Author Topic: Airvoice Wireless howto?  (Read 25109 times)

rugorak

• Bristles
Airvoice Wireless howto?
« on: February 06, 2013, 08:40:12 AM »
So I am about ready to take the plunge. But have a few questions that I figure someone can answer here.

1. Sim to micro sim. It seems that they only sell a regular sim. My phone takes a micro sim. I have seen precut sims for sale on Amazon and MMM just cut his down using scissors and from the guides I have seen it doesn't seem too difficult. I see IP Daley suggesting a special cutting tool in some threads as well. Any suggestions one way or the other on this?
2. With the 30 day time period on the plans is there a way to set it up to just keep going until you say otherwise? Basically can I purchase my time ahead of time so I am never without? It is slightly confusing and almost seems like if I buy my first 30 days and then pay for the next 30 days on day 29 I lose that last day. I'd rather be able to buy 30 days and on day 15 or 20 or whenever buy the next 30 days that takes effect the second the last one ends. Or even an autopayment until I turn it off.
3. Not really airvoice but I am currently on Verizon and get all my statements, etc electronically. After the port over of my number how do I pay them anything that might be owed, etc? With some bad experiences I have had with them in the past I kind of worry they'll insist on keeping everything electronic yet shutdown my account because of the port and so on. I read about people leaving verizon on other threads so again I figure someone has some experience even if they didn't port to airvoice.

Thanks in advance!

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
Re: Airvoice Wireless howto?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 09:40:30 AM »
1) I only recommended the cutting tool if you weren't confident enough to go at it with a template, scissors and a nail file, which is the cheapest and fastest (if you count shipping time) way to do it. Check out a few videos demonstrating how to do the mod with scissors and decide how you want to proceed for yourself. Otherwise, stay away from pre-cut micro sims off Amazon... they're just charging you the cost of the tool to score the plastic, if you want to spend extra for pre-cut, just get the punch.

2) This is the one downside of most of these MVNOs, you can lose days here and there with the service and renewals, and you have to be diligent about adding time yourself. H2O Wireless has auto-renewal for their plans IIRC, and they're an AT&T MVNO just like Airvoice, but their customer support's taken enough of a nosedive over the past year that I'm just not jumping up and down about them anymore. However, like Platinumtel and Airvoice, they've been around for a good number of years and have demonstrated long-term MVNO market survival, so they aren't likely to dry up and vanish like a majority of the latest crop of new providers will. Sometimes Airvoice's monthly plans will stack when added, and sometimes they reset the clock. I want to say they're back to time stacking, but none of my family's currently on Airvoice, so I can't directly confirm without contacting Airvoice directly. Can any other users confirm the current policy right now?

3) They'll send you a final bill.

Given the namecheck on Verizon and mention of the micro SIM, you aren't by chance trying to take a CDMA Verizon iPhone 4S over to Airvoice, are you? TheDude might be able to better confirm this, but even with a clean ESN and "unlocked" (which won't happen until after you pay off your ETF), I don't know of any CDMA iPhone carrier that is unlocking GSM 850/1900 bands on their iPhone handsets. You typically have to do some combo of jailbreaking/baseband flash or invest in something similar to a Rebel or Gevey SIM overlay (I have not tried this, nor know anyone who has, and is now illegal to do with any phone purchased on or after January 29, 2013), they're all highly technical, carry a high risk of breaking things, and can potentially cost you money. Do keep it in mind if you haven't researched this point already.

rugorak

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 10:05:54 AM »
Given the namecheck on Verizon and mention of the micro SIM, you aren't by chance trying to take a CDMA Verizon iPhone 4S over to Airvoice, are you?

Nope. I can't stand the Apple ecosystem myself. Even at work when given the option of an iPhone I elected to stick with my ancient Blackberry.

I started looking at H20 as well this morning. It may be the better option for me. I am great at paying bills early but lousy about paying them on a specific day. I usually pay all my bills out of my first paycheck of the month and then save/invest the 2nd. Having to wait until the last day would drive me nuts I think. Going to think on it some more. I'm also debating just getting a new number and transferring my current number to Google Voice. I figure at least that way even if I do have something silly happen with whichever MVNO I end up going with I shouldn't miss anything as worst case it would get caught in voice mail.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 10:45:35 AM »
Nope. I can't stand the Apple ecosystem myself. Even at work when given the option of an iPhone I elected to stick with my ancient Blackberry.

