Author Topic: Advice on unused ymca fees  (Read 1931 times)

NewConvert

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Advice on unused ymca fees
« on: July 08, 2018, 12:28:35 PM »
Hi All,

We had signed up at our local YMCa in January 2018. But before we could even collect our membership cards we had to travel out of country on a personal emergency. Meanwhile our payments were automated, so we have continued to pay the monthly fees till now. We just got back and  realize we have paid a total of $390 as fees for past 6 months.

Anyway I am planning to go down to the ymca to collect our membership cards.  My question is -  Can we ask for a discount for the next 6 months. Seeing that we haven't collected our cards / haven't used any facilities for the past 6 months. Anyone has any precedent or suggestions with this? I don't want to ask if it comes to nothing and save myself the embarrassment.

Looking forward to your valuable advice.

Note: We do know the mustachian thing is to exercise outdoors free of cost, we plan to do that down the lane once we have achieved a level of personal fitness.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
Re: Advice on unused ymca fees
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 01:16:41 PM »
It never hurts to ask, but I wouldn't expect too much.

We belong to the Y and sometimes we use it a lot (winter) and sometimes we don't.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 01:30:09 PM »
They have a very easy cancellation policy - you can send in a letter, email, or fax a simple form (available online) or email the director of your "home" YMCA (the Y you joined up with) allowing for 10 days before the next billing date, and they will. The fact that you forgot about it due to life circumstances, while I get is not your choice if the circumstances were quite terrible, but it is 100% not the YMCA's fault either. They even offer a suspension option where your place is held for 1-6 months at $10/month. Again, simple form to send in. It is a shame that during your time away you didn't notice the charge earlier and make a note to take a few minutes to contact them about what to do as I'm sure they would have been quite understanding of difficult circumstances.

Personally, I would go ahead and ask if there is anything they can do for you regarding your membership for the previous 6 months (either offer a discount off the coming months or something), based on the fact that they should be able to see you never used the facilities, but I would not get too upset if they don't offer you anything. It never hurts to ask, and you may get lucky as long as you tell them you understand it was your responsibility and you were just overwhelmed with dealing with the emergency.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 06:08:11 PM by Frankies Girl »

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 03:07:24 PM »
Did your personal emergency involve and illness or disability?

I cancelled my membership when my son got ill.

The Y waived some fees - I got to cancel immediately and not get charged for the next month even though I was past that month's deadline and also I was put on "disabled" status so if I ever want to return I do not need to pay joiner fees. 

I think it is probably worth it to talk to them.  Be prepared to produce some sort of documentation. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 05:55:16 PM »
Honestly, this falls into the category of you didn't have your shit together, you deal with the consequences. If you honestly didn't look at your bank statements for 6 months, you have some problems there. I get that life happens, but 6 months without looking at your statements?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!