Author Topic: AC power adapter recommendations for China?  (Read 2747 times)

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
AC power adapter recommendations for China?
« on: July 29, 2017, 11:50:44 AM »
I'm based in the US and may soon be traveling to China on business.  Would like recommendations
for a power adapter/converter to handle laptop and cell phone.  Ideally it would handle both polarized
and 3-prong plugs as well as USB charging.  Thanks.

Edit:  Laptop is a Lenovo ThinkPad, which accepts 100 - 240V, so no converter is necessary.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 11:59:00 AM by Rubic »

schmerna

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: AC power adapter recommendations for China?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 09:39:44 AM »
I bought the one linked below.  It worked well for charging my computer and phone.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004OHFFGY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 10:17:00 AM »
We also take a travel power strip rated for 220v use. It has multiple US & USB sockets with a US plug on the end which only requires 1 adapter for the specific country. It has a short wrap around power cord that makes it easier to use with all the socket locations we encounter. All of our power bricks that we plug into the power strip have built-in dual conversion.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 02:47:11 AM »
Most laptop and cellphone chargers are already universal voltage (look at the label), in which case all you need is the adapter plug.

Just buy an xiaomi power strip.
https://nis-store.com/power-strips/xiaomi-mi-power-strip-3-sockets-3-usb-ports-black/

EarthSurfer

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 03:39:49 AM »
The plug adapters listed previously with the angled prongs are fine for Mainland China.

Hong Kong uses a "Great Britain" Type plug. https://www.amazon.com/Ceptics-Hong-Kong-Travel-Adapter/dp/B0080R95XI/

I have found the "universal cubes," many with USB chargers, to be finicky beasts. These can be useful in an airport situation if you only have access to one outlet and "must" charge a phone and laptop at the same time. (Generally better to charge the phone from the laptop. Do Lenovo ThinkPad notebooks still have the yellow high current USB connector for faster phone charging?)

I much prefer a few simple adapters. I have carried a small bag essentially consisting of two REI universal plug kits for 20 years of business and personal travel. (https://www.rei.com/product/775152/rei-co-op-universal-adapter-plug-kit-set-of-4)

For travel en route, most aircraft with power at the seats will have a universal type outlet which will accept a US plug, as will most airline lounges. Outlets in the general concourses will tend to be for the host country.

Most China hotels catering to business and western travelers will have 1 or 2 universal outlets in the desk. I have also seen a simpler "universal outlet" (no ground/earth) in many bathrooms intended for electric shavers. These are usually rated for 100 watts, and will readily handle most laptops and USB chargers.

As several have mentioned, only take a 220 V power strip. Standard US power strips with surge protection will quickly become a smoky mess when the protection circuit "blows" and shorts out the source outlet. You will not be considered a friendly American traveler when you blow the circuit breaker on the airport concourse.

Have FUN for me!

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 05:27:56 AM »
Most informative.  Thanks to everyone for your useful replies!

sturmgewehr762

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 12:43:08 PM »
The street price in Asia for adapters like this is about 20 to 25 cents.  I travel to Asia about twice a year and would never pay US prices for adapters.