Author Topic: Advice for a 50-year-old with little in retirement savings?  (Read 2571 times)

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
Advice for a 50-year-old with little in retirement savings?
« on: January 02, 2019, 10:36:52 AM »
My husband turned 50 on NYE. We've been together about 4 years, married since June. I'm 10 years younger than him (further away from retirement) and I've been slowly converting him to Mustachianism, but he's just come around to admitting he needs to address retirement. He's made some admittedly dumb mistakes in his past and squandered a lot of opportunities, like cashing out his 401(K) to pay for an associate's degree he never finished and not realizing tax had not been withheld. (I know, I KNOW.)

The positives: He has about $17,000 in class B shares (that he never rolled over from a previous job). He has no debt. He's finally open to taking my advice. He knows how to be frugal.

Given his past mistakes, I'm thinking he should roll over his shares into a Roth IRA (now that he's 50, $6,500). The rest should go into a 401(k) through his employer. Plus he should max it out, but invest somewhat conservatively (more bonds) because of his age.

**Is this solid advice? Am I not thinking of something?**

I should add that he has no savings, either. He was recently unemployed and burned through it all. He starts his new job next week.

Thanks, all, for your advice. And please don't shoot the messenger. There are a lot of extenuating circumstances.

TheHardenedInvestor

• Stubble
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 10:48:15 AM »
Not really missing anything. Without question your first goal for 2019 is for him to start maxing out his 401k, which is contributing $25k or about $962 every bi-weekly pay period (due to being 50+). I don’t know what your combined income is, but ultimately, if you can save 50% of your income annually you can reach FI in about 15 years. So, the work is really in the saving aspect, the investing part is easy. Just buy an index fund. As for accounts to be saving into...

1) Max out 401k
2) Max out HSA if applicable
3) Contribute to IRA if tax deductible
4) Contribute to Brokerage account and or Roth depending.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 10:51:33 AM by TheHardenedInvestor »

walkwalkwalk

• Stubble
Re: Advice for a 50-year-old with little in retirement savings?
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 10:52:59 AM »
The roth is 7k not 6500, and rolling them from a traditional 401k or ira wouldn't count towards this limit.

TheHardenedInvestor

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 10:55:26 AM »
Regarding buying bonds because of his age, keep in mind without any real savings now, and an investing timeframe until retirement of 15+ years. Going more aggressive is alright. Asset allocation is really a personal question depending on your goals and risk tolerance.

Indio

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 11:16:12 AM »
Depending upon his income, the investment options/fees in a 401k and HSA, I'd suggest approaching it in this order:
1. IRA - this could be traditional or roth depending on income. I recommend this first because he can self direct and control expense ratios.
2. 401k - Traditional or roth again depending upon income level
3. HSA - investigate investment options and expenses

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 11:22:28 AM »
Makes sense, and thanks for catching the $7k limit.

He's on my insurance and I have a maxed-out HSA. We're going to *try* and mostly live off my income while banking his.

Are index funds too conservative? That's where most of my 401(k) lives, but I wasn't sure with his age if that was still a wise move.

I don't think we qualify for the IRA tax deduction :( We'll likely file married but separately until his IRS debt is taken care of (from the aforementioned early withdrawal). That should be this year. THEN we can file jointly and we'll be well below the AGI.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 11:40:05 AM »
What kind of vehicle are the "Class B" shares from the prior job held in?  Is it an old 401(k) that is just sitting there?  If that is the case, then yes, he can either roll it into his new 401(k) (if his new employer accepts rollovers) or into an IRA.  Note that if he decides to roll it into an IRA and then convert that IRA to a Roth, he will need to pay income tax on the entire amount converted.

OTOH, if the existing investments are in a regular post-tax brokerage account, he cannot "roll them over" into his new 401(k) and will need to fund that from his upcoming paychecks.  In addition, he also could not roll that over into a new Roth -- he could merely use this year's and last year's contribution thresholds to open a Roth (so @$14K if he does it by tax day -- $7K for 2018, $7K for 2019).  But it would be far better for him to fund a Roth/tIRA with new savings instead of just tinkering with what kind of bucket his existing savings are in. 

In short, don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.  His future financial stability will rest on how much you guys manage to put away over the next 10-20 years -- not on which particular vehicle you put his existing minimal savings into.  So max out his IRA and 401(k) to the extent at all possible, put it in a low-cost, broad-market index fund* like VTSAX, and rinse/repeat for the next 15 years or so.

