Author Topic: Add 45-60 minutes to commute to save $700/month?  (Read 6181 times)

Russelsage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Add 45-60 minutes to commute to save $700/month?
« on: November 13, 2017, 10:25:24 AM »
I live in LA and work in entertainment so I'm never sure which studio I'll work at next (blue collar below the line so no I'm not a rich Hollywood person), currently I rent a small 1 bedroom in Burbank, so I'm about 10 minutes from half of studios, and 30 minutes to the other half in the morning, which translates to 10-15 minutes to 60-90 minutes on the way home with traffic.

I have the option to rent part of a house (separate entrance, as private as I would like) from a friend which is in Thousand Oaks, about 30 miles west of me, which would add about 20-30 minutes in the morning, and depending on the studio, and on the way home it would add about an hour to the studios I'm currently close to, or add maybe 10 minutes to the studios I'm currently further away from.  Again, I never know which studio I'll be at as it changes with the show.

The savings would be about $700 a month.  My commute would go from 160 miles (for close studios) and 500 miles (for far studios) a month, to around 300 miles a week regardless of the studio.  I do drive an all electric car and charging is free, however there would be obviously more wear and tear increasing that many miles, but electric cars do require less in the wear tear department.

Just curious what others thought about this time vs money issue, it's a tough one since my work location can change, so sometimes the commute would be much longer, but other times it would be basically the same depending on the studio.

Thanks for any advice!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Re: Add 45-60 minutes to commute to save $700/month?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 10:31:00 AM »
You commute about 20 days a month, right? Is 20 hours to you worth $700?

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 10:32:31 AM »
As someone who commutes in LA/OC traffic... no no no. I probably commute ~500mi a month as well and it already kills me. Sitting in traffic is the most pointless thing in the world - the only "good" thing I can think of is that I can listen to podcasts interrupted, ha.

Now, if you truly need to free up $700/mo (e.g. massive bills/debt, need to FIRE very soon) then that might change things. But I'm in the no camp.

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 10:38:21 AM »
It's a $ vs. quality of life question. I recently changed jobs and gained 2 hours of me time per day between a shorter work day and shorter commute at slightly less pay.

Russelsage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 10:42:24 AM »

Yeah usually it is M-F, 20hrs to save $700 would mean I'm basically making $35/hr to sit in the extra traffic.  It's a tough one because there are days from the further away studios that essentially it would be the same commute time, of course if I moved I'd probably end up working at the one that's 5 minutes from my house right now for the next 3 years.

Russelsage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 10:44:52 AM »
As someone who commutes in LA/OC traffic... no no no. I probably commute ~500mi a month as well and it already kills me. Sitting in traffic is the most pointless thing in the world - the only "good" thing I can think of is that I can listen to podcasts interrupted, ha.

Now, if you truly need to free up $700/mo (e.g. massive bills/debt, need to FIRE very soon) then that might change things. But I'm in the no camp.

I am just looking at more ways to save as much as possible before my job goes the way of the person who used to make $40/hr to work at the GM plant assembly line, I do not *need* the money, but in my head a $700 savings on rent seems like a lot. 

The hard part is there because sometimes the commute would stay the same if I'm at a far away studio, but if not then it would add much more, and there is no way to predict how that will go.

Russelsage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 10:46:18 AM »
It's a $ vs. quality of life question. I recently changed jobs and gained 2 hours of me time per day between a shorter work day and shorter commute at slightly less pay.

My profession we work 60+hrs every week so my day is always long, that is honestly why I'm trying to save as much as I can so I don't haev to do it until I'm 60 like everyone else!

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 11:19:01 AM »
You may already have done this, but I would personally look into all other options first before deciding one way or another. There may be an in-between choice, such as getting a roommate (or more roommates in a bigger place) to save money. What if you could save up to $700/month by staying at your current location but with an extra roommate or two, or maybe a place that is slightly smaller/older, etc?

