Author Topic: Advice on a Used car purchase  (Read 4116 times)

AngusBoom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Advice on a Used car purchase
« on: February 14, 2014, 02:27:24 PM »
Hi mustachians,

I am in the market for a used car.  My current automobile is an 02 Monte Carlo that is on its last leg and no longer fits my lifestyle(I have 2 kids now and drive 50-70 miles a day for work)

Let me explain my driving habits.  I drive between 50-70 miles a day and make 5 -7 stops a day talking to customers and taking orders for my company.  Because my car is so important for my job, I am reimbursed 56 cents a mile by my company to cover gas and maintenance so I want to get the most out of that factor that I can.

I have narrowed my car search to the following vehicles, an 06 scion xa with 65k for 6500, a 2012 yaris 5 door hatchback with 28k for 10400 and a 2006 prius with 58k for 9900 and another 06 scion xa with 48k for 8500.  The yaris is at the top of my budget for sure.  I have done my due diligence and all 4 are one owner cars with a clean car fax.  I have driven the scion with 65k and liked it a lot and am going to be looking at the other cars tomorrow.

Whatever car I decide to buy will have to last me at least 5-7 years as my two kids will be starting school and I won't be able to buy another car for a long time.

Just looking for some mustachian advice, thanks!

-danny

MPAVictoria

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Advice on a Used car purchase
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 02:35:17 PM »
You might want to reconsider the Yaris. They have scored very poorly in crash tests. The Prius would probably be a solid choice.

Have you considered other makes besides Toyota? They are fine cars but they do go for a premium in the used market. A Buick sedan from the same time period would be larger, safer and almost as reliable. The Honda Fit or the Nissan Versa are also worth the look. The Versa in particular is an excellent car and VERY spacious for a compact.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 02:39:09 PM »
Of what you've looked at, the xA with 65k on it seems like the ideal choice.  70 miles per day adds up to about 18k per year, so that's only topping out at 191k after 7 years.  A Scion should be able to do that without a sweat with years of life to spare.

If I were in the market for a newer compact, I'd definitely be interested in an xA.

AngusBoom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 03:02:40 PM »
I have no problem with the Buick idea, but I'm going to be using this car strictly for me as a work car.  Although I may have to shuffle two kids around the neighborhood once in a while with it.  I was considering an 06-09 impala for a while

I really like the look of the xa, not so much the yaris and the prius would make a great choice on efficiency with the mpgs and the fact that New York City gives you 10% off of all tolls with the prius.  What scares me about the prius is the possibility of having to replace something expensive like the traction battery. 

I'm willing to look at a used versa, maybe I will take a look at some online tonight.  Keep the ideas coming!

Milspecstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 07:44:39 PM »
Another vote for the Versa.  Consumer Reports throws off on them but I have the most basic of the basic model and I love it.  38mpg and everything I want/need in a car.  If you stay away from the top-of-the-line options (think extra computer crap in the dashboard) I believe Nissan's quality is comparative to Toyota for the reduced price of the Nissan.

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 08:04:53 PM »
Of what you've looked at, the xA with 65k on it seems like the ideal choice. 

This.  The xA is an outstanding little car.  I'd buy that one in a minute. 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 10:48:20 AM »
It sounds like you might be doing a fair bit of in-town driving, despite your higher mileage.  Taking that into consideration, I think the Prius would be a great choice.  The all-gas cars will have lower efficiency with stop and go driving, while the Prius makes better use of the electric motor under those conditions.  It's also a little roomier, so would be good with the kids. 

I had an '09 Fit, and it averaged about 39 mpg when I had a freeway commute, but honestly I found it a little bit tinny & flimsy (and I'm not small car averse, I drive a Honda CR-Z currently).  Cargo room in the Fit is amazing though, since the rear seats fold both up and down.  You might check into a hybrid Civic, too.