Author Topic: Refrigerator broke: Buy new?  (Read 2398 times)

hoyahoyasaxa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Refrigerator broke: Buy new?
« on: December 22, 2014, 06:12:03 PM »
We've lived in our home (we own) in the NY Hudson Valley for about six months, and the refrigerator which came with the house just busted (both freezer and refrigerator are warm). It is a 22-year old, 15.9 cu in. White Westinghouse refrigerator. Our home warranty which the realtors paid for covers the refrigerator but we will be charged $100 for a visit by a technician. Parts online for this unit range in the $100-200 range for temperature control so fixing it ourselves seems out. Would you buy new? If so, any suggestions on what brand/model to get and from where?

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Refrigerator broke: Buy new?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 06:44:46 PM »
I would buy new and use it as an opportunity to get the most energy-efficient model you can find.

Read Consumer Reports for rankings and information on specific models.

We recently did some appliance shopping and I found the best deals at Costco.  (It may be worth the price of membership if you are not already one.)  For your money you get free installation and haul away of your old unit, and I think they also extend the manufacturers warranty by a year or so.  In this day and age that's about the best you'll do, I think.

My general impression is that appliances aren't built to last these days, and wherever you buy it you'll be a bit on your own anyway.  So I would get the best price you can but find a local service company that can service it if it ever breaks down.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
Re: Refrigerator broke: Buy new?
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 06:51:59 PM »
Read the home warranty agreement.  In most cases, if the refrigerator cannot be fixed, the home warranty provides you a new one.  It's unlikely they could find the parts for a 22 year old refrigerator.  You should get an equivalent new refrigerator if the old one cannot be repaired.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!