Between this comment and something else that arrived in my inbox this morning, I'm grinning from ear to ear. I know it's not true, but it's always nice to be reminded that not everyone on these forums is hauling one of those smartphones around.

I'm not a huge advocate of GV, but it or another VoIP provider that does global call hunt might be a better solution for porting your number to in your situation, which isn't to say that there isn't value in building up your self discipline in such matters, but practicality sometimes has to trump badassitude.

rugorak

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 01:34:00 PM »
Between this comment and something else that arrived in my inbox this morning, I'm grinning from ear to ear. I know it's not true, but it's always nice to be reminded that not everyone on these forums is hauling one of those smartphones around.
I prefer options. Hence my choice of phone with GSM and sim (easier to move between carriers). I just don't like Apple. I am not a zealot. I have a coworker who is so anti-Apple he refuses to touch any of their products. Which is horridly amusing given that our boss is a big Apple fan.
I'm not a huge advocate of GV, but it or another VoIP provider that does global call hunt might be a better solution for porting your number to in your situation, which isn't to say that there isn't value in building up your self discipline in such matters, but practicality sometimes has to trump badassitude.
Since GV is currently free the only cost would be to port my number. Part of the reason I am considering it is it removes some risk and allows me to experiment a little bit with being more badass with my phone plan. As far as self discipline/badassitude vs practicality I look at it as such. The point of FIRE to me is to live the life you want on your own terms. To me part of that would be being able to go get lost in the woods for a few days (as in middle of nowhere no cell service), or go to a friends or family members for a visit and not have to worry about things on that particular day and just spend the time with them. Being able to do what needs to be done beforehand and afterwards. With having to renew on that specific day that breaks that ideal to me. Just my opinion but I doubt anyone here would be completely against that logic.

The big thing I am concerned about right now is that I have been actively searching for a new job. So I have a fair number of resumes/applications out with my current number. And I would hate to lose an opportunity because I missed a message/call.

Thanks for everything I.P. Daley. Your posts are what got me looking at this to begin with. And the fact you answer so many of our questions is just huge.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 02:11:10 PM »
I prefer options. Hence my choice of phone with GSM and sim (easier to move between carriers). I just don't like Apple. I am not a zealot. I have a coworker who is so anti-Apple he refuses to touch any of their products. Which is horridly amusing given that our boss is a big Apple fan.

I'm actually the same way in real life... it's more a philosophical dislike of the execution by the manufacturers and providers, not a dislike of the platform itself. It just seems more like a burning annoyance online with me lately due to a bit of iPhone overload on the forums here. Apple and the MNO carriers have this little device engineered to extract as much money out of you as possible and prevent what should be a CDMA/GSM world phone from being network portable or end-user repairable to help ensure needlessly wasteful hardware upgrades... it's the embodiment of everything that mustachianism isn't, yet people cling to the things like they're a body part, even here. Some days are harder than others to keep saying, "it's just a phone." That frustration crept in, sorry about that.

Since GV is currently free the only cost would be to port my number. Part of the reason I am considering it is it removes some risk and allows me to experiment a little bit with being more badass with my phone plan. As far as self discipline/badassitude vs practicality I look at it as such. The point of FIRE to me is to live the life you want on your own terms. To me part of that would be being able to go get lost in the woods for a few days (as in middle of nowhere no cell service), or go to a friends or family members for a visit and not have to worry about things on that particular day and just spend the time with them. Being able to do what needs to be done beforehand and afterwards. With having to renew on that specific day that breaks that ideal to me. Just my opinion but I doubt anyone here would be completely against that logic.

The big thing I am concerned about right now is that I have been actively searching for a new job. So I have a fair number of resumes/applications out with my current number. And I would hate to lose an opportunity because I missed a message/call.

Completely agreed. My only concern is even GV isn't really a service I'd consider reliable enough to that regard. I've missed calls and notifications with the service. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. Wouldn't hurt as a secondary failsafe, though.

