Author Topic: A Year with no expenses, keeping full income. What would you accomplish?  (Read 1154 times)

wealthviahealth

• Stubble
I have an opportunity to live rent/major expense free for the next year which is an incredibly fortunate opportunity I had previously not imagined.  Im moving across the country to a much cheaper location and will temporarily bunk up with the fam as I look into buying a home or finding my next location to rent. For the last 6 years I have had total monthly expenses of around $3000 living in such high COL areas and I am trying to conceptualize what this opportunity could actually allow for. 
I would love to know what others who have been in such a situation have been able to accomplish financially/personally/professionally.
I have no debt, ahead of savings/investments for my age, and will now be in a location where home ownership could make sense.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
I've been in similar situations in the past where I worked in a field station that included room & board, so my total expenses for the year would be just a couple $k

Pretty boring, but I used the opportunity to really boost my investments, starting with my IRA and then taxable savings (a 401/403 was not available to me). My salary wasn't great but the uber-low expenses still allowed me to sock away a few thousand each month.  I didn't really have a plan for the money at the time, but eventually the money saved was converted to a downpayment for our first home.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
I could pay off about half my house, which would seriously advance my FI(re?) goal.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
I had a financially similar situation, but the context was very different.  I was deployed to Iraq twice, and got to save nearly all my income (tax free as well) for the time.

Between the savings and the GI Bill, I was able to build up enough of a stache that I was able to get my MBA and come out the other end with a positive net worth.  It was a great investment, and could be something to consider if you're at a life stage where further education would be valuable.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
It might be worth your time to lay out a full case study. If we knew your expected rate of savings each month, your current stash, which tax-deferred investment vehicles available to you and the likely cost of a home in your area we could give more specific advice.

Just based on what you shared, I would max out all tax-deferred investment options first then start saving for a down payment in a high interest savings account.