Author Topic: A week in Iceland  (Read 2196 times)

REAL WORLD EXPAT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
A week in Iceland
« on: July 18, 2017, 04:53:56 PM »
Thinking of taking a week vacation in Iceland (seems the in place to go these days) - anyone have any experiences going there? Don't want to feel rushed or be driving all day but would like to get out and see a bit of the island.

Thanks in advance for any tips - we'll be flying from Chicago if that makes any difference.

Goldy

• Bristles
Re: A week in Iceland
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 08:27:36 AM »
We just spent 5 days in Iceland and loved it.  I'd recommend searching for a 5 day trip plan, I think my wife found one on Pinterest that was spot on.  The best part of our trip was the diamond beach and the area around Hofn.  There are rustic hot springs on a farmers field that you can visit for 5 bucks and you get a nice view of the glaciers while you soak.  We stopped at a bunch of the glaciers and waterfalls which are incredible. Vik is a great place if you want to see puffins.  We put some miles on but with the scenery it didn't feel like much driving at all.  The golden loop was good and the national park was the highlight of the trip for my wife.

We got groceries instead of eating out to keep costs down, there is a Bonus grocery store just a couple miles away from the airport that had good prices.  Oh, and the Icelandic hot dogs are very good, we found the best one was at the green gas station in Hofn.  Seriously, try it.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 09:10:37 AM »

MiserlyMiser

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 01:54:50 PM »
I visited Iceland in April and I loved it.  Definitely go!  But if you're going during the high season, you should book accommodation in advance.  In April, I didn't have to--I rented a car and found rooms through Air B&B on the fly, usually on the day (or evening) of.  But I have a friend traveling there now (highest of the high season) who started booking weeks in advance and still had trouble vacancies outside of Reykjavik. 
And, I think Air B&B and hostels are the way to go, if you're planning to spend any nights outside of Reykjavik.  The towns are small and hotels are *very* few and far between.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!