Thanks for everything I.P. Daley. Your posts are what got me looking at this to begin with. And the fact you answer so many of our questions is just huge.

I just do what I can when I can. Glad to be of help... though I don't mind if folks show a little of that love back. :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 02:12:47 PM by I.P. Daley »

AnDaLe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 01:08:20 PM »
2)  I recently hopped on to Airvoice and they told me that the clock resets when you buy new time, and they do not stack.  You are basically losing a day of service a month if you want to have seamless service.  It's one bad thing about the company, but they have to make extra money somehow right?  I recently stepped in to the wrong direction when I moved to AirVoice (upgraded to a smartphone) due to the cheaper plan, but the cheaper plan will pay off itself in the near future and I made my justifications for it.

Now only if I was able to find a way to find out my usage on AirVoice rather than relying on my conservative smartphone...Anybody know?

rugorak

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 01:16:45 PM »
I just do what I can when I can. Glad to be of help... though I don't mind if folks show a little of that love back. :)

Cool. Last time I saw you post about your site you didn't have much on it. Looks like I have a bunch of reading to do :)

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »
Cool. Last time I saw you post about your site you didn't have much on it. Looks like I have a bunch of reading to do :)

Yeah, the wiki desperately needs some love, quality attention and time spent on it... and though I'm infrequent in blog postings, the posts are usually quite thorough. I've actually got an LED vs. incandescent lighting article in the wings that I'm waiting on a couple things for... let's just say that with the right switch, tungsten's not dead yet if you approach your lighting from a quality over quantity point. I also thoroughly expect to be drawn and quartered for speaking heresy in these parts for suggesting as much. ;)

2)  I recently hopped on to Airvoice and they told me that the clock resets when you buy new time, and they do not stack.  You are basically losing a day of service a month if you want to have seamless service.  It's one bad thing about the company, but they have to make extra money somehow right?  I recently stepped in to the wrong direction when I moved to AirVoice (upgraded to a smartphone) due to the cheaper plan, but the cheaper plan will pay off itself in the near future and I made my justifications for it.

Now only if I was able to find a way to find out my usage on AirVoice rather than relying on my conservative smartphone...Anybody know?

Are you on their $10 monthly plan or their Pay As You Go plan?

*777# SEND or 611 SEND should give you status... though you should be getting network messages after each call with remaining balance. Might want to check with Airvoice support.

As for the losing of days here and there with some MVNOs? I don't have a problem with that, personally, and haven't found many others who do either, especially when balance rollover is involved. Usually the savings wind up being drastic enough that the loss of a few days here and there with service is a small thing in comparison.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 02:39:16 PM »
I am about to make this same move, to AirVoice from AT&T on my iPhone.  I did buy the pre-cut SIM card from Amazon, it was only $4.99 with free shipping.  It seemed to be the same as just buying it from AirVoice, only without stressing about cutting it.  It cost less than the tool.  I am excited to make this move!  After reviewing my text and talk time, it turns out that my average usage puts me easily within the $10 for every month since I've had the phone.  I will have to bid adieu to data on the go, but it will be nice to have it in case of emergency, or for using up extra funds which seem like they'll build up for me.  I am still worried about actually DOING it, the tech stuff is not my thing.  I'm kind of skeered to mess with my phone in that way.

Edited to add link:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A1IK6P0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Edited again to add a question:  The name on my AT&T account is not my name. I am on someone else's plan.  On the port your number page, how do I get ME involved there?  Nowhere on that page is there info for me, just info about the ATT account, which is not me.  Am confuzzled.  I will probably need to call them.

Aaaand, I think I might have got it figured out.  What a shitty signup system they have!  So, my only question now is when I sign up for the account, do I use the phone number that I want to port over, or a different number?  Is that a "in case we need to call you" field or a "what do you want your phone number to be" field?  Because those are going to be two different numbers for a spell while I make the switch. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 02:53:46 PM by KulshanGirl »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 03:56:38 PM »
KulshanGirl-

Not a bad deal on the precut SIM, but as others have pointed out elsewhere, although Airvoice SIM cards are $5 from Airvoice directly, you can frequently score the uncut SIMs for as little as $1 off Ebay. Just a reminder for future reference.

