Author Topic: a lot of expenses coming up...which credit card would be good?  (Read 1460 times)

MountainTown

• Bristles
We have a $4100 car repair, tons of medical bills, insurance payment, auto taxes due, and regular bills coming up in the next 1-2 months. I anticipate we may need to spend $8000 in the next 2 months and maybe $15000 in the next 3-4 months with some medical bills (IVF). I'm not sure how much of this can be paid with credit card...but if it can I am hoping to maximize with miles.

Any recommendations? Are there any bonuses that require a big amount of expenditures that would be worth it or have more payoff?

I should mention that I am a little hesitant as my wife and I churned a couple credit cards last year and I was hoping to actually wait another 6 months before we did another one. One big reason is that my wife did pay a fee for the Alaska airline card so we could get a companion fare (we were planning a trip to Hawaii). Other than that we have already churned:

Starwood/Marriott: Will be cancelling before renewal fee this year

Delta gold: We frequently fly delta so this one we may actually keep past the renewal. She downgraded her's but mine is worth keeping just for the free bags.

Alaska air: As I said my wife did a promotion last year to get the companion fare. I figured I should wait until we used that until I take advantage of a promotion. I noticed they are offering $100 credits with 40k mile sign up right now so I am tempted!

We haven't done the chase cards yet or the capital one venture card. Part of the reason is because our northwest location is pretty exclusive to delta and alaska air. While we do have united and american airlines....and allegiant...they aren't always the cheapest or best option too the places we go. My understanding is Chase isn't great for Delta but I could be wrong on that.

Any suggestions?

lotus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: a lot of expenses coming up...which credit card would be good?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 08:25:16 PM »
Chase sapphire  has 60k bonus now.
Those points can be used at / value of 1.25 with any airlines through the travel portal.

lotus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 08:28:04 PM »
Chase sapphire Preferred
Recently sent referral to my son for this card

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 02:43:19 AM »
I've been really happy with my Hilton Amex. The sign up bonuses can be pretty big depending upon which card version you choose. Please PM me if you want a referral link.

Bank of America Cash Rewards card lets you choose your 3% cashback category from a menu and drug stores is one of the categories. That might let you get a modest kickback on the prescriptions.

Delta skymiles are called sky pesos for a reason, unfortunately. I wish those miles were worth more, as it is often one of the more convenient airlines for me to fly, but I have found that the number of points they want for various trips seems capricious and arbitrary (unlike SW airlines, for example, which fairly and directly links paying by points to the actual dollar cost of that specific ticket.)

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 08:14:18 AM »
Not what you asked, but $4100 car repair?!?!? Yikes!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 01:07:28 PM »
You did not mention if you intend to carry a balance, in which case the interest rate become exceptionally important, moreso than the points.

MountainTown

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 10:42:55 PM »
I took for granted that on a mustachian forum a balance would be a no-no. Anyways nope--no balance.

Slappy--yup you're telling me. transmission.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 05:17:57 AM »
Capital One Venture or read up on how to get a Chase Business Ink Card for 80,000pts

lutorm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2019, 01:52:03 AM »
For medical bills, the card attached to your FSA/HSA? (I assume the IVF was planned so you maxed out your FSA/HSA knowing these expenses were coming?)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!