Author Topic: Affordable Home Gym Equipment  (Read 3368 times)

Valley of Plenty

• Bristles
  • Toss a Coin to Your Net Worth
Affordable Home Gym Equipment
« on: March 20, 2020, 08:34:54 PM »
Now that COVID-19 has forced my favorite local 24 hour gym to close down, I'm strongly considering taking MMM's device and working out from home. I've always found the $30/month an acceptable fee for 24/7 access to a facility with dozens of workout machines allowing me to vary and fine tune my workouts, but if this shutdown is going to last into the summer, I might as well invest in some home equipment. If by the time this is all over I find that I'm still able to achieve the results I want without using a gym, then I'll just not bother resuming my gym membership.

In the meantime, I'm looking for recommendations on good, reasonably priced equipment for home use. I figure I'll need a bench (preferably adjustable), a combination bench/squat rack, a barbell, dumbbells, and accompanying weights.

I believe in MMM's article he mentioned picking up everything he needed on sale at Cosco (or maybe Sam's?), but I don't have nearby access to either of those. I have Walmart and online shopping. Any fit Mustachians able to point me in the direction of some sweet deals?

six-car-habit

• Pencil Stache
Re: Affordable Home Gym Equipment
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 02:03:27 AM »
 "Sporting goods" section of Craigslist .   Soup cans in a canvas bag.   Cheap used DVD's with workout routines from E-bay.  Diamond Dallas Page's [ former pro-wrestler ]  Extreme Yoga DVD - if you can get thru his 1 hour workout you're in pretty good shape.

Valley of Plenty

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 02:28:40 AM »
Is Craigslist still worth using? I've only used Facebook Marketplace in recent years as Craigslist seems to be mostly scams now.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 05:11:42 AM »
Check and see if you have a Play It Again near you.  They are a chain of stores that sell used sports/workout gear (bikes, treadmills, weights, etc.). 

YouTube is great for free workouts, from very gentle to holy-cow-I-am-dying-and-it's-only-been-30-seconds.  Walmart may have weights (some stores do, some don't), Amazon has them but I would suggest hurry, as looking at the offerings it seems many folks have the same idea as you.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 06:28:12 AM »
This is the set up I have at home:

Squat Rack ($330, out of stock right now though, can check other models): https://www.titan.fitness/racks/power-racks/t-2-series/titan-t-2-series-power-rack/400100.html

Adjustable Dumbbells ($170, look for the Bowflex ones if you can though up to 52 pounds): https://amzn.to/2whKmdK

Edit: Looks like Dick's has the Bowflex ones for $329: https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/bowflex-selecttech-552-dumbbells-16bfxuslcttchdmbbslc/16bfxuslcttchdmbbslc

Adjustable bench ($60, get a beefier bench if you will be lifting a lot of weight): https://amzn.to/2WvUzhe

Barbell and weights ($240, 300 lbs total): https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/fitness-gear-300-lbolympic-weight-set-16fgeu300lbstwth7brb/16fgeu300lbstwth7brb

So about $800 total, which sounds like a lot.  Looks like you'd break even after about 2 years.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 06:34:32 AM by kpd905 »

SheepDog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 10:08:13 AM »
Wife went to the local AG business and got several large tractor tires that she uses to flip around the yard.  Cost was free since they are old used tires; by giving them to us they don't have to pay to recycle them.  win/win for everyone.

TrMama

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 10:16:15 AM »
I get a ton of use out of a basic workout mat, a few dumbells and a collection of resistance bands. I also have a balance ball, but it doesn't get used as much. Yesterday I used my kid's skipping rope.

Combine with YouTube videos that focus on bodyweight exercises and pilates.

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 11:13:58 AM »
The Amazon brand kettlebells are okay quality but the price is amazing for them. (If you can find use go that route) Get two A heavy one and a lighter one, a jump rope, a pull up bar, and a yoga mat. If you want to get really fancy a TRX type system is great. (there are a ton of DIY options on line for it)

That with a pair of running shoes you dont need much more. I only pay $10 a month for my gym so I may keep it for now but if the economy really goes down I am going to ditch it.

Valley of Plenty

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 08:24:36 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone!

I ended up going to walmart and buying their last bench press bench, a free standing bench, a barbell, two dumbbell bars, and about 200lbs in weights for ~$300. The quality is about what you would expect for the cost, but it will certainly suffice to meet my needs for the foreseeable future.

I'd still like a squat rack, but I've had no luck finding any in stock online. My roommate is a welder and says if I can get him some steel structural tubing, he can build the rack for me. Anyone know about how much you'd spend on materials for a project like that? Would it save you enough to justify the time and effort of building it, and would it last?