As for the plan you've got picked out, I just ask for certainty as I've run into enough others here who missed the OR part of the $10 plan when they were number crunching. You are aware that the $10 plan is not 250 minutes and 500 text messages but 250 minutes or 500 text messages, right? I just point this out to err on the side of caution.

On the number porting form located here, you don't need to worry about the "you" stuff until after activation as that's something that is added/changed on your account at that point. Whatever number you're specifically wanting to use with your phone, if you want to use that number, you'll need to port it over at the point of activation. If the form is confusing, I've attached a screenshot that might help simplify the process for you.

If you don't want to port your number and just want a new wireless phone number, don't bother with that form, just follow the activation instructions that should have come with the SIM card. You can activate or port your number over the phone with a rep, too.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 04:21:17 PM »
Thank you so much for the replies!  Yes, I mean $10 TOTAL.  My talk minutes in my highest month from AT&T (195 minutes) would have cost $7.80 through AirVoice.  That would leave me with around 110 texts.  My highest text usage month was only 63.  And most of those were from either AT&T or the weather alert thing I signed up for.  Clearly, I am not a phone user.  I DO have friends, I really do!  LOL!  I do fool around on facebook a lot though, but eh.  I'll have wireless at home and I don't need the data out and around.  I am going to enable it though, in case I DO need it for ... whatever I might ever need it for.  Which will be probably nothing, ever.  A 66 cent facebook flyby now and then to burn off the extra.  :)  I do want to try to port my number, but won't be too bummed if it doesn't work ... since no ever one calls me, it seems.  Hehe.

Thanks again!

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 04:29:38 PM »
Oh!  Here's another question, might need a current AirVoice user to answer it though.  On that port number form, it asks for the PIN from my plan purchase.  Is that my account login?  Because the e-mail I got confirming my $10 plan purchase didn't have anything about a PIN on it.  I would think they aren't going to physically mail something to me, although they did ask for my mailing address. Seriously, what is wrong with them?  Someone needs to knock the webmaster's and marketing person's heads together.     

AnDaLe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 05:52:30 PM »
I.P. Daley--
I'm on their $40/month plan, and using the keys you provided just pops up a message with date at the end of my 30 day period.

KulshanGirl--
Are you referring to the Refill PIN number?

My friend did the $10 plan and he ordered his SIM and $10 prepaid card at the same time.  The $10 was a physical card for him with a PIN number on it.

I opted for the $40 plan, which does not come with a card.  I personally put "XXX" in it as MMM suggested in his steps from the $10 plan article.  I didn't pay for my $40 plan until after my old phone stopped working, and I assumed the number port was completed.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 07:00:08 PM »
Thanks, AnDaLe!  A physical card ... do you know if your friend orders a physical card every time to refill it?  That seems kind of strange, ordering online, waiting for an actual card with a pin number, and then logging back in to where you were before to enter that number?  That just seems like something that ought to be just taken care of at the site.  Ah well, I'm going to go and re-read that post.  :)

AnDaLe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 07:02:50 PM »
Sorry, but I don't know yet as we both just got on the plan this past week...

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 07:02:58 PM »
Thank you so much for the replies!  Yes, I mean $10 TOTAL.

Good, just wanted to make sure. :)

Oh!  Here's another question, might need a current AirVoice user to answer it though.  On that port number form, it asks for the PIN from my plan purchase.  Is that my account login?  Because the e-mail I got confirming my $10 plan purchase didn't have anything about a PIN on it.  I would think they aren't going to physically mail something to me, although they did ask for my mailing address. Seriously, what is wrong with them?  Someone needs to knock the webmaster's and marketing person's heads together.     

Nope. Your PIN is the number that should have been included in your e-mail from Prepaid Wireless after ordering from this page that your $10 credit should be tied to. If you ordered the airtime from this page, the order page is set up to add credit to existing accounts only. As such, credit will be auto-associated with whatever phone number you entered as belonging to the account. If you did this before activating your account with your phone number that you'll be porting over, you'll probably have to call with the order number from the email to straighten this out.

