Author Topic: A stoic life  (Read 3183 times)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
A stoic life
« on: March 02, 2014, 06:42:54 PM »
I am reading "A guide to the good life," which MMM highly recommends and can definitely see why. The principles laid out in this book are very insightful and if followed will definitely bring me more joy in my life. There are too many things that I let bother me that truly shouldn't, and many things that I take for granted that I shouldn't.

Has anyone here been living, or trying to live, a stoic lifestyle? To what extent? Do you have close friends that also do so? Any advice?

DougStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: A stoic life
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 11:06:38 AM »
Such a great book; I'd like to re-read it, and I just read it ~6 months ago.

I'd say many of us around these parts of the internet are stoics.  As I was reading the book, I would routinely imagine life without a few things while walking the dog, and it really does have a great impact on your happiness.  I truly appreciated what I have when I performed that exercise.  Lately, I haven't been consciously doing that quite as much, but I do feel like I appreciate what I have and don't mind myself always wanting more.

I believe the thing that stuck with me the most was to clump things into what you have control over, and what you don't.  It's a logical thing to do, but for some reason that book really hit it home.  I noticed my general stress levels drop quite a bit once I made a conscious effort to ignore things outside of my control.

One funny thing I gathered was his "extreme" example of riding the bus "like a poor person" for a week to appreciate your car.  I ride the bus to work daily, and that line cracked me up.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 11:17:53 AM »
Totally. I'm NOT saying I'm good at it (I'm still a total wimp compared to most here), but the stoic outlook has really helped me in various areas of my life. For instance, I used to have sometimes crippling work anxiety related to fear of failure; internalizing my goals (focusing on virtuous action rather than outcomes) has helped immensely with that.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 03:36:33 PM by dcheesi »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 06:28:30 PM »
What hit me home was the point about not doing certain things, like eating fine foods. That way when we do eat good things we enjoy them. In addition, when we eat rich things, we find ourselves wanting it more and more, this is certainly true for me, as each time I eat something good I want more of it rather than being sated.