Author Topic: Acid Reflux?  (Read 10423 times)

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
  • Ferocious Accounting Beast
Acid Reflux?
« on: May 10, 2016, 06:44:47 AM »
So I've been doing some research online since I've been having symptoms that sound like acid reflux and was wondering if any medical professionals or other acid reflux sufferers could give me some advice.

Sometimes I'll have a burning sensation in my stomach along with pressure in my chest. This happens most often after I eat something, but occurs mostly in the morning. It rarely happens after noon or at night unless I get really full. Sometimes I'll also feel like I have something at the back of my throat as well. My Dad has acid reflux and has damage to his esophagus as well as a hiatal hernia from this so I'm wondering if genetics has screwed me over and afflicted me with this as well.

So am I crazy or does this sound like a legit problem I need to speak with my doctor about?

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Acid Reflux?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 07:13:42 AM »
This sounds legitimate, but I would (did) look at your habits and behavior as well. I found that I rarely had identical symptoms to yours if I remained upright for at least an hour after eating. No lounging around or super late eating. Your situation is probably different, but you may find patterns that help in addition to your doctor's suggestions.

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 07:19:15 AM »
That's the problem I am upright. I don't lay down after I eat and I'm sitting up when I feel the burning sensation.

PhysicianOnFIRE

• Bristles
    • Physician On FIRE
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 07:27:37 AM »
Physician and GERD sufferer here. Daily omeprazole helps keep mine at bay.

Gastric reflux and the associated symptoms of heartburn are extremely common and your symptoms sound consistent. I'm glad you asked if you should speak with your doctor. I would say yes, but I would see the doctor at some point to make sure there's nothing else more sinister going on (although there's probably not). In the meantime, take 1 or 2 Tums or Rolaids or equivalent when you get the symptoms. You should get Instant relief. If not, it might not be GERD.

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 07:30:27 AM »
Thanks. When our summer schedule is posted and I can figure out which Fridays I have free I will make an appointment. I guess I should go out and buy some antacids in the meantime and see if those help.

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 10:02:34 AM »
See your doctor.  If you need meds it is usually cheaper through RX.  My co-pay for a month's Omeprazole (OTC Previcid I think ) is $2.  A month's OTC brand name $30-$40.

Nothing will wake you faster than to be asleep and have stomach acid shoot out your nose at pressure.

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 10:03:47 AM »
Ouch. Thank goodness that hasn't happened (knock on wood)

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 10:40:51 AM »
If stuff like Tums or Rolaids doesn't handle the reflux for you, try Gaviscon.  It's over-the-counter (sold next to Tums etc), but stronger and seemed more effective on reflux when I suffered from it a few years ago. 

Warning:  it tastes worse.  Like eating a big tablet of chalk.

music lover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 11:37:32 AM »
As a long time sufferer of acid reflux, I've found nothing beats Zantak or the generic equivalent (available at Costco). I used to eat 6 to 8 Tums a day, now 1 Zantak lasts all day long. They cost more per pill, but you need less so you come out ahead.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 12:15:04 PM »
This was a major symptom of my gluten intolerance. Went away completely when I stopped gluten. YMMV, but worth considering.

garion

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 12:22:30 PM »
I suffered from acid reflux previously and the two largest contributing factors IMO were coffee and stress. If you drink coffee in the morning (or something else acidic like orange juice), you might want to try to see if eliminating that has an effect. But yes, seeing a doctor is a good idea, especially given your family history. You can also pick up OTC drugs like prevacid and see if they work.

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 12:28:57 PM »
Nope no coffee for me. I can't stand it. Interestingly enough, I did something different this morning. I spread some peanut butter over a slice of bread and ate that as I went out the door. I usually don't eat anything in the mornings as it used to upset my stomach when I was in high school.

I didn't have the burning sensation today after my 10 am snack and I haven't felt light-headed either. I can't believe one little slice of bread with peanut butter could have this effect.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 12:33:19 PM »
Warning: I am not a doctor and you've actually gotten advice from someone that is.  So take my advice with a grain of salt.

