Author Topic: ? about ACA eligibility for part-year student  (Read 1173 times)

mcneally

• Bristles
? about ACA eligibility for part-year student
« on: July 28, 2020, 02:41:55 PM »
My 29 year old sister is quitting her job for her final semester of school and will lose health insurance coverage in January. Can she receive ACA coverage/ subsidies for the first half of the year based on estimated 2021 income for the 2nd half of the year (maybe $25k for half year employment), even if the potential future employer will presumably provide health insurance? I understand if income is estimated at zero (which her income will be during school), there would be no subsidy.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
Re: ? about ACA eligibility for part-year student
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 04:11:28 PM »
Yes, although she'll probably have to talk to someone and perhaps write a letter.  The state agency which approves her APTC may give her more or less grief before approving it.  The amount of grief varies by state.

ETA:  Of course she should only get ACA insurance until she gets on her employer plan.  Also, if her income estimate is off she'll have to account for the difference on her taxes.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 04:13:29 PM by secondcor521 »

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 04:59:29 PM »
...if income is estimated at zero (which her income will be during school), there would be no subsidy.
If you live in a non Medicaid expansion state there is a gap from 0-100 FPL.  In an expansion state she could go on Medicaid for the first six months and then pop into a ACA plan when income increases.

mcneally

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 06:52:46 PM »
Thanks

Peachtea

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 05:51:14 AM »
I live in a Medicaid expansion state (IL) and my husband (then boyfriend) was not eligible for Medicaid while enrolled as a student. Although this was back in 2014. He paid the full premium for an ACA plan for a few months until he started working full-time. Schools often offer very expensive insurance plans for students. A Full-premium (silver) ACA plan was way cheaper for him.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 06:31:55 AM »
I live in a Medicaid expansion state (IL) and my husband (then boyfriend) was not eligible for Medicaid while enrolled as a student. Although this was back in 2014. He paid the full premium for an ACA plan for a few months until he started working full-time. Schools often offer very expensive insurance plans for students. A Full-premium (silver) ACA plan was way cheaper for him.
I don't know why he wouldn't be eligible, the expansion started 1/1/2014.  The only eligibility test is income under 138% of the Federal Poverty Level.

Peachtea

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 06:26:25 PM »
I don't know why he wouldn't be eligible, the expansion started 1/1/2014.  The only eligibility test is income under 138% of the Federal Poverty Level.

Hmm. At the time, he filled out an application on IL’s marketplace. I remember it saying he wasn’t eligible for assistance (or something to that effect) and I thought it referred to his status as a student. Maybe there was a separate Medicaid form he should have filled out then? My understanding was the application was for both. But the regular ACA premium wasn’t much more than what he paid in premiums at his prior employer (before quitting to move with me to IL) so we didn’t really look into it after getting that notification.