Author Topic: ACA & HSA - Yeah, they don't exist...  (Read 4087 times)

TheDudeReturns

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
ACA & HSA - Yeah, they don't exist...
« on: December 16, 2015, 09:27:58 AM »
So I see everyone just gushing over HSAs on here, but I for one have never seen one offered on any plan in my area via the ACA marketplace system. Just curious if I'm being stupid.

I have looked at all the plans with an annual deductible that is not less than $1,300 for self-only coverage or $2,600 for family coverage, and the annual out-of-pocket expenses (deductibles, co-payments, and other amounts, but not premiums) do not exceed $6,450 for self-only coverage or $12,900 for family coverage. None are eligible per the ACA website.

Is this because you have to go and find a HSA plan on your own elsewhere? Do they (IRS + HSA administrator) just look at the deduction and OOPM limits when seeing if you can fund the HSA and receive the tax benefits? Thanks!

jorjor

• Bristles
Re: ACA & HSA - Yeah, they don't exist...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 09:49:52 AM »
I've seen HSA-eligible plans offered on the individual market, but definitely not as prominent as for group plans. Two major reasons (or beliefs):

1. They aren't a big selling point on the individual/Exchange market. Most individuals aren't seeking out HSA eligible plans and aren't starting their own HSA accounts. Remember, we are different here than most. In group plans, employers can sweeten the pot by offering an HSA contribution to their employees which makes them more palatable to the masses.
2. People like fixed copayments, so plans are offered with fixed copayments. Fixed copayments that aren't subject to the deductible disqualify a plan from HSA eligibility, regardless if deductible/OOP max limitations are met.

Whether or not those beliefs about consumer preferences are true, the belief that they are true is there.

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 10:00:47 AM »
I'm not really sure why you aren't finding those HDHPs. I see there are 6 on the exchange for my state; the year I was on the exchange, I had a catastrophic, hsa-eligible plan...

jorjor

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 10:05:50 AM »
I'm not really sure why you aren't finding those HDHPs. I see there are 6 on the exchange for my state; the year I was on the exchange, I had a catastrophic, hsa-eligible plan...

I can certainly see states that have only a couple insurers on the Exchange not having an HSA eligible plan.

And catastrophic plans aren't HSA eligible anymore since the design is defined and outside the allowable HSA ranges. In 2016, catastrophic plans are required to have a $6,850 deductible and OOP max. The maximum OOP in a HSA eligible plan in 2016 can be no greater than $6,550. It's different because the IRS and CMS index their limits differently (which is dumb).

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 10:18:17 AM »
And catastrophic plans aren't HSA eligible anymore since the design is defined and outside the allowable HSA ranges. In 2016, catastrophic plans are required to have a $6,850 deductible and OOP max. The maximum OOP in a HSA eligible plan in 2016 can be no greater than $6,550. It's different because the IRS and CMS index their limits differently (which is dumb).

geez..really dumb
Thanks for that clarification.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 12:00:36 PM »
It really depends on what's available in your state. When I have looked at my local (Washington) exchange there are several plans offered (including a silver plan or two) that specifically call out their HSA eligibility.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 12:30:31 PM »
My state's exchange has "HSA eligible" as a search option. What state are you in? You could also check if your state has an eHealthInsurance plan that's HSA eligible: https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/

Altons Bobs

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 10:26:10 PM »
Yeah, there are a lot of HSA plans available on the Marketplace in my area.  But if your income is so low that you also get Cost Sharing Reduction subsidy, it knocks down the deductible and out of pocket and even if a plan is classified as HSA, it's no longer HSA when the deductible and OOP get too low to qualify as one.