I agree that the website could be better laid out, but if you read it closely, it usually resolves any possible confusion. Also, the phone support folks are great... if you don't feel comfortable doing any of this online, you can call in to get the account set up.

Now, two more questions: Do you already have an account login, and have you already activated your SIM card? If yes to either of these questions, you might have jumped the gun and that might be part of your confusion and problems. Give them a call: 1-888-944-2355.

A physical card ... do you know if your friend orders a physical card every time to refill it?  That seems kind of strange, ordering online, waiting for an actual card with a pin number, and then logging back in to where you were before to enter that number?  That just seems like something that ought to be just taken care of at the site.  Ah well, I'm going to go and re-read that post.  :)

They don't mail out physical cards with online orders off the Airvoice site. If you order time directly from Airvoice, it's credited directly to your account. If you order from Prepaid Wireless or CallingMart, you're e-mailed a PIN number.

I.P. Daley--
I'm on their $40/month plan, and using the keys you provided just pops up a message with date at the end of my 30 day period.

Aah! That explains it. Those numbers are for minute balance, not data. IIRC, you need to set up your user account and log in to see what your remaining data balance is with the unlimited plans. If your usage isn't listed there, call support, they'll help you out.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 07:33:54 PM »
Derpy derpy durr.  I ordered from that second page, I didn't even know about that prepaid wireless site.  I have an account and login, the checkout made me make one.  Into which I entered the number I intend to port over eventually.  I have not received my SIM card yet or unlocked the phone.  I still need to pay the termination fee and get free of ATT too.  (This will happen when I have all of the pieces I need to go.  I was just getting ready to fill out that port number page, and I needed the PIN from a card, so I bought a card.  Le sigh.  Hopeless!  You see, both of my cell phones have been wholly under the management of someone else. I am a total noob to this, I didn't even know what a SIM card was or what it does.  LOL!

Derp.  I will call them.   

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 10:25:23 AM »
I just have to update ... before I even got around to calling AirVoice for help, I received an e-mail from them asking me to explain my dodo-headedness, in a friendly way.  (Which phone number is this refill attached to, noob? - only nicer) I was impressed that it was an e-mail that I was invited to reply to, which I did.  I then got a prompt reply to THAT e-mail instructing me what to do with my derpy self, as well as an invitation to call if I needed help.  Am impressed! 

FYI if anyone is interested, I will be entering the order number from my refill rather than a PIN when I do the port form.  It appears that there are actual people on the other end looking at things that people submit, whodathunkit?  :)

tiredMike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2013, 08:19:16 AM »
I want to switch over to Airvoice Wireless, but I have a verizon plan.  I have the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3.  Airvoice says that they've never known anyone who was successful at moving their Verizon phone over to Airvoice, because the Verizon phone is CDMA, and the Airvoice service uses GMA.  I read online that you have to get your Verizon phone unlocked first, then install the new sim card from the new carrier (in this case, from Airvoice), and then Airvoice should be able to read your new sim card, and you're good to go.  Does anyone know more about this?  Help !!!

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2013, 08:52:59 AM »
I want to switch over to Airvoice Wireless, but I have a verizon plan.  I have the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3.  Airvoice says that they've never known anyone who was successful at moving their Verizon phone over to Airvoice, because the Verizon phone is CDMA, and the Airvoice service uses GMA.  I read online that you have to get your Verizon phone unlocked first, then install the new sim card from the new carrier (in this case, from Airvoice), and then Airvoice should be able to read your new sim card, and you're good to go.  Does anyone know more about this?  Help !!!

http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f453/unlock-verizon-galaxy-s3-i535-world-gsm-phone-simplified-method-1563675/
http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f777/samsung-galaxy-s3-i535-exclusive-method-gsm-convert-1642669/#post9344990
https://www.verizonsgs3.us/guide-set-up-verizon-galaxy-s3-as-world-gsm-phone-confirmed-working/

More for the international crowd, some methods more complex than others, but it should work if you know what settings you need.

GSM radio is already carrier unlocked (Verizon 4G LTE device), it's just a matter of bending the Verizon firmware to your will so the phone will use GSM only. DO NOT FOLLOW ANY INSTRUCTIONS ON CHANGING YOUR IMEI IF YOU SEE ANY, IT IS ILLEGAL AND UNNECESSARY. You also won't get faster than 2G EDGE data speeds.