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 07:49:20 AM »
Thanks for the advice everyone!

I ended up going to walmart and buying their last bench press bench, a free standing bench, a barbell, two dumbbell bars, and about 200lbs in weights for ~$300. The quality is about what you would expect for the cost, but it will certainly suffice to meet my needs for the foreseeable future.

I'd still like a squat rack, but I've had no luck finding any in stock online. My roommate is a welder and says if I can get him some steel structural tubing, he can build the rack for me. Anyone know about how much you'd spend on materials for a project like that? Would it save you enough to justify the time and effort of building it, and would it last?

This depends on what style of squat rack you want. If you do a freestanding squat rack where each side is independent (think an upside down T) it will be a lot cheaper and less material than a full cage squat rack. That wasn’t an option for my husband because he was too worried about missing the rack when setting the weights back down, so we got a full cage rack from REP Fitness.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 07:59:48 AM »
I built uprights out of 2x4s and some concrete in buckets with saw horses as safeties like this:

plans here:
http://homemadestrength.blogspot.ca/2011/04/more-than-just-squat-stands.html
http://homemadestrength.blogspot.ca/2011/04/saw-horse-safety-stands_28.html

and my bench was built from 2x4s and an old door that we were throwing out:

I also built a chin up bar from some old steel pipe and scrap lumber, but don't have a pic.

I've had 300 lbs on the uprights for squats, and they handle the weight well.  No safety issues in the ten odd years I've been using them (but I've only had to use the safeties a few dozen times in that period).  The whole setup packs up and out of the way very quickly if you want to use the space for something else.

Since most of it was scrap lumber from finishing my basement, it was hella cheap to do.  The saw horses were the most expensive part at about 50$ . . . but I also use them for projects in the garage, so they're multi-functional.  :P
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 08:01:49 AM by GuitarStv »

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 11:05:04 AM »
My setup is basic, because my house is tiny.
- 2 kettlebells (well, I have one, the other is coming) - 25 lb and 15 lb.  Will eventually need bigger ones.  Actually, already would need bigger ones for DLs and squats but I manage.
- yoga mat, exercise mat
- jump rope
- 10 lb medicine ball
- dumbbells - 5, 8, 10, 15
- 2 adjustable dumbbell sets (not sure how high they go, at least 30#)
- flexible bands (For hip bridges, etc)
- exercise bands with handles
- pull up bar (this is pointless for me, but good for the kids)

I don't have a bench or squat rack.  No space.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2020, 12:01:23 PM »
My son was a weight lifter, so we have a squat rack and a really nice bench in the basement along with plenty of bars and weights.  I don't use any of them.  I split wood, I cut and lift firewood to transport in my cart or tractor bucket.  I carry wood in a strap to the basement.

I look at it like Rocky did before his fight in Russia.  All he had was a cabin in the wilderness and firewood to split and he trained just fine.  A good splitting maul costs $27.  Some leather gloves at Harbor Freight are like $5 for a pack of 10. 

If I wanted exercise equipment, I'd stop at all the stuff I see in front of people's houses on trash day.

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2020, 12:26:07 PM »
Best bang for the buck is a couple of kettlebells. Lots of things to do with them, especially if you watch a few videos. Can get a full body workout in 15 minutes with some old fashioned swings. Can work on core and balance with turkish get-ups. One handed snatches, etc. But best to watch instructional videos and start light. It takes more skill than it looks!

Valley of Plenty

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 08:13:29 PM »
I built uprights out of 2x4s and some concrete in buckets with saw horses as safeties like this:

and my bench was built from 2x4s and an old door that we were throwing out:

I also built a chin up bar from some old steel pipe and scrap lumber, but don't have a pic.

I've had 300 lbs on the uprights for squats, and they handle the weight well.  No safety issues in the ten odd years I've been using them (but I've only had to use the safeties a few dozen times in that period).  The whole setup packs up and out of the way very quickly if you want to use the space for something else.

Since most of it was scrap lumber from finishing my basement, it was hella cheap to do.  The saw horses were the most expensive part at about 50$ . . . but I also use them for projects in the garage, so they're multi-functional.  :P

Nice!!! Very Mustachian! I was wondering if wood would work for building a rack. My roommate had suggested that it would be impractical. How heavy are those uprights? Could you transport them up/down a flight of stairs if you had to? My gym setup is in my basement, so that's a necessity.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2020, 07:23:34 AM »
If I had to move 'em I could probably do it.  The uprights can be rolled around the basement if you want to make space for something down there, but it would be a chore to move them up and down stairs.  They're about 70 lbs each.

smoghat

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 07:24:48 AM »
a TRX system is about $130 and can be used at home and on the go.