Can your electric car last 90 minutes pretty easily? Especially with heat/AC on?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 11:53:56 AM »

Yeah usually it is M-F, 20hrs to save $700 would mean I'm basically making $35/hr to sit in the extra traffic.  It's a tough one because there are days from the further away studios that essentially it would be the same commute time, of course if I moved I'd probably end up working at the one that's 5 minutes from my house right now for the next 3 years.

$35/hr would be tough to find at a second job. 
Just how stressful do you find the traffic? Can you listen to a podcast or something?

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 11:58:07 AM »
What do you normally do when you get home from work? For me this would be a nonstarter because I have little kids, but it's not totally bonkers.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 12:09:19 PM »
I would find some other side-hustle in the world before making a LA commute worse.

ritz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 12:14:46 PM »
I live in LA and even for free rent I don't think I would be willing to move to TO. My friend just moved in with her fiancé in TO and now commutes to Glendale and is miserable; she's looking for a new job. I would look into getting a roommate first. There are normal people in LA that need roommates, you just need to screen well!

Gondolin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 12:45:20 PM »
I'd consider it. $700 is nothing to sneeze at. Yet, as someone who is currently enduring a year of 90+ minute clown commutes, I would describe my existence as a hellish nightmare from which I can never wake. It's damaging my relationship, my health and my sanity.

YMMV.

reformingSucka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 01:04:11 PM »
OP, have you ever heard someone exclaim "I love driving in traffic!"? or the likes of "Yeah, like usual, there was no traffic on the 405!"? or the 134!" or "Totally, getting in from the valley is always soo easy!"?

If you have heard these phrases being exclaimed, and you yourself nodded in agreement. Then yes, I think you should consider saving $700 dollars.

That said, of course $700 is a lot of money. And I would consider the impact on your finances in the long term, say one year. AND then consider the impact on your health, well-being, and overall life satisfaction.

LA traffic is a Death Eater - it will suck the life out of you each and every day.

Of course, as part of the financial calculation part: I recommend reading this post and calculating your true cost of commuting - http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/10/06/the-true-cost-of-commuting/

Jrr85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 01:22:43 PM »
What do you normally do when you get home from work? For me this would be a nonstarter because I have little kids, but it's not totally bonkers.

Yeah, $35 an hour to essentially listen to more podcasts/audible books doesn't seem terrible if you don't have kids at home. 

But having done a one hour and 15 minute commute, each way, for almost three years, I wouldn't go beyond that regardless. 

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 01:35:09 PM »
This particular move idea seems bad, but I'd look for other options in your current area in order to save the money without the crazy commute.

The extra driving time would be bad for your health. It might also make you lose some evening networking possibilities or small extra jobs that would be doable when close by but not worth it if they required an extra drive.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 01:48:56 PM »

Yeah, $35 an hour to essentially listen to more podcasts/audible books doesn't seem terrible if you don't have kids at home. 

But having done a one hour and 15 minute commute, each way, for almost three years, I wouldn't go beyond that regardless.

And that's $35/hour NET savings, which is closer to $50/hr.

Russelsage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 02:15:01 PM »
You may already have done this, but I would personally look into all other options first before deciding one way or another. There may be an in-between choice, such as getting a roommate (or more roommates in a bigger place) to save money. What if you could save up to $700/month by staying at your current location but with an extra roommate or two, or maybe a place that is slightly smaller/older, etc?

Can your electric car last 90 minutes pretty easily? Especially with heat/AC on?

I've looked at every avenue from living on a boat to roommates and everything in between.  My place is a 400sqft 1 bedroom so unless I want to really lower my quality of life and have someone live in my tiny living room/dining room/kitchen roommates aren't an option at my current place.

Rents have gone up about 300% since I moved into my place now, so while my landlord usually keeps my rent just a hair under market rate, A 2bedroom goes for anywhere from $2500 for a dump and up, so again I'd have to deal with another person, and basically pay the same I am now.  I'm not really interested in trying to live with a bunch of people because now everyone has to be on the lease and if one person is a deadbeat it turns into a nightmare.

