Author Topic: Advice on Relocating to Durham, NC  (Read 2910 times)

Jesse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Advice on Relocating to Durham, NC
« on: June 02, 2014, 04:03:39 PM »
My family and I are relocating to Durham, NC in the coming months from Washington DC. We wanted advice on downtown neighborhoods to look at. We are comfortable in transitioning or established neighborhoods. Our plan is to renovate a cottage and put a modern addition on the back, so we are looking to buy an 800-1200 square foot cottage. Any and all thoughts on downtown Durham neighborhoods (and streets) to consider would be greatly appreciated!

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
Re: Advice on Relocating to Durham, NC
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 04:17:16 PM »
Price range matters a lot.  What is your range?  (You can also PM me if you want.)

dcnats

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 09:25:01 PM »
Hey there!

We just relocated in the other direction (left Durham for DC).  We were there over 15 years and lived in many neighborhoods.  There are many areas near downtown that are nice, but crime is always close and the lines of good and bad neighborhoods shift quickly.  Living by the Duke campus is pricier but there are many nice areas there.  My favorite neighborhoods is just outside the downtown area.  Ravenstone is in between Durham and Raleigh and just beneath Falls Lake.  It's a quick commute to anywhere and is gorgeous and woodsy with no crime.  My second favorite neighborhood is south of Durham, by the Mall.

Good luck!

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 09:33:12 PM »
Welcome! I don't know Durham as well as I know Raleigh but I've heard lots of great things about Woodcroft which may be where dcnats is also referring to, as its just down the road from Southpoint.  You may not find a cottage there, though, as its an older more well established neighborhood.  But yeah, Durham definitely has a rap for being sketchy in some parts, but honestly I've been downtown a few times at night and have never felt unsafe.  It's an exciting time for Durham, lots of start ups and new restaurants and I think it's headed in a positive direction.  Sorry this may not have been much help, haha!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!