Author Topic: 5 Years Pre-FIRE: How did you network in new geographic location?  (Read 2424 times)

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
My DH and I are about 5 years from FIRE, and are almost certain that we plan to retire in a university town about three hours away.  It is close to my husband's hometown and within a 45-minute drive from all of our siblings and parents.  We get there often (to see family).  We're not prematurely buying property.  Although we've ID'd a realtor and have had discussions, we're keeping our money working for us for the time being.  But this is not a financial question, but more of a social and networking question.

Without completely gutting our lives in our current location I would like to start to do some "networking" in our future location.  Part of it is reconnaissance to figure out what causes we want to be involved with, but a big part of it is just starting to feel more comfortable so that we can connect socially more quickly once we arrive.  Since I am a CPA (and possibly wanting to continue with part-time work during the tax season), I would also like to get a better sense of the landscape and make some connections.

What advice do other Mustachians have for making this kind of transition based on your own experiences?

fdubz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: 5 Years Pre-FIRE: How did you network in new geographic location?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 10:48:55 AM »
Trudie, I think this forum would be a great place to start looking for all of those things if you wanted to let us know where you're going.  I live in a university town and they certainly are a popular post-FIRE destination for mustachians!  Chances are some of us live/went to college/have researched where you are planning to go.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 11:01:13 AM »
Trudie, I think this forum would be a great place to start looking for all of those things if you wanted to let us know where you're going.  I live in a university town and they certainly are a popular post-FIRE destination for mustachians!  Chances are some of us live/went to college/have researched where you are planning to go.

Ames, Iowa (ISU) is the destination.  My husband works for a college a few hours away and we've always been in/around college towns, so we know what it is we like about them in general.  And we're particularly familiar with Ames (close to my husband's hometown).

I particularly like some of the Mustachian aspects of the town:  low COL, great public transit, nice community feel, bikeable and walkable.  There's enough commerce, but not too much.  We're ISU sports fans.

ISU is the land grant university in Iowa, so there are lots of great extension and outreach programs.  The local community college is also excellent.  The list of things I can see myself considering doing is long:  community gardens volunteer, public library volunteer, establishing my own "serious" kitchen garden/potager, writing a blog or book for fun, cooking classes, volunteering in some capacity at a church, running (with a running club... I've already run with them on a Saturday).  I'm not sure about paid work.  I may continue on as a tax preparer (working with someone else) or as a contract employee for short-term jobs.  I don't want total tyranny of a schedule.

But, knowing a place from a distance and being connected are two different things.  We have lots of acquaintances there (and family nearby).  But we want to establish a deep rootedness, and I know that takes time and effort.  I love my family, but we are also different people and like to spend our free time differently.   Any one of the interests I've listed above probably could be done in relative isolation (and I am an introvert), but I strive to be connected.

lukebuz

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 02:26:43 PM »
ISU Grad here!  Go Ames!  I lived there 6 years.  I just moved out of Iowa (Marshalltown) for Kentucky, but miss it and Ames sometimes.
I'd guess you live in Iowa City now?  As far as low COL, I'd disagree.  Ames real estate is very expensive, compared to even a town a few miles out (Nevada, State Center).  Nationally, not that expensive, or compared to IAC.

As far as networking, do you have any children?  That is a huge in right there.  Church - Ames has huge churches, nay, mega-churches almost.  I'd like to hear more of what you plan to do, as I need to get more involved in my new city and state also!

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 06:01:09 PM »
ISU Grad here!  Go Ames!  I lived there 6 years.  I just moved out of Iowa (Marshalltown) for Kentucky, but miss it and Ames sometimes.
I'd guess you live in Iowa City now?  As far as low COL, I'd disagree.  Ames real estate is very expensive, compared to even a town a few miles out (Nevada, State Center).  Nationally, not that expensive, or compared to IAC.

As far as networking, do you have any children?  That is a huge in right there.  Church - Ames has huge churches, nay, mega-churches almost.  I'd like to hear more of what you plan to do, as I need to get more involved in my new city and state also!

I've lived in Iowa City but we live somewhere else now.  Usually in college towns -- Ames or otherwise -- real estate is in short supply and it's a chunk of change relative to wages.  So, I'm used to it.  But, you're right... compared to Colorado and a few other possible destinations, once you get beyond housing Ames is reasonable.  All depends on your perspective.

We don't have kids, which makes us outsiders in a way.  I'm not a "mega-church" person myself.  The new Ames Public Library is amazing.  I rather groove on its little downtown, love Cy Ride and the fact that there's a decent Target, an Aldi, a bit of retail, but not so much.  We're kind of crazy ISU fans too.