Author Topic: A job is just a job  (Read 4138 times)

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
A job is just a job
« on: June 28, 2017, 06:44:22 AM »
So I have been with my current organization for a while, but have not made any promotional gains in years; due to leadership and my supervisors telling me I have topped out(in pay) in my position. Another position has opened up in another department that I may be qualified for (have not spoke to that supervisor yet) which offers an instant 10% pay increase, at minimum. The new position is a good deal different than my current one but at this point I dont really care what I am doing in my career as long as I work with decent people and am not over stressed.

Sooo....how do I go about selling this without making it just about the money. I also have the predicament of making this only about the money to my current supervisors since they will know if I apply, and interview, immediately. I guess I can say how i would rather do the new job to the new boss, but if I sell that too hard then word will get back to my old one...predicament.

Current plan is to casually but professionally (if that makes sense) ask other boss what he expects out of the position, at an opportune time, see if I can make a window then discuss how I could assist there. When current boss asks, if such convo happened, say something to the effect of "yeah, if we all apply maybe they will see we need raises over here." That is all I have got for now. Seems weak but maybe I can swing this.

thoughts?

plog

• Bristles
Re: A job is just a job
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 07:01:19 AM »
You open with your concerns about money, more money talk, then one sentence about only caring about low-stress and good people, then back more money talk with some sort of  passive aggressive plan to further talk about money.

So, I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is about money.  Apply for the new job (and others outside your company) and be a grown up to people who ask you about it. 

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 07:48:27 AM »
PLOG- reread it, if you care to. Perhaps you mistook a tone that was not there.

Moustaches-yeah, I think stress would be about the same, generally low with some occasional spikes. Current job has become pretty routine and I could do this till I fire but would rather have more skills and experiences, which this would provide.

The money this is just as it is, it is a 10% minimum pay increase; attractive if the job is a fit. The problem, and why I made this post is that this is all within my organization; current position and the one I am considering. So if I speak to that supervisor, apply, or interview, my current boss will know every detail. Not a big deal if I get the job, but if I don't then I need to have a good reason for wanting to leave; money makes that easy.

Because of my current boss, and the risk this presents this may not be worth pursuing.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 07:50:37 AM by hoping2retire35 »

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 08:11:26 AM »
I think it depends on your company. Mine encourages employees to apply for other jobs in the company that open up. I would always always spin any conversation (with new or old bosses) about trying something new, new development, challenges etc (and not the money), but it sounds like you already know to do that. Stress to old boss that you love your job, and enjoy what you do, but would also like to add to your skills and experience. I don't think there is a problem here at all, most companies encourage this.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 08:21:45 AM »
If the new job wouldn't be as interesting or has more stress, but more money, I would recommend you continue looking until you find something you really want to do 40 hours a week.  Life is too short to coast through your professional life - find something that inspires you and reach for it.

I really struggle with this.  I definitely feel like I'm coasting through my professional life right now.  Every day just seems like a waste.  I do the same unproductive crap, don't learn anything, and I'm bored and apathetic about my job.  I hate feeling this way as I really enjoy doing challenging work and learning new things.  I also want to feel like I'm making a contribution.  Maybe middle management just isn't my thing.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 08:24:22 AM »
I think it depends on your company. Mine encourages employees to apply for other jobs in the company that open up. I would always always spin any conversation (with new or old bosses) about trying something new, new development, challenges etc (and not the money), but it sounds like you already know to do that. Stress to old boss that you love your job, and enjoy what you do, but would also like to add to your skills and experience. I don't think there is a problem here at all, most companies encourage this.
Because of my current boss, and the risk this presents this may not be worth pursuing.
Reading between the lines here, it sounds like the OP's boss may not be one of those "encouraging" sorts. In which case OP really needs to tread carefully.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 08:36:49 AM »
You open with your concerns about money, more money talk, then one sentence about only caring about low-stress and good people, then back more money talk with some sort of  passive aggressive plan to further talk about money.

So, I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is about money.  Apply for the new job (and others outside your company) and be a grown up to people who ask you about it.

PLOG- reread it, if you care to. Perhaps you mistook a tone that was not there.

I read it that way too. 

Aside from that I would first talk to someone in that group to get a feel for the day to day, the manager, the skills/experience that they are looking for so you can handicap your odds of qualifying.  Then from there you can either (a) have a casual call or run in with the other manager for more intel or (b) apply but tell your current manager that you have some interest in this other position emphasizing the development and new challenges that it would offer.

birdiegirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 08:49:07 AM »
You should definitely talk to the hiring manager informally before applying if that is possible.  Ask them some questions about the role and what they're looking for so you can decide if it would be a good fit for you.  Also, you may be lucky and get some feedback or at least a sense of their interest in you.     

If it works out and you decide to apply, you really should tell your current manager that you are applying.  It's much better that they hear it from you, rather than the other manager or HR.  Remember you aren't asking permission, you're just telling them are have an interest in the other position and decided to apply.  Emphasize that you are still happy in your current job but the new role could be an opportunity for you grow.   Don't say anything about money. 

Depends on the personality of your boss but if you handle the situation professionally, it shouldn't cause any hard feelings if you don't get the job.  Are you concerned they will try to retaliate against you in some way? 

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 08:53:08 AM »
If your current boss is not a petty PoS, then you have nothing to worry about. If (s)he is, then you should definitely be looking elsewhere, both inside and outside the company.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 08:53:23 AM »
Reading between the lines here, it sounds like the OP's boss may not be one of those "encouraging" sorts. In which case OP really needs to tread carefully.

I agree, but I didn't want to read between the lines, and it was hard to tell if the OP thought it would be awkward just because it's an in company position, or if their boss is actually a stonewaller.  Those are two very different situations. My (poorly made) point was that at a normal company with a normal boss, applying to another job within the company is generally no issue.

plog

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 09:59:27 AM »
Stand by my original assessment--money is the primary motivation.  That's not a bad thing, but be honest with us and yourself about it...however...

It doesn't mean you have to be honest with those in your organization though.  Everyone knows the right answers to say--"career growth...blah blah blah...opportunity...blah blah blah...new challenges... blah blah blah...expand skillsets blah blah blah".  The more posts you make, this seems more of a question about how to handle this complicated relationship with your current boss that we barely understand.  I don't think its going to be possible for us to understand the nuances unless you explicitly state what your fears are of expressing your interest in this new position.

Has your boss shown vindictiveness in prior situations?  Or perhaps he doesn't like you so much that he might actually be glad to see you go and would be willing to help you leave by getting a new position elsewhere?  Or is your fear mostly in your head and you don't have any past experiences that support your trepidation of pursuing a new position?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 10:01:11 AM by plog »

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 10:17:39 AM »
but would rather have more skills and experiences, which this would provide.

You buried the lede here.  The above is what you tell people. 

First you talk to your current boss, discuss career paths there (acting as if you care), discussing the different kinds of skills and experience you would like to develop, and asking how he can help you get those and what you need to do on your end to be ready for that. 

Then you go talk to the guy with the new job and explain that you are looking for new skills and experience.

Then, if you get the job, you explain to your former boss that this offered a development path that was too tempting to pass up.  If you don't get the job and he finds out about it, you remind him that you are looking to develop your skills and experience and thought this seemed like an interesting option to investigate. 

The end.  Unless your boss is a total dick.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 10:34:02 AM »
I will try to arrange that informal conversation. If I am not absolutely pumped then I'll just forget about it.

Thanks all.