Author Topic: Affordable shampoo and body wash for dry itchy skin?  (Read 10078 times)

StartingEarly

• Bristles
Affordable shampoo and body wash for dry itchy skin?
« on: December 06, 2014, 10:36:49 AM »
I have dry skin in the winter only.  I can't find shampoo or body wash that doesn't dry my skin out even at the higher prices.  I am wondering if someone has a cheap option that works well for them.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
Re: Affordable shampoo and body wash for dry itchy skin?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 11:04:31 AM »
A trick I use in the winter to reduce itchiness is just to wash the smelly spots every day and do the whole shower thing with homemade coconut oil/cocoa butter moisturizer twice a week.  Giving your hair a couple of minutes of brushing before you shampoo will extend time between shampoos.

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 11:05:24 AM »
I work in a paper mill, not showering daily would mean having all kind of chemicals staying on my skin all the time.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 11:06:36 AM »
Oh ick.  I see the problem.

Life in Balance

• Bristles
  • FIREd in 2019
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 11:14:22 AM »
So, this might sound a little strange, but you might look into the oil cleansing method (e.g. http://wellnessmama.com/7569/skin-oil-cleansing/ ).  It's typically for your face.  I use it year-round and my skin is baby soft and healthy.  I think if you put the oil on first, then you could wash it off with a gentle castile soap and solve the problem of the work chemicals and also the dryness. 

I'd also add that dietary adjustments can help alleviate skin issues, in my experience.  I used to have very painful dry skin (scaley and itchy in places) on my legs.  When I changed to a paleo diet, my skin stopped having problems of any kind.  It was like a miracle.  I just continue with the oil cleansing because it's so pampering. 

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 11:32:20 AM »
I work in a paper mill, not showering daily would mean having all kind of chemicals staying on my skin all the time.

For me, it's plain old Dove soap followed up by some body oil on parts (mostly legs, arms, decolletage) while I'm still wet from the shower. I got some nice French pharmacie oil as a gift but plain avocado oil is lovely, too.

Oil works best if you apply it when your skin is already damp to wet, as the oil forms a barrier to keep the water in.

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 01:49:18 PM »
I've still got a stash of Wen from my pre-Mustachian days.  No dryness or itching for the scalp, but it's not cheap.  As for the skin, I've got the same problem, so I'm anxious to see what is suggested here.  My face is turning red from soap lately.  Dove is just as bad as any other soap.  Right now I'm using some Ghilchrist &  Soames soap I got from a hotel.  Mt skin seems a bit better, but I know the brand is really pricey.  I'm willing to try just about anything, as my face is getting so bad this winter.  I may try that oil method suggested earlier.

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 03:05:22 PM »
Dove sensitive skin soap - not the regular bar - has been a wonderful find for me. At Costco, I got 8 bars/$16, so $2 a bar.

The soap should always be followed up with lotion, and for that, I think Cetaphil is the best I've used. Very gentle, and again, reasonable at Costco for 2 big bottles that last several months.

Cetaphil soap is also good - don't get the anti-bacterial kind, just the regular, and the bar lasts longer than the liquid - but after years of exclusively using the more expensive Cetaphil, I have been very happy with the results from the Dove.

I have SUPER dry skin, so I tend to baby it. If you want a combo of gentle body wash AND shampoo, you can always try Johnson & Johnson's Baby Wash, which is available... wait for it... at Costco in enormous bottles at a very reasonable price. Try a small bottle first to see if it works well for you.

As madgeylou says, put the lotion or oil on when your skin is still slightly damp. It creates a barrier and helps keep your skin moisturized longer.

The best money I EVER spent was to put a whole-house humidifier on our furnace. It keeps the humidity level in the house at about 45% all winter long. My skin doesn't crack, our sinuses stay in good shape, and we can keep the thermostat lower because the moist air is more comfortable than dry air.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 03:33:40 PM »
Dove sensitive skin soap - not the regular bar - has been a wonderful find for me. At Costco, I got 8 bars/$16, so $2 a bar.

i just checked and this is the kind of soap we use. my husband has touchy skin and this one doesn't irritate it.

kib

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 03:43:37 PM »
i've made a strange discovery.  more or less nothing but warm water and then a good toweling seems to do a better job than anything else.  I'm off shampoo and soap except for the rare moments when I feel super greasy or stinky, in which case I use a homemade soap made with olive and coconut oil, or a home made astringent made with everclear and essential oils. I also make a home made deodorant and toothpaste, that's my basic "kit" now.  It took a while to get my hair product free, and if it's greasy I will rub in a little arrowroot powder, but I'm just amazed at how, similar to medicines, the 'cures' to beauty and cleanliness 'problems' can make more problematic side effects than nothing at all.  And god knows water and a towel is about as cheap as you can get.

