Author Topic: ADS security system  (Read 2384 times)

purple monkey

• Bristles
ADS security system
« on: January 18, 2017, 07:20:35 AM »
So we stupidly signed a 5 year contract that is up soon.

What should we do?

We looked at ADT and they are a little cheaper.

If we keep the equipment, will it still work or will ADS pull the plug, even though we own the equipment?

TIA

Heroes821

• Pencil Stache
Re: ADS security system
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 08:50:52 AM »
As an extremely long term ADT customer that has moved with them in the past. They really like to tell you that the old system won't work so they will sell you another.

Novik

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 09:09:22 AM »
Questions to ask yourself:

• Do you need a security system? Why?
  • If you need a security system, what features/plan level/whatever do you actually need?
  • What does your contract with ADS say about renewal pricing/auto-renewal/equipment when contract ends?
  • What does google say about ADS equipment after contract end?
  • In specific numbers: what would prices be to keep ADS, what would prices be to switch to ADT, what would contract lengths be?

It seems unlikely and irritating if one company's equipment is completely incompatible with another company. I'd believe that maybe the main controller MIGHT need replacing, but that's about it... beyond that would seem to be general company trickery.

I'd seriously research this - I bet there's lots of people who have experienced this one way or another sharing elsewhere on the internet too.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 09:31:23 AM »
It seems unlikely and irritating if one company's equipment is completely incompatible with another company. I'd believe that maybe the main controller MIGHT need replacing, but that's about it... beyond that would seem to be general company trickery.
I'd be surprised if any wired sensors were not compatible between systems, but some systems utilize wireless sensors which might not be compatible with the new controller. I imagine with sufficient knowledge of how to program the controller, most controllers could work with most monitoring companies; however, most technicians will only have the ability to program the controllers provided by the company the they work for. Most systems these days use cellular communications for monitoring. The communications module would have to be compatible with a network the monitoring company uses.

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
    • My Student Loan Refi Story
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 09:52:13 AM »
I'm a fan of Simply Safe.