup and, as a result, is often cheaper than Aldi's while having INSANE amount of selection.

I tried shopping at Aldi, but if I go there I can no longer justify driving the other direction to shop at the cheap grocer. So then I'm stuck shopping at pricier stores to get what Aldi's doesn't have. Any and all savings kissed goodbye.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2014, 11:05:36 AM »
The Aldi in Dallas that I go to carries Almond Milk.

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2014, 12:20:49 PM »

They are in the DFW area.  There are two near me that I know of.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2014, 12:23:06 PM »
The Aldi in Dallas that I go to carries Almond Milk.

Mine carries soy milk. Haven't looked for almond.

PencilThinMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2014, 06:28:53 PM »
I have been pleasantly surprised by their selection as well.  The produce is above average.  Nuts and other dry goods are ridiculously cheap, but we dont eat much in the way of the "dry goods" as a paleo family.  The meat selection is somewhat lacking and I prefer to get from local farmer (have half cow on order now!)  or at east Sams where you can even get bulk packs of fresh wild alaskan salmon all summer long.  Aldi salmon was awful.  Just awful.  Reminded me of the hospital cafeteria.  They even have a gluten free section (I'm not here to judge your dietary habits but just b/c its GF doesnt make it healthy...most looked like junk food with rice instead of wheat). 

I guess I agree with the rest of you: Aldi provides good selection of quality products at sometimes astonishingly low prices (avocado was 59 freakin cents!), but you will likely have to make it one of several stops on the weekly shopping train to eat a balanced/picky/specialty diet. 

Mr. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
    • Frugalwoods
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2014, 06:57:29 PM »

Let us know how that works out for you. I shop regularly at Aldi and have considered joining Costco, but I'm convinced Costco is actually any cheaper (let alone cheaper enough to be worth it).

It can quickly be worth it if you buy dog food, over the counter meds, and laundry detergent.  That stuff is sooo much cheaper at costco.

I _really_ need to get to an aldi.  This thread may have pushed me over the edge.  There's not one in our town, but there is one a couple of towns over.  Not a super convenient location, but fighting some traffic might be worth it with all of these raving reviews!

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2014, 08:20:37 PM »
Love this post...it's saved me a ton and I tell everyone about it.

cmk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2014, 08:49:17 PM »
I've been shopping at Aldi since 1999 and I feel like a fool when I shop elsewhere. Seriously, I mentally figure out how much I'm overpaying if I go to Giant Eagle.

Most of the foods are exactly the same as name-brand, but you can save so much because of they way Aldi has optimized the procedures in the store.  Checking out is very quick, employees are efficient yet amiable, and you save money by doing a little of the job yourself!

I would guess that I've saved $250/month for the last 15 years because I shop at Aldi.  Very mustachian!

I am also a Costco member, I like their fresh meats and paper products and stock up about once a month.

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2014, 09:22:46 PM »
I even prefer Aldi's products compared with premium brand. When I first went there I was taken back because of the $.25 cent cart but it makes sense....no big deal. The only thing I don't like is I can't use credit card and I feel sometimes I'm cheating the system. I can afford shopping some where else but don't. I see some people in there that are suffering or using food stamps and I wonder if I'm messing up the system.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2014, 10:23:38 PM »

As with everything Costco is all about Knowing your prices.  I can pay for a membership just in savings on frozen fruit and peanut butter. YMMV.

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2014, 09:14:06 AM »
So far (and I"ve only been once) I found that over-the-counter, off-brand allergy pills could pay back my membership.  Both of my kids are on off brand Claritin, and I bought what amounts to almost a year supply for what I can pay for 3 months at the local store.  If I don't renew, I will stock up on that at least.  We went on a Saturday, with two small children, it was overwhelming.  I think my hubby and I will go on his day off once every 5 weeks or so and not take the kids - we'll be able to think a little clearer that way.   It's too far for us (like 15 minutes) to make it my weekly place to get groceries.  I'll keep Aldi for that!

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2014, 11:42:35 AM »
Someone up-thread said the salmon was awful, and I agree. I don't like their canned tuna either. YMMV--most of their food is great, and I've been very pleased. I think that just by going regularly, you learn what works for you and what doesn't. I've figured out by trial and error what to buy where.

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2014, 11:48:28 AM »
From last week's special here, bought 25g of Italian summer black truffles from Aldi. Not as pungent as the winter or French ones...but at $8, I ain't complaining. The Aussie truffles here are charging $50-100 for the same amount.

Your Aldi stores sell truffles?!  Everything in Australia might be "trying to kill you" but at least you get discount truffles! :-)

The Resilent Dame

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2014, 04:24:41 PM »
Meh. Aldi's is not cheaper for me. The regional grocer I shop at has a ridiculously low markup and, as a result, is often cheaper than Aldi's while having INSANE amount of selection.

I tried shopping at Aldi, but if I go there I can no longer justify driving the other direction to shop at the cheap grocer. So then I'm stuck shopping at pricier stores to get what Aldi's doesn't have. Any and all savings kissed goodbye.

Woodman's? I finally bit the bullet and started shopping there and am saving hundreds/month. There's a Sendik's within 1/2 mile of my house which is easily 2x the cost of Woodman's but the location and produce quality sometimes wins out. Also, I'm learning to figure out Woodman's produce, since a lot of it seems to be of questionable age/storage/etc. I mostly buy staples there since I get most of my meat from a local farmer and a CSA box in the summer.

