Author Topic: Advice for Cleaning Air Conditioner?  (Read 2241 times)

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
Advice for Cleaning Air Conditioner?
« on: June 02, 2014, 10:19:06 AM »
Having my finances in order, I am now trying to improve my homeowner skills and do a better job on maintenance.  Thanks to MMM's "can do" attitude, I fixed my washing machine and my leaky faucet.  Now I want to clean my air conditioner (having waited until June to use it).  However, the youtube and google info I have found offers some completely inconsistent advice, such as "spray with hose" vs. "do not spray with hose."  Can someone please advise me on the basics for cleaning my air conditioner?  Hose or no hose?  Worth getting foaming coil cleaner? Thanks in advance.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
Re: Advice for Cleaning Air Conditioner?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 11:02:05 AM »
However, the youtube and google info I have found offers some completely inconsistent advice, such as "spray with hose" vs. "do not spray with hose."

The main thing is you don't want to bend the little metal fins on the heat exchanger. A hose with a nozzle on the gentle spray setting is fine. Using the "sharp stream" setting is bad. A pressure washer is right out.

phred

• Pencil Stache
Re: Advice for Cleaning Air Conditioner?
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 12:02:26 PM »
yes, worth getting coil cleaner.  Get the professional brand from an HVAC "store" -- just spray it on & let it drip-dry.