Author Topic: A week in Puerto Rico  (Read 3557 times)

REAL WORLD EXPAT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
A week in Puerto Rico
« on: November 24, 2015, 10:55:47 AM »
So looking for a destination for a weeks vacation in March - looking for nice warm (80F's plus) weather, some hiking and some beaches. Considering Puerto Rico and was wondering if anyone had any advice, recommendations or suggestions on its suitability as a vacation destination for (safe) hiking and beaches?

None of the vacationers on this trip have anything but the most basic Spanish (though I am looking to learn) ability.

KaizenSoze

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: A week in Puerto Rico
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 11:52:02 AM »
We went around that time a few years ago. VRBO or Airbnb is your best friend. There are $100 a night condos right next to $300 a night hotels on the beach. We just stayed around San Juan. We could walk to the grocery store to save money. The beaches are very pretty, there is crime but we did have any trouble. It's very beautiful in general, the old city is a good way to spend a day.

Are you looking for anything particular?

Meowmalade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Like "Marmalade". Not like an ailing French cat.
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 12:16:50 PM »
I visited Puerto Rico about ten years ago.  The thing that amazed me the most was that you land, and your cell phone works without roaming, you don't have to change money, and once you drive out past all the Bed Bath and Beyond and Walgreens you have access to all these beautiful beaches and the rainforest. 

We stayed in the El Yunque (pronounced El Junque) rainforest for a couple of days and I really recommend that area for hiking.  There are a lot of local beach options, but we took a very short flight on a tiny plane to Culebra (recommended by a Puerto Rican friend), which had the most spectacular white sand beaches with crystal clear water that I've ever seen.

I also remember that we kayaked at the bioluminescent bay in Fajardo and it was one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had.  There are these tiny organisms in the water that light up when there's motion, so every sweep of the oar results in a trail of sparkles in the water.  You have to make sure to go on a less moonlit night for this.  One of my friends who went recently said that they no longer let you jump in the water (due to sunscreen and other chemicals on your skin), but that it was still incredible.

I know very little Spanish and we had no problems there.  They have a good tourist infrastructure and you'd also have no problems driving (although be careful on the dirt roads in the rainforest-- we got stuck in the mud and had to get pulled out!).  You have to be more careful around San Juan (the touristy areas like Old San Juan are safer), but we felt completely safe once we left the big city.

oldmannickels

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 12:35:47 PM »
I recommend Rincon. Lots of great surfing and beaches. Very safe and laid back.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 02:29:41 PM »
I went for a week a few years ago. It's a great place to visit. Old San Juan is nice. We spent a day hiking in El Yunque and really liked it. At the top of the trail we could see the sea in most directions. The beaches are nice, the water is warm, the food is good. Road signs are in Spanish and it is very much the native language there, but most everyone you'll encounter as a tourist also speaks English well enough.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 07:54:12 PM »
We went for a week two years ago-got a Hotwire rental car for $100 for the week and stayed at a luxury hotel near the rain forest. Because we had a car, we were able to load up at the grocery store. DH and I bought a glass of wine and a draft beer at the lobby bar upon arrival - then just refilled with our own all week. We were there just to get warm on the beach, and it was fantastic. The restaurant on property were crazy expensive, but you could drive 5 minutes away and pay 95% less. The car paid for itself just in airport transfer costs, not to mention cheap liquor.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 08:39:08 PM »
I also remember that we kayaked at the bioluminescent bay in Fajardo and it was one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had.  There are these tiny organisms in the water that light up when there's motion, so every sweep of the oar results in a trail of sparkles in the water.  You have to make sure to go on a less moonlit night for this.  One of my friends who went recently said that they no longer let you jump in the water (due to sunscreen and other chemicals on your skin), but that it was still incredible.

+ 1000!!!

I came to this thread to suggest this very thing. Nighttime kayaking in the bioluminescent bay in Fajardo is one of the coolest experiences in my life. I also got to jump in the water and swim. Some people in my group were afraid to do that. Meh...

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!