Author Topic: AARP. Is it worth it?  (Read 2563 times)

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
AARP. Is it worth it?
« on: April 30, 2019, 01:52:11 PM »
I’ve been looking at AARP. Seem to have a lot of discounts for we who hate to pay full retail. Is it worth the cost of membership?

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
Re: AARP. Is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 02:48:35 PM »
I sugest this would be better in Post Fire, more likely to be more people 55 and over.
I don't know the answer but, would like to know.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 02:49:02 PM »
We didn’t use it as you can get other discount for free.

Saving in Austin

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 11:08:17 PM »
Not worth it.

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 11:49:49 AM »
We have chosen not to join. 

I'm not sure if AARP has an official policy position on grandparent rights, but after seeing several articles they have published that seem to support it, I cannot give this organization any money.

We are opposed to grandparents rights and unfortunately know what it like to get to the point where you have to sever the grandparent/grandchild relationship for the best interest and safety of your children.  I've heard too many stories in my online support group for this issue where sympathetic seeming grandparents manage to get court ordered visitation with their grandkids.  Typically the grandparent in question has done decades of abuse to the adult child but is very manipulative and cunning with the court system.  I can even imagine a court forcing you to send your child to visit unsupervised with your abuser.  It's really sad.    Old people tend to vote in greater numbers, so grandparent rights are being expanded in many states.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 06:11:01 AM »
You can join at any age now. We did because it gets us more discount on our phones that the annual cost of membership. Haven't used any other discount, though, and did have to call to get them to stop sending a mountain of snail mail (but they did stop after one request).

Rcc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 02:26:23 PM »
Timely. Mrs Rcc got her "join now" letter as shes approaching turning 30 for the 20th time this year. Between the two of us the potential discounts appear to justify the currently $16/yr - and I get a spousal membership free.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 04:10:46 PM »
It's pretty cheap. The magazine is nice. I'm an Old Person and happy to join the Old Person lobby.I don't really do much that requires discounts, though.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 10:20:24 AM »
AARP is the biggest, best known, but not the only one.
Association of Mature American Citizens (AMAC) is less political.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 11:08:21 AM »
Might as well just give drug companies your money.  That's who they're really lobbying for.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 11:56:53 AM »
You can join at any age now. We did because it gets us more discount on our phones that the annual cost of membership. Haven't used any other discount, though, and did have to call to get them to stop sending a mountain of snail mail (but they did stop after one request).
Any age, I didn't know that.
 My daughter got an AARP application when she was 4 yrs old. I got a red crayon and wrote
back to thme on their paper work,
"my daddy says you just want to take money from young people and give it to old people"
 Hmm, never got a response. :-)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!