Author Topic: DeskCycle, mini ellipticals, etc?  (Read 2418 times)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
DeskCycle, mini ellipticals, etc?
« on: December 09, 2016, 08:31:05 PM »
Hey all,

Was curious what you think about something like the DeskCycle where you can pedal under your desk while at work, etc?
https://www.amazon.com/DeskCycle-Exercise-Pedal-Exerciser-White/dp/B00B1VDNQA/

Obviously, there are many proponents here of biking to work and just biking around in general, but do you think this would be a good idea for anyone looking to get in better shape? I try to do HIIT several times a week via Youtube vids and that's great and all, but I really don't think that's enough. I would occasionally bike into work at my last place but now going to full-time WFH and with one kid and another on the way, I just don't get out as much (not like I really did much before either).

It *seems* like it could be beneficial but I dunno... anybody have anything like this or similar? Or do you all think it's just a big waste of money? I figure if I'm going to be sitting most of the day, being able to stationary-cycle doesn't seem like a half-bad idea. I mean, I keep hearing about ppl who are into treadmill desks and what not.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
Re: DeskCycle, mini ellipticals, etc?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 05:29:35 PM »
Anybody?

BTW: I wouldn't consider this a full-on replacement for regular exercising (especially bodyweight exercises and lifting weights) but I do see it as a pretty major supplemental source of cardio. Kind of like "if I'm going to be at a desk most of the day, why not?"

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 05:33:13 PM »
I'd rather have a treadmill desk for sure.  I currently have a standing desk and never lower it. But I wouldn't consider it exercise, just movement. You need both.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 06:45:46 PM »
I'd rather have a treadmill desk for sure.  I currently have a standing desk and never lower it. But I wouldn't consider it exercise, just movement. You need both.

A treadmill would be harder at our place - just no space for something like that. I was considering getting a standing desk too where you can easily raise/lower it (was looking at a pricey one but am seeing if my work can help subsidize the cost a little). I definitely wouldn't consider this to be my main form of exercise but it sounds like you can up the resistance for an actual cardio workout if you really wanted to (not sure I'd do this *while* working haha). I agree though, I still intend to do my HIIT/bodyweight/aerobic/cardio in addition. It's just that I don't end up doing that *every* day even when I want to. This just seems like an efficient way to accomplish the more 'supplemental' form of activity to exercise and I'd be able to do so pretty conveniently.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!