I get GERD off and on, but I'm generally not comfortable taking the various proton pump inhibitors (like Omeprazole) long term.  There have been some studies (non-conclusive, again: grain of salt) that have shown correlation of PPIs with various other diseases.  One of them is chronic kidney disease, which runs in my family anyway.

What I do when I have it for several days is check my diet.  I can usually make adjustments for about 2-3 weeks and things return to normal -- then I gradually add stuff back in.  And yes, coffee is one of my main triggers as well.  I've cut back from <insert number that is waaaay too much> cups of coffee a day to just one or two in the morning.  When I have GERD... I cut back to 0-1.  Another for me is alcohol.  I do the same: Drop it entirely or cut back to 1 glass of wine (and eliminate hard liquor) until it's gone away.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 12:34:32 PM »
Sounds like you get to start eating breakfast.

You might want to get a checkup anyway, just because you're not having symptoms doesn't mean it isn't a problem. My mom has "silent" acid reflux.

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 12:36:17 PM »
My friend did as well. Didn't find out until he had a light run down his throat and they found the raw places from the acid coming back up.

The Happy Philosopher

• Bristles
    • thehappyphilosopher
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 01:10:45 PM »
I know this sounds crazy, but my reflux improved dramatically when I went gluten free. I don't know how or why it worked but thought I would mention it.

Many people have other more common dietary triggers such as alcohol or coffee.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2016, 01:19:38 PM »
Taking drugs isn't the ideal solution for you. They can work for some people. But they also aren't intended to be taken forever. What you ought to do is modify your activity to alleviate symptoms. Don't overeat. Chew your food well. Don't drink carbonated beverages. Avoid caffeine and alcohol. Chocolate and acidic foods like tomatoes can also be a problem. I have kept my symptoms in check by just backing off these problematic things when my throat starts to get really irritated from the stomach acid.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2016, 01:34:19 PM »
I know this sounds crazy, but my reflux improved dramatically when I went gluten free. I don't know how or why it worked but thought I would mention it.

Same story with me, but I didn't go gluten-free, I went low-carb. HUGE difference. I feel better in so many ways. I had been on PPIs for over 20 years. Now I've weaned myself off of them, hopefully for good!

(Related note: about a year ago, an ENT doctor strongly suggested I try to stop the PPIs by changing to a low-acid diet. I thought he was full of it because I went to him for neck pain, and he blamed it on acid. My neck still hurts it's due to surgery 5 years ago, not due to acid; but overall, I feel better in all other ways.)

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2016, 01:45:13 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone. I don't eat a lot at all so the overeating thing doesn't apply. I also don't drink and I have already cut back on my soda by a lot. I don't ear very acidic foods and I avoid spicy stuff too.

Eating that small peanut butter sandwich actually helped me quite a bit. I didn't feel lightheaded or have that burning sensation so I guess I'll eat something small like that as breakfast.

stlbrah

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2016, 06:07:05 AM »
http://healthwyze.org/reports/221-why-you-should-use-apple-cider-vinegar-instead-of-antacids-and-baking-soda-for-indigestion

I was able to successfully quit a 10 year addiction to Omneprozole in less than 10 days by taking some apple cider vinegar whenever I got heartburn. Now, I still take a 1 tablespoon every day and haven't had it since.

However, if you suspect any actual damage from the acid reflux, probably best to check with a professional before you take apple cider vinegar. I am no expert, but its probably not the best thing to ingest if you have any ulcers or anything
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 06:10:22 AM by stlbrah »

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2016, 06:08:52 AM »
Interesting. I'll see if I can find some when I go to the store this weekend. Do you just drink it straight? How's the taste?

stlbrah

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2016, 06:11:18 AM »
I just put the table spoon in a shot glass and fill the rest up with water. It is bad for your teeth enamel so I figured it won't linger around my teeth as much that way. I actually love the taste.

this is also worth reading if you are thinking about medications

http://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/news/20151027/chronic-heartburn-drugs-tied-to-higher-risk-of-kidney-disease
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 06:15:51 AM by stlbrah »

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2016, 06:48:33 AM »
Yeah I saw a commercial last night about the tie-in to kidney disease and was like 'nope no drugs for me'

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2016, 12:47:23 PM »
My husband has had this since he was a child and so does one of his kids. He tried all sorts of meds and some have bad side effects.  Finally he read about an old time remedy and it works the best. It is baking soda mixed with water.  He makes up a few bottles and keeps one in car, home, etc. 