The car has a range of 90 miles and is never an issue, in fact the longer it takes, the more traffic there is, which means the car uses even less power because you are going slower.   There are times even now it takes me 90 minutes to get from the west side to Burbank, that is why sometimes I feel like it doesn't really matter if I live further away, because it would take the same amount of time to get to Thousand Oaks if I am working at that studio.

Russelsage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 02:17:13 PM »

We always work a minimum of a 12hr day so usually all I have time for is maybe work out a bit, take a shower and head to bed, there's not a whole lot that I would gain or lose by an extra hour either way.  I don't have any kids and live alone.

Russelsage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 02:17:56 PM »
I would find some other side-hustle in the world before making a LA commute worse.

We always work at least 60hrs a week and usually more so there really isn't a whole lot of time or energy to put into a side hustle.

Russelsage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2017, 02:28:12 PM »
I live in LA and even for free rent I don't think I would be willing to move to TO. My friend just moved in with her fiancé in TO and now commutes to Glendale and is miserable; she's looking for a new job. I would look into getting a roommate first. There are normal people in LA that need roommates, you just need to screen well!

If I had a 9-5 I would totally agree, however I am at work at 6am if not before, so on the way in to work, it is generally fairly quick.  So the morning it isn't bad, it is in the evening when it sucks.  Part of my issue is if I work on the west side it the same amount of time to drive to TO as it does Burbank, but again I don't know where I'll be working until we get the next show.

I would get a roommate, but I purposely have a tiny 1bedroom so the rent is cheaper than most, adding another person would be the same as sharing a studio since my place is so small, and would not be worth the savings to me due to the quality of life drop with doing that.

Russelsage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2017, 02:32:05 PM »
OP, have you ever heard someone exclaim "I love driving in traffic!"? or the likes of "Yeah, like usual, there was no traffic on the 405!"? or the 134!" or "Totally, getting in from the valley is always soo easy!"?

If you have heard these phrases being exclaimed, and you yourself nodded in agreement. Then yes, I think you should consider saving $700 dollars.

That said, of course $700 is a lot of money. And I would consider the impact on your finances in the long term, say one year. AND then consider the impact on your health, well-being, and overall life satisfaction.

LA traffic is a Death Eater - it will suck the life out of you each and every day.

Of course, as part of the financial calculation part: I recommend reading this post and calculating your true cost of commuting - http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/10/06/the-true-cost-of-commuting/

No doubt, which is why I live where I live.  But since traffic has gotten worse in the past few years with more people moving here, there are times where now if I'm working on the west side, it literally takes the same amount of time for me to drive to Burbank as it would to Thousand Oaks.

I have read that article so I do realize that even though fuel for my car is free, it still costs money for other things when they go.

I'm about 5-7 years away from FI, so I am just trying to squeeze every last dollar I can out of this business before I ride off into the sunset, so part of me was thinking it might be worth the sacrifice to put away an extra 40k.

Russelsage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2017, 02:34:15 PM »

It would be about 30 minutes in the morning, but on average around an hour or so in the evening.  Maybe a bit over and hour if its really the dead of rush hour.  There are times I have to deal with this anyway if I'm working on the west side.

Russelsage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2017, 02:35:04 PM »

And that's $35/hour NET savings, which is closer to $50/hr.

That's a good point, I didn't think of that. 

Russelsage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2017, 02:37:00 PM »

$35/hr would be tough to find at a second job. 
Just how stressful do you find the traffic? Can you listen to a podcast or something?

I have Sirius (for free) so I have an endless amount of commercial free things to listen to.   For the most part I don't fall into the road rage trap so other than it being annoying I'm not losing my hair over it.  But I obviously do not enjoy it.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2017, 02:40:38 PM »
If you work 12 hour days a roommate doesn't really seem like that big of a deal. You'll barely even see them...

My 2 bedroom apartment is "only" $925 and I still have a roommate. That probably makes it seem crazy to you but it's hardly any different than living alone I feel like. I usually try to go for low-maintenance roommates, someone who is a professional (maybe even mustachian) and isn't a jerk about keeping clean and such. I've had roommates who work a lot (like a nurse who worked 12 hour days) and are gone on the weekends so it's pretty much like living alone. Most of my roommates don't cook much either so I get most of the kitchen space too. Of course I've also had bad experiences, but most of those were in college with immature people. Just food for thought based off my experiences. Some people love living alone but it's not worth it to me at the moment.

surfhb

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2017, 02:45:11 PM »
I work for the Studios as well and commute from Huntington Beach to Burbank.    Not only does it allow me to surf in the morning but would also saves me a lot in rent.   

