Author Topic: Advice Needed: how much would you pay for this bike?  (Read 2855 times)

Runny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Advice Needed: how much would you pay for this bike?
« on: July 11, 2015, 06:07:48 PM »
Hello,

I found this used bike on sale online. http://www.kijiji.ca/v-velo-de-route/ville-de-montreal/raleigh-10-vitesses-noir-super-beau-velo-fonctionne-super-bien/1086708738
It looks like it is in good condition but I found 200$ for a used bike a bit pricey. It seems like the person is willing to negotiate. I still have to go see the bike but how much do you think I should offer? I was thinking about 150$ but don't know if that would be pushing it.

Thank you!

Sonja

Matt_D

• Stubble
Re: Advice Needed: how much would you pay for this bike?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 06:47:00 PM »
You're asking an essentially local question on a non-local forum, so you probably won't get a great answer on price, even if well-intended. Used bikes aren't priced the same everywhere - the same used bike could be anywhere from (for example) $50 to $250 depending on your location (and that's before we even get into the exchange rate!). I would say that if it works as advertised the price isn't  bad given my market (Washington DC area), but this is a more expensive used-bike area.

From what I can tell (given the single picture), it looks like a nice functional older bike in reasonable shape. It doesn't have a rack to carry things though, so that would probably be an added expense. That type of bike works great for city biking, but only if you have a way to carry stuff!

If you go see it, would be really good to bring a friend along who knows something about bikes. If not, at least check any moving components to see if they're close to worn out (for example, gear teeth will get sharper/pointy when they're at end of life). Replacing drivetrain parts is one of the most expensive things to do on a bike, so if those are shot then it's probably not worth your while.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 05:12:27 AM »
$100

SurlyTroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 06:08:15 AM »
If a mixte is the style you are going for and the bike fits... $150 Canadian is not unreasonable but certainly is not a bargain. You would likely be able to buy the same bike for well under $100 at a garage sale but may have to wait a bit to find one. I would probably offer $150 if I loved it and it was mechanically sound, knowing that I would get years of use out of it even if I overpaid by $75. Check out the following buyer's guide to mixtes for some more info.

http://lovelybike.blogspot.com/2010/06/buying-vintage-mixte-what-to-look-for.html

Good luck... used bikes can be a lot of fun!

fuzzed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 07:48:13 AM »

http://lovelybike.blogspot.com/2010/06/buying-vintage-mixte-what-to-look-for.html

Good luck... used bikes can be a lot of fun!

Great site, thanks for posting that, my bank account may not thank you though :)

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 07:55:11 AM »
Hello,

I found this used bike on sale online. http://www.kijiji.ca/v-velo-de-route/ville-de-montreal/raleigh-10-vitesses-noir-super-beau-velo-fonctionne-super-bien/1086708738
It looks like it is in good condition but I found 200$ for a used bike a bit pricey. It seems like the person is willing to negotiate. I still have to go see the bike but how much do you think I should offer? I was thinking about 150$ but don't know if that would be pushing it.

Thank you!

Sonja

Interesting sale posting: that is a very old, but very well-cared for bicycle. Here's the scoop:

Basic Utility Value: $100
Lugged Frame: +$50
Good mechanicals condition: : +$50 (Including brake pads and wheel rim condition)
Good tires/tubes: +$50

Total IMHO Value: $250
Private Party IMHO Value: $175
I would offer $150 but be willing to flex up to $175. Aggressively deduct if the tires and tubes need replacing.  If you have further concerns, find a local bike shop to assess the condition before you buy.

Comments:
Lugged frame bicycles are considered highly desirable because of the craftsmanship and long life. Bicycles are not made this way any more so this type of frame is highly sought after by bike enthusiasts - if you "stumble" into one for sale, regard that as a lucky thing.

The shifters on this bike are non-indexed. That is not generally a desirable feature. You may or may not care. It means, however, you've got to be more careful about cable stretch, chain lube/drivetrain maintenance and the quality of gear shifting on the bike.

You must test ride this bike to make sure the handlebars suit you. Some people love that style of handlebar, some people hate them. Also check to make sure the seat and handlebar grips are in great condition. Easy to replace, yes, but you must not have to do maintenance on this bike - the asking price is somewhat premium.

This is a large bike for a "mixte" frame (typically known as a "girls frame"). You must verify that it fits you (Google/YouTube is your friend). Do not purchase this bike at ANY price if it is too big for your inseam.