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2016, 02:09:59 PM »
DH was diagnosed with acid reflux just based on description of his symptoms.  He was prescribed a PPI, which I told him I was very worried about him taking after hearing about how they work (and how they mess you up) in an NPR story.  I would proceed with caution if you are considering medication.

He's also had luck with symptom relief going low-carb, low poly-saccharides.  Unfortunately, he goes through periods of sticking to his diet well and then not sticking to it so well.

It's encouraging for me to hear of others doing well with dietary changes.  I don't want DH to suffer or let the condition cause damage (our dentist said he has the teeth of a bulimic person- acids eroding enamel big time) but I don't want him taking the meds, either.  I wish there was more of a permanent "cure" and he could go back to a normal diet.  I've heard GAPS can be this, but it's really quite restrictive and a lot of effort to stick with properly, so we really haven't gone there...

wisermiser

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2016, 02:54:20 PM »
+1 on using diet to control acid reflux and dropping the meds.  Too many doctors encourage you to treat the symptom and pill and bill you.  There are lots of books on elimination diets to help you figure out what your issue is, I think I used Whole 30.  It is tough at first, but once you find out how much better your diet can make you feel it is a lot easier.  Take it seriosly though, it is linked to esophigeal cancer. 

Hopefully not the case, but also be aware of Eosinophilic Esophagitis - a possibly related condition that has only been identified in the last 20 years.  The esophagus actually scars and shrinks and you subsequently have trouble swallowing.  I seem to be able to control this through diet although I had to have a surgery to stretch the esophagus back open. 

westtoeast

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2016, 03:21:07 PM »
Hello! Disclaimer: I am not a doctor. This might not be your issue at all, but I have read that symptoms of acid reflux may actually be caused by (counter-intuitively) low stomach acid. In this case, using PPI's will actually create dependency and worsen symptoms. There is an easy baking soda home test you can do to see if this might be your issue. The solution is taking pills called Betaine HCL with each protein containing meal. Just something to consider!

Here is a link to a site that talks more about low stomach acid:
http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/06/hypochlorhydria-3-common-signs-of-low-stomach-acid/

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2016, 04:10:21 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone. I don't eat a lot at all so the overeating thing doesn't apply. I also don't drink and I have already cut back on my soda by a lot. I don't ear very acidic foods and I avoid spicy stuff too.

Eating that small peanut butter sandwich actually helped me quite a bit. I didn't feel lightheaded or have that burning sensation so I guess I'll eat something small like that as breakfast.

Not surprised.  I know a couple people who'll get it if they don't eat small frequent meals. 
But see your doctor amyway.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2016, 05:25:23 PM »
Be careful with the vinegar and HCL Betaine solutions.  Some people may have acid reflux due to low acid production but not all.  I have dealt with acid reflux since 2005.  I'm at the point where I'm going to look for a surgical solution.  Over the last 11 years, I've tried every possible cure--often twice over.  Taking vinegar and HCL Betaine gave me searing pain.  Knowing what I do now, I should have had Gaviscon on hand to mitigate the experiments' side effects.

westtoeast

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2016, 06:49:56 PM »
"Be careful with the vinegar and HCL Betaine solutions.  Some people may have acid reflux due to low acid production but not all.  I have dealt with acid reflux since 2005.  I'm at the point where I'm going to look for a surgical solution.  Over the last 11 years, I've tried every possible cure--often twice over.  Taking vinegar and HCL Betaine gave me searing pain.  Knowing what I do now, I should have had Gaviscon on hand to mitigate the experiments' side effects."