I would do it.   That's a lot of money for maybe 4-5 hours of your time. 

Besides, Burbank is a god awful shithole ;)   Thousand Oaks is quiet and has some good hiking nearby

BTW....What do you do?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 02:49:38 PM by surfhb »

Russelsage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2017, 02:48:05 PM »
If you work 12 hour days a roommate doesn't really seem like that big of a deal. You'll barely even see them...

My 2 bedroom apartment is "only" $925 and I still have a roommate. That probably makes it seem crazy to you but it's hardly any different than living alone I feel like. I usually try to go for low-maintenance roommates, someone who is a professional (maybe even mustachian) and isn't a jerk about keeping clean and such. I've had roommates who work a lot (like a nurse who worked 12 hour days) and are gone on the weekends so it's pretty much like living alone. Most of my roommates don't cook much either so I get most of the kitchen space too. Of course I've also had bad experiences, but most of those were in college with immature people. Just food for thought based off my experiences. Some people love living alone but it's not worth it to me at the moment.

Wow I wish I could find a studio for $925.  My 1 bedroom is 400 sqft, they would have to live in the living room which is also the dining room and kitchen, so it would be like living in a dorm room, and on the weekend I would essential have to sit in my room if they are home and I want privacy, at which point I might as well rent a room from somebody else which I'm not interested in doing. 

I would rather commute 4 hours a day than share a 1 bedroom apartment with another person long term.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2017, 02:52:21 PM »

Wow I wish I could find a studio for $925.  My 1 bedroom is 400 sqft, they would have to live in the living room which is also the dining room and kitchen, so it would be like living in a dorm room, and on the weekend I would essential have to sit in my room if they are home and I want privacy, at which point I might as well rent a room from somebody else which I'm not interested in doing. 

I would rather commute 4 hours a day than share a 1 bedroom apartment with another person long term.

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't share a 1 bedroom studio! I would share a 2 bedroom or bigger, especially if the rooms are on opposite ends and there are two bathrooms. You mentioned two bedrooms are $2500, is that cheaper than renting two 1 bedrooms?

Russelsage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2017, 02:53:41 PM »

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't share a 1 bedroom studio! I would share a 2 bedroom or bigger, especially if the rooms are on opposite ends and there are two bathrooms. You mentioned two bedrooms are $2500, is that cheaper than renting two 1 bedrooms?

I pay $1400 now so it would basically be the same amount only I'd now have to live with a roommate.

noplaceliketheroad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2017, 03:31:40 PM »
No.

Working 12-16 hour days on set and purposely adding a longer commute on top of that is not the safest. Think about Friday nights/Saturday mornings when you sometimes wrap at 4am and have to drive an hour home. Not fun trying to keep yourself awake for that long. Do you really want 2 hours less sleep every night when it's already hard enough with filming schedules to find 5 hours a night to sleep?

Also, the minute you move to TO, is when you'll get offered a full time show that shoots at Universal or Warner Bros and you could have walked from your Burbank apt.

At least with living in Burbank, you'll have most of your work really close. If you move to TO, you'll be lucky to have 5 days a year that shoot close to where you live. You're pretty much in exactly the right spot now to have the best commute to any of the studios (unless you get a job at Raleigh Manhattan Beach or Santa Clarita Studios).

Russelsage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2017, 04:28:19 PM »
No.

Working 12-16 hour days on set and purposely adding a longer commute on top of that is not the safest. Think about Friday nights/Saturday mornings when you sometimes wrap at 4am and have to drive an hour home. Not fun trying to keep yourself awake for that long. Do you really want 2 hours less sleep every night when it's already hard enough with filming schedules to find 5 hours a night to sleep?

