Author Topic: Accommodation Paris, France  (Read 4457 times)

Joan-eh?

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Accommodation Paris, France
« on: March 22, 2015, 02:35:05 PM »
Any ideas for accommodation for young adult couple in Paris in July - near or easy to get to St Germain area?

terran

• Magnum Stache
Re: Accommodation Paris, France
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 03:12:10 PM »
We used AirBNB and it worked out well. It was tiny, but spending time in your room really isn't the point of being in paris anyway :-)

We were in the Rue Clare neighborhood which we liked.

Josiecat

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 05:24:21 PM »
I don't recommend airbnb.  Paris is cracking down on these illegal units.  To the point, that inspectors are following tourist with luggage down the street to find out where they're going.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-08-07/paris-airbnb-cops-want-to-know-if-you-re-rental-is-legal

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 05:34:41 PM »
We stayed here:https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1546160

But yikes, about Josiecat's post. Not the way to start a vacation! That's really unfortunate to hear.

Josiecat, I'm not seeing the part about tourists being followed or what happens to the tourist -- just the landlord. Do you know what the consequence is as a tourist? Even if you're just out the room and have to find other accommodations once there that would probably keep me away. Are any rooms on AirBNB legal, or are they by definition illegal?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 05:43:08 PM by terran »

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 05:48:29 PM »
In July there will be so many tourists I highly doubt that police will be tracking down each tourist to see where they are staying. The reward may be worth the slight risk. I'd search AirBnB for a unit that meets your needs (we stayed in the Marais neighborhood and liked it a lot). Other sites that might be helpful are http://www.vrbo.com/ and http://www.parisattitude.com/

Rosbif

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 04:44:01 AM »
Yeah they're cracking down on owners, not tourists. If you want to do holiday rentals you're supposed to put an identical number of square feet of permanent residential real estate back on the market. Which is just not available, so people are doing it without the proper authorisations. If it's their main home, and they're out of town, that's fine. Realistically, you stand a very significant of having no problems whatsoever! Marais is a nice place to stay if you're visiting.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 09:21:43 AM »
I stayed in this AirBnB with my boyfriend and two other friends and it was lovely: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2530537

The hosts were incredibly charming... hope they were not running afoul of the law!

Josiecat

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 08:22:11 PM »
Tonight's edition of "66 Minutes" (French TV, investigative reports) featured an update of the new Mayor's attempt to crackdown on illegal vacation rentals in Paris. It was on channel M6, if any of you have access to that.

The Mayor's office is currently targeting "big fish" - people who own and operate multiple vacation rentals, whether or not they are in the same building or scattered around town. A representative of the Mayor's office has been assigned to check websites - there are about 300 vacation rental sites for Paris - then personally visits the properties and files a report, after which the property owner will be prosecuted and fined.

A camera crew followed the investigator as she visited one building in the Marais, which was interesting. She first spoke to the gardienne, who verified which apartments were rentals and gave her opinion of the tourists who were staying there and in neighboring buildings (spoiler alert: she spilled the beans, and it was not complimentary).

Next, the investigator identified herself at each apartment, asked the people staying there if they were residents or "just visiting", thanked them and continued to canvass the building. She was shown entering one apartment, where she spoke to the cleaning lady who was getting it ready for the next tenants (she also had a lot to say) and took photos of the interior and exterior. A report was submitted to the Mayor, and this particular property owner was given a 5,000 EU fine and will have additional woes if he continues to rent short-term.

It was made clear that none of the tenants was inconvenienced or prosecuted - other than being on TV for 60 seconds - and that the Mayor is targeting property owners, not tenants. Even though the representative was very pleasant and spoke several languages, the tenants looked pretty worried. I would bet most of them tried to phone the person they rented from, as soon as they shut the door.

So, what does this mean to you?

Many people are still not aware that the vast majority of short-term rentals in Paris are technically illegal - and have been for many years, though this has rarely been enforced. Many people don't care, and don't mind breaking the law, as long as it means they don't have to stay in hotels. Though enforcement will continue to be spotty, and justice moves more slowly than an escargot, it would probably be a good idea to start thinking about other options for your trip to Paris.

In addition to the "big fish", AirBnB was also recently hit with a huge fine - an easy target, since this is a large organization whose owner openly and joyfully disregards the law.

If you still intend to rent an apartment, you should probably avoid those listings which refer you to "see my many other properties", since these are the "big fish". Probably not a good idea to deal with AirBnB either, at the moment. Last-minute cancellations will continue to be a problem, since much hinges on complaints from neighbors - and gardiennes - and there are a lot of "informers" who are tired of having too many strangers on their property. You might consider booking a completely-refundable hotel room, just to protect yourself.

Several people will undoubtedly chime in to tell you everything is fine, and not to worry, etc.

I'm just reporting the facts, so you can make an informed decision.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 09:16:57 PM »
Indeed, legality of AirBnB is a bit of a grey zone in many cities around the world. I've used them couple times and no problem so far (not in Paris). It's not just about cost, they are providing a service not easily available through hotel industry. That is a place where you don't have to rely on eating out for every meal and where more than two people can stay in a same place. People who rent those apartments ought to pay taxes just like hotel owners do of course. Unsurprisingly hotel owners hate them as they decrease their business for sure, particularly in the lower and medium price segment. Not so sure about decreasing the amount of available housing - overall number of visitors doesn't increase or at least not appreciably because of existence of those rentals. Plus it's not really all gravy for those landlords, particularly if they have only 1-3 properties. It's a lot more work and cost to succeed (no 100% occupancy, frequent repairs) in this than just renting long term and "forgetting" about your property.

If I were going to Paris, I might still use them but indeed also reserve refundable hotel room. You aren't going to lose any money directly with AirBnB, generally they are good at refunding money in case of any troubles but finding another accommodation on the spot might be pricey. Additionally if you rent a place in a residential building don't give neighbours and additional reason to report you by being loud and obnoxious. That's just a common courtesy really.