Author Topic: One-off camping trip  (Read 2632 times)

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
One-off camping trip
« on: June 04, 2019, 03:19:24 PM »
I'm hiking the Inca Trail in 3 weeks.  It will be a 4 day hike and 3 nights in tents.  I do not camp.  I have zero camping gear.  The group I'm hiking will provide almost everything except for a sleeping bag.  I'm not keen on buying a quality bag since it's unlikely I will ever camp again.  Now, I can rent a bag when I get to Cuzco, but I'm having a hard time getting over the ick factor.  I have little confidence the bags are thoroughly cleaned after each rental. 

And yet, I don't want to pay a lot of money for a sleeping bag that will unlikely go unused after this trip.

So it's rent a bag--and buy a liner to get over the ick factor?  Buying a quality liner is about the same price as a cheapie sleeping bag though.

Buy a cheapie bag off of Amazon.  This has been my first option but I'm concerned I will freeze to death since it's winter in Peru.  The cheapie bags are more suited for warm to mild weather.  I would layer, but am still concerned this may not be enough if the temps go into the low 30's.  I want to be frugal but not at the cost of freezing and being too tired to hike.

Any tips?

trix76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: One-off camping trip
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 03:26:07 PM »
Use a flat sheet from your house as a sleeping bag liner? I had one partially sewn up the side to create a sleep sack. Then rip out the stitches after the trip, and it’s back to being a normal sheet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 03:53:42 PM »
Get a thin liner made of silk. They cost prob 30-40-50 bucks but they last forever and weight close to nothing. This will serve as sufficient cover when sleeping in very warm temperature, will function as linen a place providing a duvet and a pillow and you can put it inside the 2nd hand sleeping bag you but for this trip and sell when you get home.

Like this
https://www.amazon.com/Silver-Mulberry-Single-Sleeping-Sleepsack/dp/B00J95UQ6U/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=silk+sheet+bag&qid=1559685138&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Any decent camping store will have something similar.

StacheDash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 05:24:17 PM »
Have you thought about buying a nice bag (new or used) and then reselling it?

I have only been on a few backpacking trips, but I wouldn’t want to mess around with comfort or safety in the winter. I imagine you are spending a decent amount of money on the trip. A good night’s sleep can make a big difference in how much you enjoy the trip and associated expense.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 05:45:25 PM »
I'd do the rental, with a liner. I like liners even in my own bags, and if space isn't an issue, sewing your own is easy!

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 05:46:35 PM »
Do you have any friends with sleeping bags you trust to borrow? My brother and his wife borrowed from us when they did the Salkantay. If not, I recommend the liner. Or, you could rent a sleeping bag from REI (if you have one near you). Then you could clean it thoroughly yourself before your trip to get over the "ick" factor.

jeroly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 05:52:18 PM »
Do you bring your own blankets when you stay at a hotel?
Why is there a different "ick factor" for that than for a rented sleeping bag?

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 06:26:20 PM »
Hotel bed sheets are easier to clean though, they go into a washer.  If I can, I do not use hotel duvets without removable covers.  I just turn down the AC and use the flat sheet as a cover.  I know some sleeping bags are machine-washable but again, not an easy item to just chuck in for a wash. Guess I'm a cynic and think if businesses can cut corners, they will.

I'm leaning towards a liner--it would also mean I won't have to lug a sleeping bag in my luggage. 

I'm not much good at sewing though, so I'll buy. 

Friends have old bulky and heavy sleeping bags.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 06:28:34 PM »
Or, you could rent a sleeping bag from REI (if you have one near you). Then you could clean it thoroughly yourself before your trip to get over the "ick" factor.

Didn't know REI rented gear.  I'll give them a call, thanks for the tip.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 11:58:58 AM »
Didn't know REI rented gear.  I'll give them a call, thanks for the tip.

You're welcome! My friend rented gear when she did Everest Base Camp. I think it varies store to store what they actually offer, but it's definitely worth checking.

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2019, 12:14:38 PM »
I would not truck a sleeping bag along for the whole trip just for a few nights on the Inca trail.  Get a liner, and rent the bag from them.  It can get COLD up there, and you do not want to show up with the wrong weight of sleeping bag.  I do not know what company you are doing the hike with, but when we went, the sleeping bags were very clean, and only used 3-4 times before they were cycled to their guides/porters to use.  You are trusting them to get you over the trail safely, feed you well, yet you are worried about their cleanliness standards?  Granted it was over 10 years ago that I spent weeks backpacking there - but I can tell you that every place I stayed in Peru was cleaner than most of the US hotels we stayed in just recently. Ick.

Rocky Mtn FI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2019, 04:05:58 PM »
I have no idea how reputable this particular outfitter is, but as a matter of basic procedure, washing a sleeping bag isn't difficult.  Toss in washing machine, toss in dryer, hang.

That's especially true for a commercial outfitter that doesn't need or expect its rental sleeping bag to last for decades and doesn't have the incentive to treat them as gingerly as I might treat my own nice down bag that I buy specifically with longevity in mind.

That said, I agree with the others that bringing a liner is the solution to your problem.  Have fun!

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2019, 07:26:43 PM »
Alright guys, you've beaten me into submission!  I'm going with the liner.

Truly appreciate getting some commonsense advice.  Thank you to everyone who contributed. 

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2019, 11:41:41 AM »
Rent a bag.
After hiking all day, the sleeping bag is the least of your concerns, you are going to be the ick factor stinking it up for the next user.