Author Topic: AAA auto renew  (Read 7379 times)

Zx

• Bristles
AAA auto renew
« on: August 02, 2015, 09:46:37 PM »
Has anyone ever dealt with AAA auto renewal?

We've NEVER been on auto renew with these guys, but I just saw on my checking account a "pending" withdrawal of 143 dollars for annual membership dues.

I tried to cancel my account online. Can't do it. I tried to turn OFF auto renew online. Can't do it. Can't call them tonight to cuss them out for the gall of putting our account in auto renew status so that they could sneak out another year of dues.

Not really sure I can dispute this debit to my checking account, either. I'm so pissed right now I guess it is good I couldn't get in touch with anyone from AAA. I'm fairly sure how this is going to play out. No, they won't refund money and no, they can't cancel an account that is paid for.

They will delete my payment info, then next year I will be charged again and no one will remember that I asked to have my payment info deleted.

Can't wait for their offices to open tomorrow. Someone is going to get an ear full.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
Re: AAA auto renew
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 09:52:09 PM »
Take a deep breath.  AAA is pro rata anyway, so worst case is you'd pay for the day or two of service it takes before you get them on the phone to cancel.  Actually, based on my years of AAA experience, I'd bet they will simply apologize and refund it in full.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 06:50:11 AM »
I have also found AAA to be very pleasant to deal with.  I haven't actually subscribed for several years after a friend told me her story.  She did not have AAA and had a flat she could not change herself.  She called AAA and they let her sign up right then over the phone and sent someone out to change her tire. 

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 06:54:14 AM »
$143? Wow, the dues have gone up. I find that my car insurance carrier provides roadside assistance coverage for under $10/year. Maybe a better option for some people.

The_path_less_taken

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 07:15:10 AM »
I had AAA for years...living in the mountains, driving ancient vehicles.

Then somebody talked me into AAA insurance, their agent said "oh, just get the minimum: you'll be fine" and got in a wreck a week later and lost everything, so canceled it.

They canceled my roadside assistance card. I was furious: I had been paying for that stupid card for over ten years! I'm a loyal customer, your agent talks me into stupid advice and I quit a separate service and you punish me by cancelling something I've had/paid on for a decade?

A year later they sent me a 'come back to AAA' card offer. Pft!

SomedayStache

• Pencil Stache
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 07:22:24 AM »
The yearly fee for my husband and I is only $85.

This seems like something I should cancel, but in the last year we've been towed by them twice and I've locked my keys in the car once.  Guess I'll keep paying.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 07:34:00 AM »
$143? Wow, the dues have gone up. I find that my car insurance carrier provides roadside assistance coverage for under $10/year. Maybe a better option for some people.
This. Roadside assistance through my insurance (Progressive) is super cheap.

Also, I'm pretty sure they will let you cancel when you call them up.

Zx

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 07:29:19 PM »
You were all correct. They wouldn't talk to me because my wife was primary on the account. When she called, the first person was rather rude and hung up on my wife. She called back and got someone else the next time, and that person cheerfully complied with our requests.

Still annoys me to no end, though. You can't turn auto renew off online, you can't cancel your account online, you have to call them...I guess so they can make a play to keep you. I don't like auto renew on anything.

Since I got into the stachian way of life, the only person who can be frivolous with my money is ME. No one else gets a shot at it...or else! :) And when I'm foolish with my cash, I punch myself in the face once for every 5 bucks, too. If it goes over a hundred, I take a baseball bat to my shins. Oh yes, I'm playing for keeps.

pk_aeryn

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 09:51:16 AM »
The really scary thing about AAA renewal is this: I have them bill my CC.  One year it was stolen, so I got a new card/account number.  Without updating my info with them, the renewal went through with no "your card is no longer valid" contact.  I don't know how they do that....

Zx

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 05:20:33 PM »
Yes that is strange. Your old card and old number got charged, but somehow it showed up on your new card with new number? Not sure I like the sound of that.