Author Topic: A Magical Fridge...  (Read 7490 times)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
Re: A Magical Fridge...
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2018, 10:55:04 AM »
1. Magical pill that fulfills all caloric and dietary needs in a healthy/long-term manner

I would want that too. The closest thing I’ve found to this is MealSquares, which have been great for when we are too lazy to cook but don’t want to spend a fortune on a healthy meal out or eat a cheap unhealthy meal out.

I went to the MealSquares website. How do these things taste? They are all the same flavor?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2018, 11:05:56 AM »
4.  Precooked bacon
Why would you want someone else to cook your bacon and lose out on the bacon aroma and rendered fat?

'Cause I'm lazy and my house is so tight the aroma lingers longer than I'd like it to.

I don't get people who have a problem with the smell of food.  If the food smells delicious enough for me to put it in my body, I'm OK with the smell of delicious food hanging around my house.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 11:27:08 AM by GuitarStv »

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2018, 11:10:23 AM »
4.  Precooked bacon
Why would you want someone else to cook your bacon and lose out on the bacon aroma and rendered fat?

'Cause I'm lazy and my house is so tight the aroma lingers longer than I'd like it to.

Mmmmm, onions, garlic, bacon...best aromas ever!

I don't get people who have a problem with the smell of food.  If the food smells delicious for me to put it in my body, I'm OK with the smell of delicious food hanging around my house.

jc4

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2018, 02:10:09 PM »
I think you guys are all missing the best way to take advantage of this.

1. Burrito bowl w/ tortillas or fajitas
2. Poke bowls
3. Steak Dinners (Steak, Salad, Potato)
4. A good pasta salad: Greek Olives, Chicken, etc
5. A randomly changing bottle of wine.

Why bother with ingredients, when you can skip all the prep and other shopping too. Plus you get way more items out of your fridge.

Bonus point if you come up with a set of dishes that you can repurpose for more variety.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2018, 02:13:34 PM »

Why bother with ingredients, when you can skip all the prep and other shopping too. Plus you get way more items out of your fridge.

...because some (most?) of us find meal prep and meal variety to be enjoyable?  If given the choice between having all of my meals presented to me off a limited choice menu or having to prepare all of my own meals with no restrictions, I'd take the latter in a heartbeat.  YMMV.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2018, 02:31:48 PM »
Mangos, Avocados, Raspberries, Cheese, Milk

I'd consider the items I listed to consist of a pretty good meal in their own right.

BECABECA

• Bristles
  • Retired since July 2017, not bored yet!
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2018, 02:52:24 PM »
1. Magical pill that fulfills all caloric and dietary needs in a healthy/long-term manner

I would want that too. The closest thing I’ve found to this is MealSquares, which have been great for when we are too lazy to cook but don’t want to spend a fortune on a healthy meal out or eat a cheap unhealthy meal out.

I went to the MealSquares website. How do these things taste? They are all the same flavor?

I think they taste pretty good, like a dense chocolate chip scone. They are very dense though so it’s best to have with a big glass of water, tea, or milk. Here’s a review of them that I think is pretty accurate:
https://www.businessinsider.com/i-tried-mealsquares-product-review-2015-11

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2018, 05:26:13 PM »
1. Salmon
2. Raspberries
3. Sharp Cheddar
4. Milk
5. Butter

The most expensive items that I never get tired of, plus milk and butter because I always seem to run out of them right when I want to bake.

jc4

• Stubble
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2018, 07:18:39 AM »
I totally agree. I'd still buy what I want and cook when I have the time because I enjoy cooking and the variety. It's just tough to do all the time. I figured I'd use the magical fridge to cover as much default ground as possible.

I was also thinking I'd canabalize magical fridge components for other meals. Ie. Ground steak + guac from burrito bowl >> fancy guac burgers. Chicken from pasta salad and veggies from burrito bowl gets you half way to a chicken pot pie. Baked Potatoes + burito bowl cheese >> mashed potatoes. I still want variety. Just figured I could really maximize the MAGIC of the fridge.

...because some (most?) of us find meal prep and meal variety to be enjoyable?  If given the choice between having all of my meals presented to me off a limited choice menu or having to prepare all of my own meals with no restrictions, I'd take the latter in a heartbeat.  YMMV.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2018, 07:31:21 AM »
I totally agree. I'd still buy what I want and cook when I have the time because I enjoy cooking and the variety. It's just tough to do all the time. I figured I'd use the magical fridge to cover as much default ground as possible.

... that's why I chose a $100 bill in my list of 5 magically replaced things inside the fridge :-P