03Short_Timer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2013, 10:22:38 AM »
Don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but I figure it's better than starting a new one.

I have a question about still be under AT&T contract and switching to Airvoice. I'm sick of paying $108 for my monthly plan, so I'm going to bite the bullet and pay the $200+ to get out of my contract. I really like my iPhone 5, but I just don't NEED the data. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I) Since I'm still in contract, do I still need to unlock my phone?

II) I'm going to get the micro sim already cut from Amazon. When I get the sim card, is that when I start the process of porting my phone number?

III) During what stage do I pay the fee to terminate the contract?

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2013, 10:30:53 AM »
Short Timer, read this: How to save money with an iPhone

As for specifics: 1) Yes. 2) During activation, yes. 3) Usually with the final bill.

This is also relevant: What are the eligibility requirements for unlocking iPhone?

03Short_Timer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2013, 10:35:52 AM »

As for specifics: 1) Yes. 2) During activation, yes. 3) Usually with the final bill.

This is also relevant: What are the eligibility requirements for unlocking iPhone?

Thanks for the info I.P. One more question: if I unlock my phone while I wait for my sim card and I'm still under AT&T contract will It effect my phone in anyway? 

madage

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2013, 10:38:13 AM »

Thanks for the info I.P. One more question: if I unlock my phone while I wait for my sim card and I'm still under AT&T contract will It affect my phone in anyway?

No.

tiredMike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2013, 11:52:31 AM »
Daley,

I appreciate those links, but I'm still confused.   You said they were more for international crowds.  Do I need to do those things?  Or is my phone all set already (I have the Verizon Samsung Galaxy 3)?  Thx.

Mike

madage

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2013, 11:59:01 AM »
Daley,

I appreciate those links, but I'm still confused.   You said they were more for international crowds.  Do I need to do those things?  Or is my phone all set already (I have the Verizon Samsung Galaxy 3)? 

Did you read the links? They are specifically for turning your Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 into a functioning GSM phone. When Daley says "more for international crowds", he means the posts are geared to those wanting to take their phone to foreign countries, most of which only use GSM. When your phone is a fully functioning GSM phone, it will work on Airvoice and any other GSM provider (T-Mobile, AT&T, Ptel, etc).

tiredMike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2013, 07:03:20 AM »
Thanks Madage,  I get it now.  I was confused by the three different links.   But after re-reading them, the first link is the simpliest one to understand, and contains everything I need to unlock my Verizon phone and use a new sim card from AirVoice.  Thanks again.

madage

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2013, 07:04:34 AM »
You're welcome! Best of luck on your transition!

_JT

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2013, 08:13:28 PM »

Sorry for the thread necropsy, but I am prepping for this exact process, and I have a question. Got my airvoice sim ordered, and I am currently under an AT&T contract (I'm planning on switching to airvoice, porting my number, and then going back to AT&T to pay my ETF/cancel my service). Reading AT&T's text from that link you shared, it looks as though the parenthetical procedure I laid out may not work.

Quote from: ATT
In addition to the general eligibility requirements, you must meet the following requirements to unlock a phone or tablet you purchased with a Service Commitment (contract) if you're a postpaid customer:
Your account must be in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T).
You've satisfied all contract obligations, including any Service Commitment associated with the device to be unlocked, in one of the following ways:
Fulfillment of the Service Commitment by expiration of any contractual term
Payment of any applicable Early Termination Fee
Upgrading to a new device under AT&T standard or early upgrade policies
Important Note

Bolding mine. It looks as though I can't unlock my phone until I pay my ETF, but my understanding was once I did that AT&T would have canceled my account, meaning I'd lose my number. Is there a workaround that will allow me to do what I want?

_JT

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2013, 08:31:28 PM »
Sorry, but it looks as though further information in one of IP's posts on his website (linked in the post above) actually answers my question. I can port my AT&T iphone 5 to Airvoice and use talk/text but NOT data until my ETF is paid and account with AT&T terminated, yes?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!