Author Topic: ACA Questions  (Read 2135 times)

Scotland2016

• Stubble
ACA Questions
« on: September 07, 2017, 07:28:11 PM »
Hello, mustachians! My family and I need ACA coverage for at least a few months. I completed the application this weekend and just uploaded my required documents. My questions are:

1) Now that I've uploaded my documents, what's a reasonable estimate for how long it will take to get approved?

2) I applied for coverage starting October 1, 2017. Do I need to complete a second application for coverage in 2018?

Thanks in advance.

Scotland2016

• Stubble
Re: ACA Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 09:55:00 AM »
Thank you! I'm looking into Navigators.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 12:23:03 PM »
1.  It probably depends on your state and how competently run the exchange is.  In my state, I applied sometime in early- to mid-February and was able to start on March 1, so it was pretty fast.

2.  Yes, you will need to go through some process to continue your coverage in 2018.  In my case, though, they already know that I'm on an ACA plan, so the renewal process is easier than signing up initially.  I don't remember the details, but they basically ask if your income is still the same, and if you want to still continue with the ACA, and if you still want to stay on the same plan.  If so, you basically just say "yes" and things continue on, perhaps with a somewhat higher premium.  This enrollment period for 2018 will be from 11/1/17 to 12/15/17.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 12:45:46 PM »
Navigators may be hard to find right now. From what I understand the current administration has allowed the funding for Navigators to lapse so layoffs are happening because everyone is out of money. Not sure if that varies state to state. They are waiting to here when additional funding is going to be awarded targeting 2018 enrollment.