Author Topic: Accessing Medical Records  (Read 3444 times)

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
Accessing Medical Records
« on: April 15, 2016, 09:53:08 AM »
Hi everyone,
I underwent a number of medical procedures recently (ugh!) & now have 2 CDs of medical records. I would like to open them but can't. Background: I am using an early 2009 MacBook running OS X 10.9.5
CD #1 has a Windows-only program on it called MiDent View & requires the use of MiPACS CD Viewer. The program won't open on my Mac & so I can't view the images.
CD# 2 seems to use a program called lbxstart.exe. Again, the program is Windows-only.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get access to the images?* Thanks.

*Neither medical provider has been at all helpful in getting me access to the images. I have access to a windows computer but it lacks a CD drive. My neighbors are all Apple users as well. Renting a machine from Kinkos would be a last resort.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Accessing Medical Records
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 09:56:27 AM »
http://www.howtogeek.com/187359/5-ways-to-run-windows-software-on-a-mac/

First result on google. Have you tried anything?

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 10:05:01 AM »
Alternately, just get a cheap USB CD drive for the windows machine.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 02:46:15 PM »
Get a external CD drive for the Windows computer. The cheap PACS image viewers (google that term to find example programs) for Mac are super frustrating to use. The useful ones are in the $100+ range. If you have just plain film x-rays that you want to see, ask if the radiologist office can export them as images rather than pacs (dicom) files.

Mountainbug

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 03:02:22 PM »
Get a external CD drive for the Windows computer. The cheap PACS image viewers (google that term to find example programs) for Mac are super frustrating to use. The useful ones are in the $100+ range. If you have just plain film x-rays that you want to see, ask if the radiologist office can export them as images rather than pacs (dicom) files.

+1 I have used MiPACS and those images can be exported as images (I think as jpeg)

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 06:04:23 AM »
Also, maybe try one of the free Photoshop-like programs (or an Adobe free trial). I was able to open dicom files from the vet with Photoshop CS5 a while back.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!