ETA:  I do not feel exactly the same as when I was stripping my body with every shower.  That took some getting used to, as I was trained just like everyone else that 'squeaky clean' is a good thing.  I'd suggest you try it for a set period of time - probably a month? before deciding you feel gross and it's not for you.  I actually like myself better now.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 03:51:00 PM by frufrau »

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 06:09:05 PM »
Do you shower at work?  Your job sounds like that is the type of change room.

If so, ask work to supply better/ different moisturizing soap.  The big suppliers have this as a common request, and have several options.  Hospitals and food manufacturing - it is very common to upgrade the soap to reduce employee skin problems and encourage frequent washing.

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2014, 06:43:47 PM »
There is the option to shower at work, but I don't like showering in public unless I get something on me I have to get off immediately.  I only shower at home.  I showered at work once because I got cleaning chemicals on my head and it started to burn.

JeffC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2014, 06:44:34 PM »
Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo.  It is great, seems to replace dandruff shampoo even, and it is 2.39 a bottle.  The citrus body wash they have smells awesome, like tangerines and lemons, but I guess I never thought of moisturizing as a function of body wash so I have no way of knowing if it stacks up on that front.   

LouLou

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2014, 06:57:09 PM »
A topic I know about! I have dry skin all year round, so I am an expert.

For your hair - try diluting whatever shampoo you already have, when you need to shampoo. I put equal parts shampoo and water in a small travel bottle right before I hop in the shower. I say "when you need to shampoo" because you should try washing your hair with conditioner alone at least half the time. I use diluted shampoo every fourth cleansing. Another option is sodium bentonite clay mixed with equal parts apple cider vinegar.

For your skin - I find that the type of soap/bodywash does not matter as much as what you do after the shower. In the winter I use coconut oil immediately after I shower. I keep a small jar at the office for after I wash my hands. Your skin will absorb the greasiness.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2014, 07:06:21 PM »
There is the option to shower at work, but I don't like showering in public unless I get something on me I have to get off immediately.  I only shower at home.  I showered at work once because I got cleaning chemicals on my head and it started to burn.

Very wise choice! - to wash right away..

I was given a couple bars of organic, hand made soap, using food grade oils, etc.  My skin cleared up, even though soap is supposed to be drying.

Rocky mountain soap company.  http://www.rockymountainsoap.com/#
One bar for face and hands lasts me two years, so cost is fine, although it seems high per bar.

And note..I am not an organic advocate, so was amazed at this impact.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2014, 08:07:52 PM »
I like Lush solid shampoo a lot. The Godiva is suppeerr moisturizing and it's only about $7. I've found their claims that it lasts as long as 3 salon sized bottles to be pretty true so its not a total ripoff.

ETA: Crap, they raised their prices a crazy amount and now its $12. That's a little steep for me but I do think its a quality shampoo for sensitive & dry skin.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 08:09:53 PM by mlipps »

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2014, 08:52:44 PM »
I stopped using shampoo years ago. All it does is strip your your hair of oil so you "need" conditioner.
For the last six months I have made a baking soda and lemon paste and set it on my hair and face once a week for twenty minutes. Then I rinse out and pour some apple cider vinegar on my head and do a quick rinse. After my hair is mostly dry I run through it with coconut oil. This eliminated lifelong dandruff, acne,  and dry and itchy scalp.
Giving up dairy didn't help for me. And I will NEVER stop eating chocolate.

My bodywash: Nubian Heritage Body Wash, African Black Soap
I also make my own lotion with coconut oil and shea butter
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 08:56:29 PM by mozar »

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2014, 08:57:38 PM »
I second the suggestion of baking soda paste with apple cider vinegar rinse for one's hair (although it took my hair a good month of ugliness to adjust to this, so you might want to be careful of the timing of starting).   

I also second the oil washing method; I started on my face and now use it all over and it works better than all the lotions I've tried.   I have a pump bottle reused filled with olive oil.   After a shower, I pump it into my hands and rub it all over.   After doing my whole self, I then follow by wiping over the areas with a barely damp warm cloth just to wipe off any extra that hasn't absorbed in and let air dry for a couple of minutes.

