Author Topic: A mustachian place to meet an acquaintance?  (Read 4100 times)

mushroom

• Handlebar Stache
A mustachian place to meet an acquaintance?
« on: March 11, 2013, 10:45:44 AM »
Having just moved back to a city where I used to live, I find myself wanting to extend invitations to some acquaintances to meet up for an hour or so, but nothing comes to mind except coffee shops or restaurants.

We are currently subletting a studio for one month with a mattress on the floor and two camp chairs for furniture, and then moving into a one-bedroom that we will slowly fill up with Craigslist furniture over time, so we're not really in great shape to invite anyone over right now.

Now with good friends I could be imaginative with free concerts, outdoor activities, invite them over anyway who cares, etc. but what about a work acquaintance you want to catch up with or someone who you don't really know well and want to limit the damage to an hour just in case? Any thoughts besides establishments where you have to buy overpriced food and drink?

frugalcalan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: A mustachian place to meet an acquaintance?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 10:58:57 AM »
- Some libraries have meeting rooms

- Perhaps some sort of free exhibit (art, cultural, whatever)

- A lot of fancy grocery stores have really nice "cafe" areas, but with less obligation to buy things.  If you are in Chicago, the Mariano's on Halstad is great!

- If you want to go REALLY cheap, you could always try the lobby of a nice hotel.  But if anybody does want to buy a drink/food, there's no option for that

mushroom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 11:15:09 AM »
Yikes, how did you know I was in Chicago? :P

Thanks for the ideas. You've also now got me thinking about going to cheap restaurants with good value for the money. I hadn't thought about it much because I've really been trying to cut down on eating out (my main area of weakness besides travel), but I feel a lot better spending $6 for a giant bowl of pho than $4 on coffee or tea I can make at home.

I do think I would feel like a giant cheapskate inviting someone to hang out in the lobby of a fancy hotel, though. Although the Drake is really nice around Christmas :).

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 11:23:47 AM »
Those fancy hotels often have equally fancy bars, though, from which a Mustachian can order a club soda with lemon and anyone who wants a coffee or cocktail can get one. Not a bad idea, actually.

mustachecat

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 11:28:46 AM »
You could meet at a bar during happy hour and nurse a single drink, or just order a seltzer, which is usually free (I still tip).

Or you could suggest meeting in a public park for a brisk walk. I go on walks with my friends, and it's really nice.

Often, there are cafes in big-box bookstores, and it seems like no big deal to grab a table there.

frugalcalan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 12:29:01 PM »
Yikes, how did you know I was in Chicago? :P

Really?  Quite a lucky guess!  I was at that Mariano's the other day, and was impressed by how they turned a grocery store into a hangout spot.

If you are more north, this might also be an option: http://www.yelp.com/biz/capital-one-360-caf%C3%A9-chicago-2

JT

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 03:13:27 AM »
Hi

How about a walk and talk around a nice park?

cheers
JT

mushroom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 07:11:06 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Too bad it's supposed to snow the next couple of days - isn't it supposed to be spring soon?