Yes, very good point! I recommend doing the baking soda test before trying HCL. Drink a teaspoon of baking soda mixed into a small glass of water first thing in the morning before you eat. Wait 5 minutes. If you burp early on, you probably have plenty of acid. If you don't burp or burp after 5 minutes you might not have enough acid. ALSO if you try the HCL pills and they make your stomach burn, baking soda in water can reverse this as well. Good luck figuring this all out!

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2016, 06:54:27 PM »
I burp after eating or drinking anything.  Just a sip of water will induce burping.  Yes, baking soda is useful when desperate to put out the fire.

Mr. Paws

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2016, 08:14:16 AM »
Physician and GERD sufferer here. Daily omeprazole helps keep mine at bay.

Gastric reflux and the associated symptoms of heartburn are extremely common and your symptoms sound consistent. I'm glad you asked if you should speak with your doctor. I would say yes, but I would see the doctor at some point to make sure there's nothing else more sinister going on (although there's probably not). In the meantime, take 1 or 2 Tums or Rolaids or equivalent when you get the symptoms. You should get Instant relief. If not, it might not be GERD.

I also suffer from GERD.  My physician originally had me taking omeprazole daily.  After about 25 days straight i would start getting stomach pain.  Felt like it was behind my sternum.  We switched medicines several times with similar results and the next time i saw him i asked if i could cycle on and off and he said thats fine. He said just take it for a bit and then take a break as long as i dont experience heartburn.  Does that sound correct? Not sure why he would have me taking it daily and changing medication when it became painful, when the solution was simply to cycle on and off it at will?

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2016, 08:20:45 AM »
I was never able to take PPIs without experiencing side effects.  I must have tried at least 1/2 dozen brands.  The last time I took a PPI regularly, I had to take domperidone.  Otherwise, the food hung around too long and yep, I would get acid reflux. So yeah, taking a PPI in the morning guaranteed reflux by late afternoon daily.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 08:46:37 AM by dodojojo »

LAGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2016, 08:23:41 AM »
I get it too. Mine manifests itself as a cough, from the irritation to my esophagus. Almost to the point that I'm regurgitating. Omeprazole works for me as well. Also, if I can manage to eat an absolutely pristine diet, very low in fat, I can do without the meds as well. Fat is what really sets it off. Eating a burger and fries turns my stomach inside out.

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2016, 02:07:00 AM »
A few suggestions from a former chronic acid reflex/stomach ulcer sufferer :)

Two alcoholic drink maximum
Dietary control as suggested above. If you feel a bit acidic, drop your known triggers.
No antacids. They upset the natural acid balance in your stomach. But wean yourself off them, in conjunction with other changes.
Daily apple cider vinegar shot. I use raw unfiltered vinegar but I dilute it with quite a bit of water (like 400ml) and add apple juice.

For those who have trouble eating fats, you should look into trying bitters. This is an example:

http://www.iherb.com/Flora-Floradix-Gallexier-Herbal-Bitters-8-5-fl-oz-250-ml/3019

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2016, 09:02:04 AM »
http://hub.me/a7ijn

I wrote that article a few years ago, about my GERD experiences. Maybe it will help. It basically mirrors much of the advice others posted above though...

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2016, 10:24:04 AM »
So I've been doing some research online since I've been having symptoms that sound like acid reflux and was wondering if any medical professionals or other acid reflux sufferers could give me some advice.

Sometimes I'll have a burning sensation in my stomach along with pressure in my chest. This happens most often after I eat something, but occurs mostly in the morning. It rarely happens after noon or at night unless I get really full. Sometimes I'll also feel like I have something at the back of my throat as well. My Dad has acid reflux and has damage to his esophagus as well as a hiatal hernia from this so I'm wondering if genetics has screwed me over and afflicted me with this as well.

So am I crazy or does this sound like a legit problem I need to speak with my doctor about?

