Poll

Ohh a poll,always fun

Stay
2 (9.5%)
Go
19 (90.5%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Apply for a new job after only 3 months.  (Read 3576 times)

Hellohi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Apply for a new job after only 3 months.
« on: March 04, 2018, 02:33:24 PM »
So I recently got a new job. It was $20k more and half the commute. The company is small and feels a bit unstable. A high level engineer was just layed off for no good reason.  I am involved in meetings with some of the top people in the company.  The day to day work is very mundane and unchallenging. I’ve been thinking of approaching my boss with some ideas to improve quality which would give me more fulfillment...I think. My boss is a bit judgie. She wants me to work ot every day. Even if I do work ot each day and want to take an hour off for a legitimate reason she tells me to just make up the time when in reality I already have. I have two young kids at home and my time off from work is very valuable to me. All in all, it’s not a bad place to work. Much better than my old company.

Anyhoo I was not even looking for something else. I had a hard enough time finding the job I have. But my wife was, and I happened across a job with a large, stable company that seems more up my ally. It’s a quality improvement position.

Good jobs in my field are hard to come by in my area so I might be missing the boat if I don’t apply.  However I feel like I should give my current job more of a chance.

I am very torn as to weather or not to apply and would love some advice.

Thanks. 

sixup

• Stubble
Re: Apply for a new job after only 3 months.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 02:56:22 PM »
Another vote to apply for the new job. I hopped from my last shithole of a job in 4 months. Started looking after the second month. Lucked out and I've been at current job for 7 months, got a 25% raise, and love it.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 03:35:24 PM »
Might as well apply. You don't have to think about "leaving" until you get an interview and job offer ;)

Hellohi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 03:49:35 PM »
Might as well apply. You don't have to think about "leaving" until you get an interview and job offer ;)

I agree but I think I would get an interview.    Not sure about an offer. I already have a hard enough time getting time off when the kids are sick and I do not have much time left for pto as it is.

Hellohi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 03:50:39 PM »
Thanks I appreciate the feed back. Can’t hurt to apply I guess.

Hellohi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 12:35:49 PM »
Well after 2 months I got a call from HR.  After discussing it they said I should be getting a call from the hiring manager in the next couple of weeks for a phone interview.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 12:51:56 PM »
Question... what kind of shithole did you work at before where a judgmental boss who demands OT every day, arbitrarily fires people, is unwilling to listen to ideas for improvement, and demands you make up extra OT for leaving on time all while running an unstable business is "much better".

My god that must have been a horrible place to work.

As to the question, I have left a job after 5 months because it was about as bas as the job you describe. It looks bad on a resume, but if you otherwise have a stellar work history(long list of references, no other jobs < 2 years), no one will care.

Also, we are pretty much at full employment in the US. Good bet that you will never have a better opportunity to find a company that is a good fit, especially in a niche position.

nick663

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 05:04:14 PM »
Yeah, I think we need info on your previous job if this is "much better."  Also agree that this shouldn't hurt your resume or future job prospects if the short duration position is the exception on your resume.

Well after 2 months I got a call from HR.  After discussing it they said I should be getting a call from the hiring manager in the next couple of weeks for a phone interview.
I don't want to shoot this down but what kind of organization waits months to call back candidates and even then, weeks between first contact and the phone interview?  Top talent generally gets snatched up quick (especially in this job market) so I would be weary of the type of coworkers you may have.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 05:10:08 PM by nick663 »

Hellohi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 05:30:29 AM »
Question... what kind of shithole did you work at before where a judgmental boss who demands OT every day, arbitrarily fires people, is unwilling to listen to ideas for improvement, and demands you make up extra OT for leaving on time all while running an unstable business is "much better".

My god that must have been a horrible place to work.

As to the question, I have left a job after 5 months because it was about as bas as the job you describe. It looks bad on a resume, but if you otherwise have a stellar work history(long list of references, no other jobs < 2 years), no one will care.

Also, we are pretty much at full employment in the US. Good bet that you will never have a better opportunity to find a company that is a good fit, especially in a niche position.

Ha yes it was a horrible place. It was a nice family owners business that was bought out by an investment company. It really went down hill fast as the investment company brought in goons from out of state to bully everyone.

Maybe I’m jaded but my in my experience my current job is not that bad. I’m less concerned with the resume and more concerned about not giving the current job a real shot. There will be lots of high level people retiring in the next 2 to 5 years, so lots of room for growth (I think).

Hellohi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 05:33:27 AM »
Yeah, I think we need info on your previous job if this is "much better."  Also agree that this shouldn't hurt your resume or future job prospects if the short duration position is the exception on your resume.

I don't want to shoot this down but what kind of organization waits months to call back candidates and even then, weeks between first contact and the phone interview?  Top talent generally gets snatched up quick (especially in this job market) so I would be weary of the type of coworkers you may have.

In my 15 years experience in this industry, large companies typically take 1-2 months after posting a position before making calls.

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 06:01:12 AM »

In my 15 years experience in this industry, large companies typically take 1-2 months after posting a position before making calls.

HR is bad at their job?

**Alert the Press!**

Also you need to push back against your boss. Every company is going to push to get more production out of their workforce. It is up to you to set boundaries. Not sure how much corporate experience you have but corporations are relentless in improving their performance every year. (as they should) I've had conversations where I set expectations and hours with management, it is not hard to do. A boss should respect these conversations as you are both professionals, unless you are terrible at your job or they are terrible at theirs!

Hellohi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 06:14:55 AM »

HR is bad at their job?

**Alert the Press!**

Also you need to push back against your boss. Every company is going to push to get more production out of their workforce. It is up to you to set boundaries. Not sure how much corporate experience you have but corporations are relentless in improving their performance every year. (as they should) I've had conversations where I set expectations and hours with management, it is not hard to do. A boss should respect these conversations as you are both professionals, unless you are terrible at your job or they are terrible at theirs!

Interesting take. Thanks for that.