Author Topic: Alaskan Mustachians, where are the cheapest places?  (Read 2537 times)

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
Alaskan Mustachians, where are the cheapest places?
« on: August 25, 2014, 12:36:14 PM »
We are planning to spend about 2 years in Alaska (maybe two winters, but at the very least, two summers and one winter.   I do not know if we will apply for Alaskan residency (we won't be there long enough to get the oil gift/payment).

During the summer we are going to roam around in our truck/camper, but during the winter we will settle down in an apartment or house rental.

Those of you living in Alaska on the cheap, where do you spend winter?   I am guessing the cheapest is near Anchorage, but slightly outside the main downtown area.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
Re: Alaskan Mustachians, where are the cheapest places?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 12:41:09 PM »
I'll be following this thread, everything I have heard about AK is that it is terribly expensive.  Although so is NY and I know people make it work there.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Alaskan Mustachians, where are the cheapest places?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 12:53:34 PM »
I'll be following this thread, everything I have heard about AK is that it is terribly expensive.  Although so is NY and I know people make it work there.

Sure, love to have others follow and ask questions I may not have thought to ask.

As far as expensive, I see on craigslist right now about 10 or 15 1bd or 2bd apartments for under $1200 a month near Anchorage.   Going from boondocking in our truck camper all summer, even a 400 sq-ft 1bd would be like a mansion :-)

I still want to get out and about during the winter but I don't want to be driving the camper a lot in the snow...I would probably take it off the truck and just use the trucks for carrying our snowmobiles (eh, snowmachines in Alaska).   I would park the dual sport motorcycles with the camper at some cheap storage facility.