I had it for a decade; my dad had the same background as yours; sometimes it got so bad I would have to stop exercising.  When it got severe, I would take a round of prilosec which kept it in check.

I played around with my diet, and eventually found that eating bread (or maybe wheat) was the main trigger.  It is not gluten; I eaten plenty of gluetn (seitan).  However, I cut bread out of my life and all of a sudden by crazy heartburn stopped.  It was a day/night difference; it was a dramatic improvement in my life.  I don't know the exact cause/reason that this works, but it works and I will likely stick with it the rest of my life.  Never hurts to experiment with our diet!  Give it a whirl.   If it does work, PM and let me know as I'd be curious if others have a similar experience.

I still occasionally get heartburn; usually from eating a lot of pizza, or coffee.  Sometimes I even eat a little bread (usually as a treat; I like french bread as a vehicle for olive oil); if I eat too much, the heart burn returns.  One possibility is that the lining of your esophagus gets worn down and needs time to rebuild itself.

Good luck!  Heart burn sucks!  And it can have major consequences if allowed to go on for too long.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2016, 02:09:40 PM »
Like many here I had GERD and was on Nexium (another PPI) for several years.  When I went low-carb it stopped.  Now too many carbs will trigger it (sugars and easy to digest carbs like rice flour), but wheat triggers it faster than anything else.  I avoid things like gluten-free pasta, because they still are triggers. Just a side note, although I had acid reflux my main symptom was excessive stomach gas, so bad I could hardly breathe at times because of the diaphragm pressure.  Not being a kid, the easy burping was not a plus  ;-)

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2016, 04:11:19 PM »
Funny thing, a friend of mine just asked me this weekend about some natural solutions for reflux/GERD. I'll just post the reply I sent her:

Regarding your heartburn, it could be that you're consuming too much protein and not enough "green stuff," especially raw, leafy stuff. It takes our bodies a great deal of effort and a great deal of stomach acid to digest animal protein, so making this too high in your diet could lead to heartburn/GERD, as well as over acidifying your body.  Our bodies were meant to exist in an alkaline state and making plants (grains don't count!) the primary bulk of our diet helps us raise and maintain our alkalinity. Plant material, especially raw, contains natural enzymes that help break down food and give our stomach acid a break. I think the good guideline out there right now is to make at least half your plate veggies and no more than a 1/3 meat/protein. Just eating straight meat with not much else will be more likely to give you heartburn. Do you use organic coconut oil at all? Swapping some of your protein calories for healthy fats could also help your GERD in addition to give you more energy.

One product I love to take is something called digestive enzymes. My digestion isn't always the best either and I find when I've got heartburn or indigestion or I know I'm about to eat a hard-to-digest food, I can take enzymes and they really help. Papaya chewable enzymes are easy to take, inexpensive and fast acting and you can find them at the health food stores. I usually buy this one or something similar: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/american-health-super-papaya-enzyme-plus-180-tabs.  It really works. Another, stronger product I use sometimes together with that is enzyme capsules that contain a variety of enzymes like protease, lipase, lactase, etc. [which digest protein, lipids (fats) and lactose, respectively]. Source Naturals is my favorite, but there's lots of good ones out there. http://www.swansonvitamins.com/source-naturals-essential-enzymes-500-mg-240-caps Those aren't as fast-acting since they're capsules, but they do a more thorough job...sort of like TUMS versus a Prevacid capsule. Caroline uses this product as well, and you know it must be good if it helps her!

