Author Topic: Advice on Weights  (Read 3821 times)

Cinder

• Bristles
Advice on Weights
« on: February 21, 2014, 09:38:32 AM »
I have a coworker who had a bench and bar, but no weights or clamps!  A roomate left them behind, and he's been holding onto them.

What's a fair price for a bench and bar with no weights?

Where is a good place to find reasonably priced weights? (I've been keeping an eye on my local craigs list).

What is a good location to get general pricing information?

Thanks for the help!

Milspecstache

• Pencil Stache
Re: Advice on Weights
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 11:00:23 AM »
I've always been able to find great deals on CL.  Just give it a few weeks.

LibrarIan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 02:15:13 PM »
I know you're probably looking for weights to go on the bar, but at least for dumbbells WalMart is always running some kind of discount on them (at least where I live). Now, I have a serious moral objection to shopping there, but if you don't, you may find some decently priced dumbbells if you need those. My guess is that the general clientele of that place isn't exactly the workout kind, so they don't sell the exercise stuff as fast.

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 05:03:32 PM »
What size are the collars? If they are the tiny ones I wouldn't pay much. For a standard 45 lb bar, anywhere from 20 bucks to several hundred depending on make/quality. If the knurling is good and sharp, the collars are good fitted bushings, I'd offer 50 and see where that takes me.

The bench is kind of the same deal. Make sure it seats well, isn't flimsy / shaky when you lay on it, etc. If you get the bar for 20 you could get both for under 100.

Plates - buy these in a set and look to pay under/around 50 cents a pound. Smaller weights cost more per pound so if you can get it as a set you won't get hammered on the little ones.

zachd

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 05:20:02 PM »

Librarian, I like the agent cooper avatar.

Weights - as someone who once had quite quite a few I can tell you they were super hard to sell on craigslist. I ended up almost giving them away.
Around here there is a place called play it again sports, they re-sell sporting goods.  Probably some good stuff but not as cheap as craigslist if you weight.

Do some pushups until you find some weights :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 05:30:20 PM »
Decent olympic bar + bench, probably $80 or so.  I usually see weights going for about 50 cents a pound on Craigslist.

If it's a 1" bar I wouldn't bother.

I recently bought a 45# Olympic bar, EZ Curl Bar, fixed bench and about 225# of weight for $150, then resold the bench for $40.  They are the cheaper plates that don't have the nice grips though.

golfer44

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 05:36:07 PM »
Sports Authority has great sales on workout equipment once in a while.

I got a 300lb set + bar for $150-ish a year or two ago, brand new. I had a 20% off coupon and they were doing a 30% off sale or something like that. They're great weights, all were +/- .2lbs or so.

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 04:30:39 AM »
Just found a set for $175. Bench, leg curl piece, incline back, bar, weight set (2x35, 2x25, 2x10, 4x5, 2x2.5).  Seems like a really reasonable price. Solid plates, not sand filled or anything !

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 10:32:40 AM »
usually those benches with the leg curl apparatus are junk/flimsy. Be patient and get a good solid heavy duty bench. You can find them dirt cheap. Also agree if you buy a bar make sure to get the larger hole for plates.