*I am not following why an index fund would be too conservative.  You can find an index fund to track just about any kind of market you want, from highly conservative to highly aggressive; there is nothing inherently conservative about an index fund per se.  Any kind of low-cost, broad market fund will be fine for his needs.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 11:58:27 AM »
Do you know if his shares are "pre-tax"?  If they are, he will have to pay income tax upon converting to a Roth, I believe.  If that is the case, you need to compare his (filed separately) or joint (filed jointly) marginal tax bracket with what he/you both anticipate that rate will be in retirement.

IMHO, a self directed IRA (whether Roth or traditional) is superior to a 401K because of the choices and control one has.  That said, assuming no match (if there's a match, grab that first...), I would fill an IRA, then fill as much 401K as possible.

As to what to put it into:  You and your husband need to figure out your risk tolerance and invest accordingly.  You could start with your husband reviewing Investopedia's definition:  https://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/risktolerance.asp

IMHO, For us older folk within 15 years of retirement, I am liking:  120 - Age = %equities, which in his case would be 70/30.

Congratulations and best of luck in the New Year!

frugaldrummer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 03:30:51 AM »
Ok I have a question. Or two.
One has to do with your savings plan. You've talked about socking all this money away into his retirement vehicles.Please tell me only half of your joint expendable income is going into his name (of an amount proportional to income i.e. If he makes twice what you do so 2/3 goes into his and 1/3 into yours?)

I hate to sound all unromantic but you're not 25 year olds. Yes, marriage is a partnership but I'd hate to see all your expendable money go to paying off his debts and filling his retirement accounts then see you get shafted in a divorce.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 04:14:34 AM »
One has to do with your savings plan. You've talked about socking all this money away into his retirement vehicles.Please tell me only half of your joint expendable income is going into his name (of an amount proportional to income i.e. If he makes twice what you do so 2/3 goes into his and 1/3 into yours?)

I hate to sound all unromantic but you're not 25 year olds. Yes, marriage is a partnership but I'd hate to see all your expendable money go to paying off his debts and filling his retirement accounts then see you get shafted in a divorce.

+1, I see a red flag here.

Don't live off your income only and put his money in his personal retirement account. Keep divorce in mind. Make sure you are entitled to half of it. Better to put it immediately in both your accounts.

Index funds are not conservative, but the most sensible choice, if you want to invest in the stock market.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 08:04:00 AM »
Have him sell the "B shares" today.  If there's cap gains, so be it.  Having owned stock that went to zero (well, 8.8 cents a share when bought at a bargain at $7 a share) happened to me and can happen to ANY stock.  Dump em.  Pay the tax.  Put the money into reasonable index funds.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 08:08:36 AM »

Oh yes, I'm very aware of the potential for divorce. As I've documented in my journal, this is my second marriage and I went into it with eyes wide open. We had a long engagement so a lot of these kinks would get worked out ahead of time. I've protected myself and I'm ready to live and support myself completely independently should the worst happen. I got burned (and continue to get burned) by my high-earning ex, who doesn't pay child support or his half of the children's medical expenses as required by multiple court orders. (Again, see my journal if you want further details.)

That said, I don't want to have to fully support my (current) husband in retirement, hence, gently shoving him into saving for himself. My children are the beneficiaries of my 401(k) right now and I have no plans to change that. Husband is aware. I will likely name Husband the beneficiary of my HSA, which will likely not be large, but something. I'm undecided on the house (which is in my name only and will remain that way). Our bank accounts are separate. Our taxes are separate. We don't have any credit cards or debt held jointly.

He used to make almost as much as I make, but with his new job, he will be underemployed and will make maybe 2/3 what I make. (Hoping to change that, obviously.) Chances are I will *always* make more than him - we have a bit of an unconventional role reversal that works for us as far as division of labor, etc.

Thank you for looking out for me. :)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 08:19:48 AM »
Good advice all around. 

Just sprinkling in this perspective - plenty of people around here shoot for FI-ness in ~15 years; your husband is in a similar position. In that respect his age is irrelevant.*   In other words, just approach this as "how can he go from debt-free, little savings to FI in 15 years". In that perspective there's tons of examples and relevant advice on this forum.

*actually his age will actually help him somewhat, as he has extra head-room in his tax-advantaged accounts and is much closer to receiving SS relative to a late 20-something shooting for FIRE by their early 40s. He's also unlikely to need a portfolio which would survive 50 years of withdraws.