Author Topic: Advice on Quitting Before Promotion  (Read 2345 times)

B L I S S

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Advice on Quitting Before Promotion
« on: July 01, 2016, 11:59:39 AM »
I work for a consulting firm and I expect to receive a promotion in December based on conversations I've had. Nothing's guaranteed though so I'll just put the chance at 50%.

At the same time I'm just over this firm. The pay is lower than other firms and I want to grow the stash faster. My concern is that if I try to look for a job now and if I get an offer that I wont get as high of an offer because they would be offering me a salary to compete with my current role (analyst) rather than my potential promoted role (associate).

In this scenario would you wait until you're promoted to job search? Especially since I'm so close? Or would you wait until you get that promo so you have a better starting point?

mozar

• Magnum Stache
Re: Advice on Quitting Before Promotion
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 12:11:43 PM »
Are you expecting a raise, and if so how much? Would you leave if a job offer offered more than a raise would be? I consider what would be a 20% raise and negotiate from there. During my job search last year I received a 6% raise, meanwhile the job offers I was getting were in the 15%-20% range. My boss expected me to jump up in down with excitement, it was pretty akward when I didn't. A few weeks later I took a job offer with a 20% raise.
You might also be able to go directly into an associate role somewhere else.

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 12:13:31 PM »
The only way I would leave is if you get an associate offer elsewhere.  Don't leave for a lateral move.  If you don't get the promotion, then consider making a lateral move.

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 12:20:00 PM »
The only way I would leave is if you get an associate offer elsewhere.  Don't leave for a lateral move.  If you don't get the promotion, then consider making a lateral move.

+1

Only leave if you get a position as an associate.  Otherwise you are basically starting over again and have to work your way up to associate.

Choices

• Pencil Stache
    • ChooseBetterLife
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 12:22:02 PM »
Great advice above.
Other questions to ask are whether the new responsibilities with the new role are welcome ones. Would it mean more travel? More late nights and weekends? How do these fit with your goals and your family?

Go for the job you love that pays the best with people you like. Good luck!