Author Topic: 5 year goal at work  (Read 4622 times)

Retireme32

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
5 year goal at work
« on: January 16, 2014, 06:17:18 AM »
What do you put down as your 5 year goal at your job to your boss - if your real plan is to be retired?  :)   I should add that I am not interested in having a Mustachian conversation with my boss.  :)

Retireme32

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: 5 year goal at work
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 06:22:10 AM »
For question, "do you have a mentor" - can I write down "yes - Mr. Money Mustache"  :)

mamagoose

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 06:33:55 AM »
My real 5-year goal was to be pushing a stroller around my neighborhood... and that came true! :) But if you're looking to please the boss, I think they want to hear the usual lip service. I learned a lot of good stuff from a book called "Corporate Confidential", the author talks about those 'performance reviews' and how managers want to know that you take ownership in the company (hard to do when you're a cog in a ginormous wheel). Good luck with that!

Retireme32

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 08:08:34 AM »
Yeah  - I got off my sarcastic horse and figured out good "team player" type stuff to type in - I actually do mean it - it's just going to be over in about 6 years.  :)  So technically I have a job 5 year plan.   It's actually probably more ambitious and sincere since I can't give myself any more time to meet the goals unlike other people I work with.  :)

vespito

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 09:24:16 AM »
How about "become a mentor"?  Of course, you can leave out the fact that it has to do more with the MMM lifestyle than mentoring your colleagues.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 09:59:43 AM »
I work at a place that doesn't do performance reviews. (Yeah, I know.) Y'all are speaking a foreign language ;)

I would put down any applicable extra certifications or on-the-job training you might get in that field.

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 11:27:23 AM »
I just put what is expected ... Develop bullshit skill x, succeed in bullshit skill y, perform bullshit requirement z, etc.

curler

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 12:43:05 PM »
I'd put down whatever would be true if you weren't going to retire.  Consider what you would do if 4 years from now, for whatever reason, your savings get wiped out.  What would you want to be doing in your job in that situation.

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 08:38:42 PM »

Just say things like you want to continue to contribute in any way possible.  You want to be working at the same intensity levels but producing more because you'll have increased in knowledge, and efficiency, i.e. you'll be leveraging your experience to work smarter. 
I agree with others -- just keep your mouth shut and play the game.  Find a way to say what your manager wants to hear without compromising your integrity.   The more you adhere to what s/he expects you to say, the faster the meeting will be over because fewer questions will be asked.   

You never know about your 5-year retirement plan, anyway.  Things change.  It might turn into a 4-year plan or a 10 year.  You might have to work longer than you think for whatever reason.  So you're not exactly lying.