Author Topic: Advice: Finding a job in a lower COL area from out of state  (Read 2179 times)

Mountain

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Advice: Finding a job in a lower COL area from out of state
« on: December 15, 2015, 11:15:05 PM »
TL;DR - Trying to figure out the best way to find a job and move to a lower cost of living area.  How would a Mustachian do this?

Hello everyone! I recently discovered MMM and the FIRE concept in the last couple of months.  I have made some substantial changes to my spending habits and am happy to say I have made a lot of progress!  Unfortunately, I live in a very high cost-of-living area and want to relocate to another state for the long term.  It is not possible for me to transfer to my desired state (Colorado) with my current company so relocation would require finding a new job. 

I'm trying to decide if I should continue in my current position until I am more financially stable, or try to find a new position and move ASAP.  Here is my financial picture:

Monthly expenses:
Rent: $1500 (small 1 bedroom apt - no roommates)
Student Loan: $250 (total debt left = approx. $20,000)
Electric: $15-25
Gas: $10
Internet: $52
Groceries: $250
Savings: $5,000
Monthly income (post tax & 401k deductions): $4,000

The biggest challenge I think I will face is that I will be competing with local employees.  Would it be better to stick it out until I am financially stable enough to move without a job offer?  Or keep applying until I have an offer prior to moving?

Thanks for your help!

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
Re: Advice: Finding a job in a lower COL area from out of state
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 07:48:17 AM »
Your expenses don't seem that bad to me. Although I'm confused how you save $5000/month when your income is $4,000/m..

Is your only reason for moving lower COL? I don't think that is the best, single criteria to find a place you'll be happy. Higher COL means a higher income (and vice versa) and usually also a nicer area, better public services etc. I could live cheaper in a trailer in Appalachia, but there's no way I'm doing that.. Taking a 20% pay cut to live in a 20% cheaper area gets you nowhere (except probably to an area where the schools and buses are less well funded)

I'd suggest criteria higher on your list should be what you like to do (outdoors, city life) what kind of people you want to be around (political views etc), what kind of job and of course salary. Then consider COL. Now, if you have already considered all of these things then good on you, ignore all this.

To your question; I don't see how you'd have anything to loose by applying online from out of state then traveling for an interview. Then if that don't work then consider moving there.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 10:48:01 AM »
What kind of job are you looking for?  How in demand are you skills?  For many jobs there will be a strong preference for local candidates because they don't want to wait for someone to relocate.  Much easier to select the local person who can start working in two weeks.

The_path_less_taken

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 07:42:15 AM »
Do you get a one week vacation at the current position?

I'd explore online and pitch resumes to whomever you 'really' want to see, with a note/follow-up call stating:

"I'll be available for an interview the week of xxx, as I will be in town scouting out housing options. (shows you are serious) Would it be possible to schedule with HR sometime within that timeframe? I would like to note that ethically, I feel I have to give my current employer two week notice, but I am moving to your city and feel that I could be an asset to your organization."

So depending upon how big a company, I'd pitch the resume with the note 2-3 weeks prior to the vacation.