Author Topic: Advice on car recommendations  (Read 1619 times)

dfrank26

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Advice on car recommendations
« on: November 26, 2018, 10:05:23 AM »
Wanted some help from my fellow tribe. Not a car guy and would love some insight. Here is what we are looking for.

-Great gas mileage (32 MPG and up preferably)
-Can have a ski rack and bike rack
-Somewhat nice design as I'm self-employed and drive clients around
-Bonus, handles decently in snow conditions

My girlfriend and I would love to stay below 10k. We have more cash if need be.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Advice on car recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 10:23:35 AM »
Probably in the Subaru family. They're especially well known for handling well in the snow.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 10:38:16 AM »
Subaru is a little tricky. Up until about 5-6 years ago, none of them got better than like 25-30 mpg if you got the smallest engine available. The newer ones are finally in the 30s, and you should be able to find several under $10k. Still, if you really care about snow capabilities, you're better off getting snow tires, with or without AWD.

Mazda is in a similar boat - before the SkyActiv engines from 2012 forward, they tended to get 30 mpg or less. But if you can get a 2012/2013 Mazda 3 hatchback, particularly with the 2.0L engine, you'll get 29/40 mpg. And the 2013 design is very sleek, so perhaps you won't be embarrassed.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 11:38:42 AM »
Subaru is a little tricky. Up until about 5-6 years ago, none of them got better than like 25-30 mpg if you got the smallest engine available. The newer ones are finally in the 30s, and you should be able to find several under $10k. Still, if you really care about snow capabilities, you're better off getting snow tires, with or without AWD.

Mazda is in a similar boat - before the SkyActiv engines from 2012 forward, they tended to get 30 mpg or less. But if you can get a 2012/2013 Mazda 3 hatchback, particularly with the 2.0L engine, you'll get 29/40 mpg. And the 2013 design is very sleek, so perhaps you won't be embarrassed.

I have a 2007 Mazda3 sedan and it gets 25 mpg and will be getting a newer one that's 2012 or later for the exact reasons you described. Subaru would probably get my vote for better car in the snow.

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 03:00:54 PM »
Any vehicle with snow tires will handle better than *any* vehicle without snow tires. So, pick a vehicle that fits your needs and get snow tires for it.

A popular compact here is the Honda Fit. It's phenomenally reliable, gets good fuel economy, and has outsized utility for its size. A Prius is another great choice, with better economy in a larger package.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 04:50:23 PM »
Any vehicle with snow tires will handle better than *any* vehicle without snow tires. So, pick a vehicle that fits your needs and get snow tires for it.

100% this.  Unless your climbing mountains and need an AWD AND snow tires, a 2wd car with snow tires will best an AWD for normal use.  I've got an AWD rally prepped car that is awesome in the ice and snow with the snow tires.  Without snow tires it's downright dangerous and my 2wd mid-engine sports car with snow tires will easily beat it.  The amount of money you save from the purchase, maintenance, and operational costs of an AWD system will easily cover spare wheels with snow tires for a normal car.