Author Topic: Advice for laser printer purchase?  (Read 1178 times)

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
Advice for laser printer purchase?
« on: March 16, 2020, 11:06:26 AM »
Since I will be working from home, I want to buy a laser printer that also scans and copies.  I have heard good things about Brother.  Does anyone have specific recommendations?  If I do get a Brother printer, is it worth buying the genuine Brother ink cartridge for $76?  Or is there a decent off-brand?  Thanks!

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Advice for laser printer purchase?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 11:25:26 AM »
I'm FIRE now, but my last job was IT Jr manager.
I switched the Co from HP laser printers to Brother, and saved a lot of money.
Use the Bro. toners until the printer is out of warranty.  Then find an 'off brand' you like (they're not all the same).

Boll weevil

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 12:55:58 PM »
No advice on brands, but I’d recommend looking for one that can print on both sides (aka duplex). It’s a feature I wish my current printer had.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 01:04:58 PM »
I have a Brother HL-2270DW and love it. For anyone looking for a cheap / reliable duplexing printer, I'd highly recommend it.  It doesn't do scan/copy, though.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 01:17:51 PM »
When I bought mine a few years ago, the best all around consumer models for reasonable prices were Brother.

ChickenStash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 01:20:55 PM »
I have a Brother that works fine. I've also dealt with Ricoh MFDs (small office and bigger) with success.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 04:42:39 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone!  I just ordered a Brother 2550DW that copies, scans, and prints double sided for $129 on sale at Office Depot.

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2020, 09:09:49 PM »
I like our brother MFC 9560. Overkill? Maybe, but we bought it years ago when we printed a lot more (DW was DG and in grad school and doesn't read papers on the computer well). It has served us well and still going strong. Haven't had to do any roller/etc replacements so far, just toner.

Still its nice to have a laser that doesn't have "dried up ink syndrome" like inkjets get. And its nice to have a color printer. And brother plays nice with linux.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 10:01:25 PM by AccidentialMustache »

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 06:49:28 AM »
We have an HP, and as a printer I really like it, but when we had to buy a new router it has proven impossible to get it to hook up to the wireless again.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!