Sydneystache

• Bristles
  • Aiming for RE!
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2014, 06:03:54 PM »

Your Aldi stores sell truffles?!  Everything in Australia might be "trying to kill you" but at least you get discount truffles! :-)

Heh. Happy to eat truffles surrounded by vipers, red backs and drop bears.

Actually Aldi has different types of specials week. Could be bike week, snow week etc. The truffle week also had anchovies, wild rice, saffron and cuttle ink. Some Aldis here also sell liquor - a bottle for the price of a glass. Can't complain.

Sparkie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Stealthsprinter
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2014, 06:25:19 PM »
Actually Aldi has different types of specials week. Could be bike week, snow week etc. The truffle week also had anchovies, wild rice, saffron and cuttle ink. Some Aldis here also sell liquor - a bottle for the price of a glass. Can't complain.

I love the weekly specials. I bought a pair of steel capped leather work boots, a pair of fleece lined walking boots, and some leather lace up shoes, all for under $30 / pair.  Last week I bought an electric tile cutter which works good. The quality of the products seems pretty good.

curlycue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2014, 06:47:44 PM »

Yup.

I think it must depend on the Aldi's, mine does take credit cards and I use my debit.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2014, 07:18:10 PM »

Woodman's? I finally bit the bullet and started shopping there and am saving hundreds/month. There's a Sendik's within 1/2 mile of my house which is easily 2x the cost of Woodman's but the location and produce quality sometimes wins out. Also, I'm learning to figure out Woodman's produce, since a lot of it seems to be of questionable age/storage/etc. I mostly buy staples there since I get most of my meat from a local farmer and a CSA box in the summer.

Yup, woodmans. Have never had abnormal issues with their produce. The only thing that's annoying is that they rarely have yellow bananas on the days I go, only green ones that take an unpredictable amount of time to ripen.

Feel free to PM. I don't want to hijack the cult of Aldi thread :P

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2014, 07:55:59 PM »
I love Aldi, wayy cheaper and they have a great selection. I go there every other week. The Aldi brand of food is solid (except for their mayo, not a fan of their mayo).

happyfeet

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2014, 08:03:55 PM »
Love Aldi.  Favorites are the lowfat vanilla yogurt in the big tub, their red pepper hummus, the pesto, wraps, veggies, fruit, butter lettuces in a bag, organic milk, fresh mozzarella and fresh parm.  All cheaper than grocery.  I do not buy the meat there and also not a fan of the mayo.  Their sweet potato chips are yummy too.  And their granola also.  Just always have to take cash since I do not have a debit card.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2014, 09:00:12 PM »
We love Aldi's.  They're particularly good for snack foods, milk and dairy (we don't do the almond milk thing, so I can't weigh in on that topic), eggs, cheese, chicken, and some frozen items -- we often buy the individual chicken breasts and the Gyro kit.  Oh, and the little juice bottles my daughter likes to take for her school lunch.  And vegetables. 

Great big YUCKS for beef in the fresh case, frozen pizzas (Mama something brand -- seriously, we threw away the second one, and we'll eat pretty much anything once we've purchased it). 

Their selection is a bit lacking, but for the prices, it's a very worthwhile stop! 

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2014, 08:48:43 AM »

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2014, 10:26:17 AM »
And they pay their employees well.  I live in Iowa, very low cost of living, and last time I was there they had a help wanted flyer on the door.  They were hiring full time cashiers for $12.50/h and team leads for $16.50/h.  Minimum wage is $7.25/h.  So that's pretty darn decent starting pay for unskilled workers!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2014, 11:05:04 AM »
aldi takes mastercard

Not in the US.  Cash or debit cards only.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2014, 11:07:34 AM »
And they pay their employees well.  I live in Iowa, very low cost of living, and last time I was there they had a help wanted flyer on the door.  They were hiring full time cashiers for $12.50/h and team leads for $16.50/h.  Minimum wage is $7.25/h.  So that's pretty darn decent starting pay for unskilled workers!
They pay their workers well, and their workers work efficiently for it.  The cashier doesn't sit and play Angry Birds/Flappy Bird/Candy Crush/whatever when nobody is at the checkout.  They'll be stocking or cleaning or something.  Beats the hell out of other grocery stores where you'll see five cashiers and five baggers twiddling their thumbs while nobody is at the checkout.  It's still cheaper to hire one $12.50/hr employee than half a dozen $8/hr zombies.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2014, 11:14:45 AM »
Aldi is our go-to for avocados, sweet potatoes, cheese, maraschino cherries, english muffins, and a few other odds and ends. The one here is right across the street from another grocery chain, so it's easy enough to pop into both on the same shopping trip and just buy whatever's cheaper in each store.

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2014, 11:39:14 AM »
Heh. Happy to eat truffles surrounded by vipers, red backs and drop bears.

But the big question: is there an Aldi brand vegemite?  :-)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2014, 12:23:56 PM »
I'm a big fan of Aldi's and, and also am a fan of the concept of no-thrills but low prices. For instance, a friend of mine is running the Monocqua No Frills marathon, which costs $35, which is insanely cheap. It does this by keeping everything simple and focusing moreso on the actual race.

The concept is similar for Aldi's, rather than paying people to bring the carts in, they instead require a 25 cent deposit to check it out, which lowers their overhead and enables them to keep their prices down. Same goes for bagging, which I am glad for the incentive as it is a reminder to keep a bag in my car for any groceries.