Author Topic: Advice for online sources for lens replacement (Rx and Rx sunglasses)  (Read 7486 times)

flyfig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hi! I no longer have optical insurance and so need to shop around. Wanted to tap into the advice and knowledge of this group. I have eyeglasses and Rx sunglass frames that I like and just need the lens updated. What are the best retail/online places you know. Costco cited $139 for the eyeglasses but can't do Rx sunglasses. I've been googling but am not sure what the most reputable places are. Appreciate any help you can provide.

Grog

• Bristles
Re: Advice for online sources for lens replacement (Rx and Rx sunglasses)
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 06:08:55 AM »
I ordered from selectspecs.com and I'm happy with the results. I've spent 40 bucks for one pair of glasses, correction and dark-sun-transition lenses. The frame is made from hard plastic,  but it looks nice. No problem whatsoever

Sent from my GT-S7582 using Tapatalk

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 06:17:22 AM »
The few places I've tried have not been good. Eventually I got sick of risking the $ and figured even full-priced optical places are still reasonable when you're only buying every couple of years. My prescription has barely changed in a decade.

My advice is to make sure to measure thoroughly.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 06:57:27 AM »
If you are looking for name brand stuff, I have had good results with www.glasses.com.  They regularly have deals and sales, so keep an eye out.  I've purchased a regular pair of glasses and RX sunglasses for around 100$ each.  Easy returns too.  I purchased one pair of Rx glasses and I didn't like the frames.  I was able to return it for 100% refund, no questions asked.  They also do free in home try on where they send you 5 frames and you can try them on to see if you like them.  This is pretty standard for online glasses sites.

I've had decent results from www.zennioptical.com.  You can get a pair of Rx glasses for 25$ or less depending on your prescription.  I purchased one pair that I use as my backup pair. I'll also wear them to places where they might get damaged or lost, concerts etc.

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 08:00:47 AM »
Idk who you talked to at Costco, but if they have an actual optical department, they can definitely do Rx sunglasses (polarized even!). I don't remember exactly how much mine were, but it was reasonable, if not cheap. But my Rx is strong enough that my glasses are never actually cheap.

Maybe they didn't want to do lenses for a frame they weren't selling?

tl;dr Costco does do Rx sunglasses someone was lying to you.

Krolik

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 08:02:42 AM »
I used lensesrx.com for my sunglasses and regular glasses in the past. You don't need to purchase frames, they will replace lenses only. Service was o.k., on time and reasonable prices.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 08:07:30 AM »
We had Walmart put sunglasses lenses into our old glasses.

Depending on what frames you get, sometimes getting new glasses is cheaper. They sell some $9 frames, and there is a $10 charge to put lenses in frames you supply :)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 08:22:07 AM by iowajes »

HappyHoya

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 08:21:19 AM »
I never had a lot of success having lenses replaced. It often cost as much or more than new glasses and was never quite right- often the frames would get dinged up, etc.. I recently ordered both regular Rx and sunglasses with an Rx (high index lenses in both) from Warby Parker, and I'm extremely happy with them. I can't believe I went so long without having glasses in my current Rx. I can send you a referral code that worth a few dollars off, if you are interested--just send me a message.

tvan

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 08:31:15 AM »
Zenni for frames + Lenses less than $20

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 09:48:03 AM »
I have never actually used this company, but found them while I was researching updating my Mom's glasses.  They get great reviews.

http://www.replacealens.com/default.asp

I have used Zenni for myself and family many times, and had no complaints.  You can probably get frames and lenses cheaper than trying to just replace the lenses.   Use the measurements from the glasses you already have, and you'd probably find several pair that are similar or almost identical.   I have also heard good things about EyeBuyDirect, but not tried them yet.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 10:33:49 AM »
I have never actually used this company, but found them while I was researching updating my Mom's glasses.  They get great reviews.

http://www.replacealens.com/default.asp

I have used Zenni for myself and family many times, and had no complaints.  You can probably get frames and lenses cheaper than trying to just replace the lenses.   Use the measurements from the glasses you already have, and you'd probably find several pair that are similar or almost identical.   I have also heard good things about EyeBuyDirect, but not tried them yet.

I HAVE been using replacealens.com and have been very happy with them and recommend them with confidence.

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 11:36:16 AM »
I have had good experiences with Zenni optical. They keep prices low by doing all the labor in China. I recently ordered three pairs of glasses with handy clip-on sunglass filters (extra $5) for $72 delivered. One of them didn't look good on me, the other two are in active use and fit better than the pair I got done at a brick and mortar shop. You can also get sunglasses there without the clip-on option.

I was nervous about the fit but having an existing pair to reference made this very easy.

Update: Just got an email from Zenni with a 20% off code: ICECREAM20
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 12:53:47 PM by Axecleaver »

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 11:51:39 AM »
I've heard good things about Zenni optical.

But I use 39dollarglasses.com

Based in NY.

Thus far I've gotten 2 pair of prescription eyeglasses at $39 and $19, and prescription sunglasses for $48.

BeardedLady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 11:53:11 AM »
Be careful ordering online. Here is the link to a study that was done on the accuracy and safety of online eyewear: http://www.aoa.org/news/inside-optometry/consumer-campaign-buying-glasses-online-may-be-no-bargain?sso=y&ct=281d5a57f45b887cf22ccc9b95787a9f54859dece3a61d6c36dbe27164c5b114f97b17a48169a30069aada3d9c65f26e67ed445a45d91686577c3d47d6340580

If you have a straightforward Rx, meaning low powers with low or no astigmatism, you might be ok with it being a little off. Anything else is a larger gamble. I would never order a bifocal, progressive, or safety eyewear online.

- your friendly mustachian optometrist

KittyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 12:14:49 PM »
Coastal is what I used to use because of their promotions. They have prescription Transitions and Rx sunglasses. Their prices for my eyesight aren't the lowest, but maybe you'll have more luck.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 01:02:02 PM »
I have ordered successfully from Zenni for both myself and my daughter but we do not have complicated rx. Just that to have a good fit you need your eye doctor to write on the prescription what your ocular distance is. You should also measure different aspects of your existing glasses to know what range frame will work for your face.

That said, my all time favorite glasses was done at Duke, wire frame, customized fit. But it was $500, versus say $70 for Zenni (very myopic so my lenses cost more).

flyfig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2015, 04:54:02 PM »
Hi All! Thanks for the great replies and advice. I am quite set on my current frames- great fit, pretty new and name brand. My Rx is strong but straightforward. I'll look at replacealens and report back. Love the warby parker site and I'm sure I'll head there when I want a new set of glasses.