Author Topic: 6.1 km Walk  (Read 6992 times)

Silverwood

• Stubble
6.1 km Walk
« on: September 26, 2013, 07:14:14 PM »
Im moving to a new house that is closer to work!

However, I am moving in Oct.15. I live in Winnipeg, Canada and it starts to get cold then, and can get into -30's by the middle of winter. Having said that I would much rather walk the 6.1 km to work than get a gym pass. Its 10 mins to drive, 20 to bike and an estimated hour to walk. I think I can do better than that but Im not sure.

Does anyone walk that far? How long does it take you? I'm in my late 20s. I work at 630am so Id have to be out of the house by 530 am. I am not to worried about my safety and I plan to dress warmly. If anyone has any tips or advice that would be great.

Deano

• Stubble
Re: 6.1 km Walk
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 07:21:27 PM »
My advice would be to get a fairly cheap mtb, used on kijiji, put fenders on it, reflective tape and some latest-generation lights (crazy power for low dough...usb plub in as well).

You'll get fit from 40 minutes of riding a day and you'll save time. Walking is ok, but only if you really smash it hard, it gets awkward at that point mind you. Better off with the bike.

aaronhann85

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 07:27:34 PM »
I agree with getting a bike. Few people could comfortably walk at a sustained speed of 6km/hr.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 07:51:26 PM »
One of my coworkers walks a bit further than that almost every day in the summer. It could work, but it's definitely a lot of time each way.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 08:00:08 PM »
I'm in my early 20s, and I can sustain just about 6km/h for about 1.5hours, and after that I slow down. That's for exercise, mind you. Although walking to uni I also walked a bit slower than that pace, and in "less sensible" clothes. Granted, I lived in beautiful Australian weather and I can wear t-shirts/shorts for 10months of the year. Not sure how fast you can walk in -30 degrees?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 08:03:37 PM »
Until recently I was walking 5km home on a regular basis. It was great. If anything, my current 3.5km walk is a little too short.

But like Nudelkopf, I'm in Australia where the weather is not nearly so extreme. I'm happy to walk all winter, but when it hits 40 degrees celcius in summer I get the bus.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 08:16:35 PM »
My round trip to the supermarket is, I think, 3.7km. I walk it in the winter still but it's less enjoyable - especially if it's slippery rather than just cold (I live in nearish to Ottawa). Only a couple of times have I been really really cold doing it.

BUT. You'll be doing this when it's pretty much coldest out, it's almost twice as far, and presumably you won't have anywhere to rest/warm up on the way? And you *have* to go, every day.

By all means try it - but don't feel like a failure if you want to get the bus or drive.

I reckon you'd have a hard time doing it in an hour in the winter, on foot. Bike with studded tires would be better.

Diamondpick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Life. There are no second acts.
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 09:58:57 PM »
Get a cheaper bike and put fenders rack and studded tires on it in the winter.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 10:16:47 PM »
Very doable, but I might bump up the intensity to "run" if you have a way to clean up at work, for both the extra workout and the time benefit. I used to do one 3 mile each way walk every week pretty regularly, along with lots of other shorter walks, and I didn't like spending that much time every day going hardly anywhere. I especially wouldn't like doing it every day. If you're cool with it though, more power to ya. I'd guess it would take slightly less than an hour in good weather and considerably more than an hour with winter boots and snow beneath you.

I'd also reconsider biking FWIW, although plenty of other people have pointed that out. I doubt it would ever take you longer than 20 minutes even in the worst snow. Much less in summer.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 12:42:23 AM »
In my 30s I used to jog 6km from work to the Ferry (RPAH to Circular Quay for any Sydney siders). It took about 40mins from memory: its gradual downhill. I used to get the bus in the morning so I didn't have to worry about turning up sweaty/changing etc. I'm quite genetically challenged with regard to athletic genes, but I managed to do it fine and enjoyed it a lot. (ie if I can do it anyone can). I viewed it as combining a commute with my daily exercise.