Another thing that might help you, especially since you're also trying to get your hormones in balance is probiotics. You might consider sampling some naturally fermented veggies like "live" kimchi, sauerkraut or pickles. This would not be the cans or jars you get at the store, as this stuff is sort of "alive" in that it is still actively fermenting, like beer. Bubbies is a popular brand. Natural health stores have it in the refrigerated section and you've got to keep it cold or "burb" it, otherwise it will explode! 😊 It is full of gobs of beneficial bacteria that will help correct the imbalances in your gut that have led to poor digestion, blood sugar issues, etc. The US is kind of unique in that we don't really regularly consume many natural, fermented vegetables...no wonder we have more bowel issues than other countries! There's also this drink called Kombucha which is great, but since you're on the low sugar thing, this might not be the best at the moment. Same thing with kefir, which is sort of a yogurt drink--commercial versions aren't that strong and usually contain loads of sugar, so I don't recommend those. I make my own kefir and if you're interested in experimenting, I could give you some of the "grains" used to ferment the milk.
You can also try taking probiotic capsules which kind of do the same thing and are easier to deal with. You may notice changes in your bowel habits for a short time, but consistent use will result in better regulated bowels. You can talk to someone in your local health food store for recommendations, usually, if you're not sure what to buy.  I think everyone is different, as I've tried certain probiotic pills and they either did nothing, or made me bound up or have diarrhea too much, so you may have to experiment. Enzymatic Therapy makes some really excellent products like this one, http://www.swansonvitamins.com/enzymatic-therapy-pearls-ic-intensive-care-probiotics-90-caps, but they are a bit pricey. You could start with something cheaper and see how it goes.

When I've really got pain in my stomach or esophagus from heartburn or some irritating thing I ate, I use something called DGL. DGL is an abbreviation for a really long name that basically means licorice extract with the blood pressure raising compound removed. It comes in tablets that you have to either chew or suck on because it needs your saliva to activate it. Does it taste good? No, not really. Actually it's rather nasty...especially to me because I really don't like licorice. And it turns my tongue brown, kind of like Pepto. But it sure works when you're really in pain. Somehow, licorice soothes the lining of your stomach. So, it doesn't help you digest your food so much as it just soothes the irritation. I've used this when nauseous and it stopped me from throwing up. Great for when you're trying to sleep!
Another thing that helps when you're hurting is aloe vera juice. Again...not the greatest taste, but this you can at least mix with other stuff. They also make aloe vera pills which I use occasionally when I'm all irritated inside. They also help constipation if you have that problem.

Ginger Chews, ginger capsules or ginger tea helps me sometimes, especially if my tummy is just really feeling wonky all day. Ginger can really get things settled down for you and is also great if you think you're going to puke. I buy a lot of products through the website I keep posting, Swanson Vitamins. Their products are much cheaper than stores and they have really great reviews on their products so you can see how things have worked for others. They also often post the age range of the people giving the reviews, so sometimes you see if people your age had success with something or not.

Sorry, this might have been more than you were looking for! Sorry to ramble on. For more ideas on how to correct your body from GERD as well as other quick fixes I didn't mention, you can check out http://www.naturalnews.com/035720_acid_reflux_natural_remedies_heartburn.html.

Tyler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2016, 04:46:10 PM »
I've been dealing with this as well.

The two things that worked best for me were changing my diet and taking probiotics.  For the diet, read this.  It's an excellent resource.  The probiotics made things a little worse for about a week (a normal reaction as the bad bacteria is being killed off and being replaced by the good stuff) but after that I started to notice a positive difference in how I feel. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 04:55:11 PM by Tyler »

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2016, 08:28:52 PM »
Funny thing, a friend of mine just asked me this weekend about some natural solutions for reflux/GERD. I'll just post the reply I sent her:

Regarding your heartburn, it could be that you're consuming too much protein and not enough "green stuff," especially raw, leafy stuff. It takes our bodies a great deal of effort and a great deal of stomach acid to digest animal protein, so making this too high in your diet could lead to heartburn/GERD, as well as over acidifying your body.  Our bodies were meant to exist in an alkaline state and making plants (grains don't count!) the primary bulk of our diet helps us raise and maintain our alkalinity. Plant material, especially raw, contains natural enzymes that help break down food and give our stomach acid a break. I think the good guideline out there right now is to make at least half your plate veggies and no more than a 1/3 meat/protein. Just eating straight meat with not much else will be more likely to give you heartburn. Do you use organic coconut oil at all? Swapping some of your protein calories for healthy fats could also help your GERD in addition to give you more energy.
....snip....
Sorry, this might have been more than you were looking for! Sorry to ramble on. For more ideas on how to correct your body from GERD as well as other quick fixes I didn't mention, you can check out http://www.naturalnews.com/035720_acid_reflux_natural_remedies_heartburn.html.

