Author Topic: Advice for obtaining first credit card and good credit as fast as possible?  (Read 2575 times)

pbc561

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hi All, I need some advice on the best way for me to get my first credit card and build credit as fast as possible (with the mere goal of building credit to get a good rewards card).

My past credit card applications (years ago) have been rejected at Wells Fargo and Walmart, so I've been told a secured card is the best way to. Any specific recommendations such as which institution (bank or credit union), which type of secured card (e.g. limit size or specific name of card), or any other advice for me to get good credit as fast as possible?

And once I do get this secured card or whatever, is there a certain amount of spending to build credit faster? Thanks!

andystkilda

• Stubble
Also being added as an authorised user to someone's else's card will build your score fast - can be family/friend or I believe there are sites that facilitate this between strangers somehow (for a fee).

Ursus Major

• Stubble
Pay the bill in full and on time. And repeat every single month.

GhostRider103

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I remember trying to get my first credit card to start getting credit. I had a few rejections as well because I had 0 credit, Wells Fargo was one of them.

The 3rd place I applied to was Capital One and they did accept me with 0 credit history. I would recommend trying them out, they started me out with a smaller credit limit, but they raised it two or three times in the first year. Just keep it paid off every month.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
I remember trying to get my first credit card to start getting credit. I had a few rejections as well because I had 0 credit, Wells Fargo was one of them.

The 3rd place I applied to was Capital One and they did accept me with 0 credit history. I would recommend trying them out, they started me out with a smaller credit limit, but they raised it two or three times in the first year. Just keep it paid off every month.

Capital One was the first place I tried, and I got rejected for my lack of credit history.

IMO there's a pretty large crapshoot factor with respect to cc's.

Tundra_Man

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Once you do get one, just remember the cardinal rule of managing a credit card: the first month that you can't pay the balance off in full, cut the card up.

browneyedgirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Become an authorized user on someone else's card. I can't say how important this is for immediate results. I'm in a place where they take credit score into account when charging (insane) car insurance. Whatever bill paying history they'd been using in place of credit score was no longer showing and my bill went up to over $300 for liability only insurance (on an 11 year old Pontiac Vibe). I needed it down instantly! So, I had my fiance place me as an authorized user on his card. At the same time, I got my own card to build credit that way... but it's being an authorized user that got my auto insurance down inside a month.