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2014, 09:08:58 PM »
I do the baking soda/vinegar thing for hair, and that helped me heaps. Note: I have oily/combination skin which is extremely sensitive. I have a smelly job sometimes, and my hair smells clean after rinsing.

For face, try avoiding soap on it- try oatmeal + milk + small amount of honey as a scrub and see how you go. Gentle, scrubby and moisturising all in one.

Have you thought about making your own soap? You could superfat it (i.e. add more fat/oil than the lye can convert so then there's residual oil left over) and it'll end up being a moisturising soap bar. In general handmade soaps are much more gentle on my skin than the store-bought ones, probably because the glycerin is kept in the bar, and because I superfat them. Vegetable based soaps are a lot more gentle than tallow-based soaps aswell. (The deal with glycerin- it's worth more than the soap, so they extract the glycerin, sell that off separately, then often other moisturisers etc. back into it).

Guardian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2014, 10:21:08 PM »
Legitimately: take cold showers. You'll need 90% less lotion, if any.

Hot showers aren't that great, and definitely aren't mustachian.

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2014, 12:34:45 AM »
I wonder if the hot showers thing is most of the problem, the itching seems to be mainly where the water falls most of the time.  Harder to take cold showers in the winter though and get in a cold bed, maybe a heated mattress pad will help.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2014, 01:29:28 AM »
I read somewhere the advice given to a fireman who had really dry/itchy skin.  It was to turn the temp of the shower down to just warm (no need to freeze your buns off) - hot water will open up your pores and a) the chemicals that are on your skin will be absorbed more readily, and b) so will the soap.  Also to not use soap/detergent every time - just a washcloth to rub yourself clean all over.  Soap can be used for feet and pits etc - the smelly bits and those prone to athletes foot :) 

Then after the shower, an all over oiling.  I use coconut oil, but no reason why olive oil wouldn't work - it's what the ancient Romans used for everything, afterall :)

Feedback from the fireman was good, apparently.

lpep

• Bristles
    • My MMM journal
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2014, 06:56:15 AM »
I used to wash my hair every day, sometimes every two days. Now I wash it once or twice a week. There's a period of adjustment with oily hair to get to this level, and lots of brushing - but once you get there, it's really fantastic! My hair is healthier and I don't spend nearly so much time dealing with my hair.

Start slow, going longer between washes, just rinse with water or maybe try some of the tricks other people mention, and eventually work your way up. You'll be glad you did!

Rpesek6904

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2014, 08:03:19 AM »
Dove Soap. Johnson's baby shampoo (even though you are an adult :).

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2014, 08:26:41 AM »
My children's pediatricians have always told me that liquid soap (aka body wash) is much more drying than bar soap. I switched them to Dove sensitive skin.

And you don't work seven days a week, right? Even skipping one shower a week might give your skin a break.

I have been slathering all three of us with generic Aquafor after showering. Pretty inexpensive and you really need to use not just a moisturizer (aka lotion) but an emollient (lanolin or petroleum jelly). My favorite lotion for the whole family is Babyganics. It's the cheapest fragrance- and paraben-free lotion I can find!

Distshore

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2014, 03:38:41 PM »
I have problem skin and about 18 months ago stopped using body wash altogether - had been using expensive stuff with glycolic acid in it, which was all I could find that didn't leave me a scaly mess.  Now I just use Dove bars on "the pits" and then every other day home-made sugar scrub (2/3 raw sugar, 1/3 olive oil; you can flavour it with essential oils if you have some) on the rest of me.  Cuts down on the moisturizer bills too!  Jojoba oil from TJ's for the face.  Noticeable improvement in skin.

You have to adapt a bit to the different feeling on your skin, but I like it now.  It towels off and I feel soft afterwards.

Only downside is heavier cleaning of shower needed.

I have not yet any experience with changing shampoo; I'm working up the bravery quotient to try non commercial shampoo!

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2014, 06:19:21 PM »
I have not yet any experience with changing shampoo; I'm working up the bravery quotient to try non commercial shampoo!

How about trying to stretch out the time between hair washes, e.g. every other day rather than every day? There'll be a settling in period, but you'll find that your scalp will produce less oil (technically, sebum). Will give your scalp a break. I used to 'need' to wash my hair every day, now it's more like every 1 or 2 weeks depending on time of year. I started doing this because my scalp was very red or inflamed regardless of the shampoo I used (yes, I tried everything from coal tar shampoos to baby shampoos).