Interesting how different people have such different results. I went on a meat-and-green-veggies diet after I got GERD. Very high meat, and very high fat. It helped a lot. I find low-carb to be the best for me.

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2016, 06:23:30 AM »
I didn't think so many people suffered from this. That cookbook looks good thanks Tyler. And MVal I do eat a lot of protein. We eat hamburger helper or pasta with ground turkey meat two to three nights a week and turkey burgers one night a week. We eat chicken once or twice a week and I eat a turkey sandwich every weekday for lunch. I don't eat a lot of vegetables as I still remember the 'yuck' taste from when I was younger. I'd like to eat more vegetables, I just don't know how to cook them and make them taste good while still being healthy.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2016, 08:44:58 AM »
I find I actually eat a lot of vegetable on a low-carb diet, because they are very bulky for the actual amount of carbs in them.  Moderate serving of meat, huge pile of broccoli or sugar snap peas or whatever, with a bit of butter.  For me just the sugary vegetables, like carrots, need to be in smaller quantities.

Totally OT, but I found that when I went low-carb with mostly animal fats, and no heavily processed vegetable oils (i.e. olive oil good, canola bad) that I sun-burned much less.  And home-made mayo for summer salads, with olive oil and eggs from heritage breed chickens (barred rock, for those who care) that run around a barn and barnyard - so good.

Interesting how different people have such different results. I went on a meat-and-green-veggies diet after I got GERD. Very high meat, and very high fat. It helped a lot. I find low-carb to be the best for me.

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2016, 01:36:41 PM »
I didn't think so many people suffered from this. That cookbook looks good thanks Tyler. And MVal I do eat a lot of protein. We eat hamburger helper or pasta with ground turkey meat two to three nights a week and turkey burgers one night a week. We eat chicken once or twice a week and I eat a turkey sandwich every weekday for lunch. I don't eat a lot of vegetables as I still remember the 'yuck' taste from when I was younger. I'd like to eat more vegetables, I just don't know how to cook them and make them taste good while still being healthy.

How do you feel about stir-fry and sort of "Asian" style foods with veggies in them? A very light sauteé or steaming with a very nice oil like a flavored olive oil drizzled on it and some fresh herbs can make them more palatable and in my mind, more the way they were meant to be enjoyed. I find a lot of people who don't like veggies were raised on canned or overcooked veggies which we all know is just gross. Look up some cooking videos, especially by those chefs on PBS like Lidia Bastianich and Jacques Pepin and just make whatever looks simple and tasty to you.

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2016, 01:38:55 PM »
Good idea. I didn't know PBS had cooking videos. I need to look that up.

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2016, 02:31:22 PM »
Good idea. I didn't know PBS had cooking videos. I need to look that up.

Oh yeah, they're great...and so relaxing, I think. On my local PBS station, there's a program called "Create" where they feature all sorts of different chef programs like this, http://kcpt.org/highlights/lidias-italy-in-america/. I also love Cook's Country and even Martha Stewart. I especially love Simply Ming.

Food and veggies are art, so just play around with them and learn how to express yourself through cooking! :)

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2016, 07:12:20 PM »
The first step for treatment & diagnosis is taking omeprazole or one of the other anti-reflux medications. Also avoid chocolate and alcohol before sleeping. Spicy food doesn't exacerbate it. If your symptoms do not improve after 3 weeks, you should be evaluated further to make sure there isn't an esophageal motility disorder (very rare, but can also cause your symptoms). If there isn't anything else, then it's fine to take the anti-reflux medication daily for prolonged periods. There are some low risk of side effects, mostly related to bone loss and interactions with various medications old people take.