Author Topic: Accepted a job offer, reconsidered the position; advise?  (Read 2698 times)

Healthie

• Stubble
Accepted a job offer, reconsidered the position; advise?
« on: August 24, 2016, 10:07:29 AM »
Hi everyone,

I was recently recommended by several people to apply for this non-profit organization, which I did, and I was offered a position, which I accepted, and I'm now going to back out.

The positive things about this work:
-the people are great - people tend to stick around; which is uncommon in this industry
-the learning experience with this group of people would be useful to my future career (nursing)

the negative things:
-the commute is an hour each way and includes purchasing x2 $4 bus tickets to get there and back
-the wage is significantly lower than my present job
-I may be taking on too much taking this job on

Currently I work for a company with whom I'll be on the casual list (going back to school) starting in september, and I have a sizeable amount of seniority; so shifts won't be in shortage. I need to do extremely well in my courses as nursing is incredibly competitive to get into, and I should have more than enough potential shifts through my current position. I met a few people who work for this company and have heard nothing but great things, but I'm realizing I've put too much on my plate.

How would you handle this? Has this happened to you before?

Thanks MM forum!

Lis

• Pencil Stache
Re: Accepted a job offer, reconsidered the position; advise?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 11:01:25 AM »
Please let your new company know that you're backing out ASAP. We had someone accept a position, and come the first Monday she was supposed to work, she just didn't show up. We called her, we called her recruiter, and we never heard from her again. It set us back a few weeks and wasn't fair to anyone in my company. Being on the opposite end of this sucks.

Look, your reasons for deciding not to take the job are your own. The reasons you list about not wanting to go forward with this job sound legit. The unfortunate thing is you already accepted, which you shouldn't have done until you weighed all the factors. But what's done is done.

Call them now and say that while you appreciate the opportunity, you've realized that it isn't feasible, apologize for inconveniencing them, and wish them the best of luck. Realize that you probably burned your bridges with a few people - at the company and possibly the people that recommended you. Please be 100% sure of your decision before you confirm them with anyone at your present or new job.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 11:05:37 AM »
Look, your reasons for deciding not to take the job are your own. The reasons you list about not wanting to go forward with this job sound legit. The unfortunate thing is you already accepted, which you shouldn't have done until you weighed all the factors. But what's done is done.

Call them now and say that while you appreciate the opportunity, you've realized that it isn't feasible, apologize for inconveniencing them, and wish them the best of luck. Realize that you probably burned your bridges with a few people - at the company and possibly the people that recommended you. Please be 100% sure of your decision before you confirm them with anyone at your present or new job.

This is a great post.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 11:16:14 AM »
Did something similar recently....

I tentativly accepted a job after a phone interview on the condition of an in person meeting. The commute, lack of parking, pay cut, some inside information I got after the interview (realized an old colleague worked there and picked her brain), and other red flags made me ultimately decline the offer. I sent an email w/ general reasons (15 hours of weekly commuting and lower pay), apologies, etc. never heard back but the job was reposted. I would encourage you to let them know as soon as possible so that they can move on to another candidate. I do feel that I burned some bridges,  it the job was going to make me really unhappy.

Kakashi

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 06:04:25 PM »
Agree with above.

Your best bet is as soon as possible, notify them that you will no longer be taking the position and I apologize for any inconveniences. 

If for instance everything just occurred yesterday, and you notify them immediately, they really haven't lost much momenum in the hiring process.  But if you wait 2 weeks when they've notified all the other candidates the jobs been filled, now they have to either go back to the other candidates or find new ones. 

Healthie

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 08:21:20 PM »
Thanks everyone - I left a message and sent an email this morning. Definitely a learning experience. Left it pretty vague; just said it wasn't feasible (great word) to take on.

That commute, man. This blog has made me unable to do big commutes. They're a big deal.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 09:38:19 PM »
Sounds like you handled it about as well as it could have been under the circumstances. +1 for short commutes!