Also, the minute you move to TO, is when you'll get offered a full time show that shoots at Universal or Warner Bros and you could have walked from your Burbank apt.

At least with living in Burbank, you'll have most of your work really close. If you move to TO, you'll be lucky to have 5 days a year that shoot close to where you live. You're pretty much in exactly the right spot now to have the best commute to any of the studios (unless you get a job at Raleigh Manhattan Beach or Santa Clarita Studios).

I'm off production so no Fraturdays for me!  We usually don't work past 6pm, we work over that sometimes but they try to avoid it since they have to pay us double time after 12 and night premiums/forced calls if we work that late.  That's why it's a little different for me, my morning commute is always quick because my day always starts at 6am at the latest.  Really it would just be the drive home that I'm usually in rush hour traffic.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 04:30:52 PM by Russelsage »

noplaceliketheroad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2017, 06:44:41 PM »
Interesting...thanks for giving more info! Now I'm reconsidering a bit about what I said.

I still think that long of a commute in LA would slowly suck your will for living away, but if you are looking to FIRE quickly it might save you some money. If you're usually off by 6pm, maybe find a gym that's all over the city so you can kill a couple hours at whatever one is closest to where you are working before you commute home. 8pm is usually a little lighter traffic wise, but not always.

But then again, if you work in a physically intense job (rigging? construction?) working out after you've been lifting heavy objects all day might not be an option. If your job isn't physically demanding, it might be a good option.

I would still stick it out in Burbank. Depending on where you are, it's a pretty walkable town and I've found taking the weekends really slow is nice after those long days during the week. Would you really want to spend your weekend running errands in your car while out in TO after just spending almost a full work day in your car during the week?

reformingSucka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2017, 12:17:20 AM »

No doubt, which is why I live where I live.  But since traffic has gotten worse in the past few years with more people moving here, there are times where now if I'm working on the west side, it literally takes the same amount of time for me to drive to Burbank as it would to Thousand Oaks.

I have read that article so I do realize that even though fuel for my car is free, it still costs money for other things when they go.

I'm about 5-7 years away from FI, so I am just trying to squeeze every last dollar I can out of this business before I ride off into the sunset, so part of me was thinking it might be worth the sacrifice to put away an extra 40k.

I don’t know how old you are but 5-7 years until FIRE is awesome! That said, traffic may  make those 5- 7 years feel like 10-Life, much like a TV prision sentence. There must be another way - think a side gig can bring in 40 k, or finding a Roomate - since your place is small, have you concidered moving in with someone else? And still have the savings?

Also, what’s the risk of trying it? Say you move out to TO and hate it 2months in. What are your options then? These aren’t things you need to reply to here, obvi - but things you could consider.

ritz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2017, 10:34:56 AM »

If I had a 9-5 I would totally agree, however I am at work at 6am if not before, so on the way in to work, it is generally fairly quick.  So the morning it isn't bad, it is in the evening when it sucks.  Part of my issue is if I work on the west side it the same amount of time to drive to TO as it does Burbank, but again I don't know where I'll be working until we get the next show.

I would get a roommate, but I purposely have a tiny 1bedroom so the rent is cheaper than most, adding another person would be the same as sharing a studio since my place is so small, and would not be worth the savings to me due to the quality of life drop with doing that.

I didn't mean to share your existing apartment! That would be awful, I agree. You would have to move to a bigger place to make that work. I've read through your comments and it looks like you really want us to tell you that moving is the right decision. Why don't you ask your friend if he wants to get dinner Thursday night in TO and make the drive after work so you can get an idea of what the traffic is really like. I have seen so many coworkers just crushed by awful commutes over the years, but many of them continue choose to do them, often for financial reasons (usually because they have kids and want to live where they can afford a house). You're really the only one who can decide if it's worth it or not. If you were in debt, then I would say do it, but it sounds like you're doing great already and $1,400 is a pretty reasonable rent in LA. You'd probably be able to FIRE faster moving, but I'm of the opinion that commuting can take years off your life (sitting is the new smoking afterall!), so I'd rather enjoy life a little more now.