Author Topic: Adult razor scooter?  (Read 3833 times)

littlebird

• Stubble
Adult razor scooter?
« on: July 27, 2017, 05:26:43 AM »
Right now I have a walk of almost a mile on one end of my train commute and I'm looking for ways to reduce the time this takes me. Bikes aren't allowed on the train and I only commute two days a week so I don't want to leave a bike waiting (likely to get stripped of parts in this neighborhood). My commute is too far to ride a bike the whole way.

I'm thinking about one of those adult sized razor scooters. Has anyone tried one? Pros/cons (besides the obvious dork-factor)? How much time does it save? It would be lovely to reduce my time by half. I'm just a little too old to have ridden one of these scooters as a kid but I'm starting to see adults who were presumably in that demographic riding them around town.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Adult razor scooter?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 05:35:34 AM »
You could look for a used folding commuter bike. You can put them in a bag to hide the fact that you're bringing a bike on the train :)

https://www.brompton.com/

bortman

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 06:57:04 AM »
I'd opt for a skateboard before a razor scooter.

I've tried razor scooters a few times. I'm athletic and "coordinated" (hockey player, on- and off-road cyclist, former BMXer, hiker, paddler, etc) and every time I get on one of these I'm just not comfortable. I feel like I need to keep my weight shifted back in such a way that it is just not fun. Actually, it makes me a little nervous when I see others riding them.

IMO, there is just something inherently wrong with the razor design that can easily cause a face plant. If the front wheel catches a rut then you can go down quickly, and hard. On a skateboard you have some time to catch yourself, tuck and roll if you have to, and your "active" cruising position is more comfortable and safer.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 07:00:24 AM »
i see a lot of electric adult scooters here (some areas they aren't allowed).  Look to be a terrific solution, and have people in business dress on them.

I have also seen the single wheel thing that you stand on (electric as well).  Seems to work very well and safer than I thought.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 07:02:25 AM »
My brother in law fell off one and broke some bones, so I think it takes some practice (and good insurance!)

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 07:07:48 AM »
I have the Razor A5 Lux.  It is fun, but you need smooth sidewalks to reasonably ride it for a commute, which is a pipe dream in Chicago.

You could look at a scooter with pneumatic tires - they handle uneven sidewalks better.  The Razor A5 Air is one model.  I suspect under the right conditions you could cut the walk time in half.

The other drawback is if I'm scooting at a fairly fast clip, I get sweaty, especially if it's warm.

Fi(re) on the Farm

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 08:05:21 AM »
My sister gave me one after I kept stealing my niece's. It's probably a kid sized one, I'm pretty short. I love it. I don't know how much time you would save by using it if your walk  is less than a mile, probably only a couple of minutes.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 03:08:18 AM »
You can get scooters with larger wheels that takes care of bumpy surfaces. Plenty of parents round our neighbourhood ride their kids scooters to school at the end of the school day.

littlebird

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 12:34:47 PM »
Last time I attempted to skateboard I ate shit, so I guess I'm hoping these scooters are easier to balance on. I just wish I could try before I buy!

BallerOnABudget

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 01:59:28 PM »
I also have a Razor A5 Lux. I use it for getting around my neighborhood and it's pretty solid. It folds in half and the handles pop off and fold down, so it is somewhat "portable"...but you've still got a briefcase-sized chunk of metal to carry around.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!