Author Topic: Affordable Care Act Question re Dental and Vision Insurance  (Read 2684 times)

prof61820

• Bristles
Affordable Care Act Question re Dental and Vision Insurance
« on: September 12, 2013, 03:29:23 PM »
I know that come January 1, 2014, health insurance companies won't be able to deny health insurance for pre-existing conditions.  Can insurance coverage be denied for pre-existing conditions for Dental or Vision insurance?  I can't find a simple, straightforward answer to this question other than don't worry about it, it's cheaper to self insure...

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Affordable Care Act Question re Dental and Vision Insurance
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 06:04:16 PM »
Sorry I don't know the answer, though I would tend towards "no change for dental/vision" because my understanding is that Obamacare only relates to health insurance, not dental or vision insurance.

But I've also never seen any indication that dental or vision policies exclude preexisting conditions in the first place. If they did, the only way you could get glasses is if you'd never had glasses before, right?

And I basically have to agree with it being cheaper to self-insure, for most people. I have lots of dental problems (half a dozen root canals! and YES, I floss every day, brush multiple times a day etc.), and the dental policies I've seen at various workplaces have always been lame. It's basically "pay $400/year to get $1000/year coverage" or something like that, but with the exclusions and reimbursement caps, you have to spend a lot more than $1000/year to actually GET $1000/year of coverage. For instance, you might think your $1500 root canal would only cost you $500 due to your $1000 of insurance, but then it turns out your insurer will only reimburse (for instance) $273 for the root canal and $228 for the crown and $48 for the anesthetic, or whatever, so you end up paying over $900 out of pocket for the root canal and you then need to incur some other massive dental expense in order to actually get your insurance to pay $1000 to your dentist! It's ridiculous.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!